JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I headed to an out of the way shooting area I found around Browns camp today to find some A hole camping in the middle of it! Who are these people? Who sets up camp in an OBVIOUS shooting area? Are they just rude or are they just stupid? This is the second time I've seen this. The first time was at Wildcat when it was open.

Same thing at Salmonberry.
While its odd, I just scoot to the next spot down the road.

I shoot early.. So if I wake them its not my problem. Plenty of spots to camp.. Just not near the primary shooting locations.

I've camped near one of my favorite spots to get some early morning shooting in. However I set up camp at night and left before noon.

I have some favorite camping areas that I shoot in when camped there BUT they are out of the way and not typically 'popular', or often used areas for shooting. I would NEVER camp in an area that is a well known and often used. This would roughly equate to me pulling my motorhome into the middle of the Sunriver Gravel Pit - which is a popular area. Yep not too smart of the people who did this.

I mean, I don't mind it at all.
Never had a bad experience (yet).. Its just odd to see sometimes.

In fact I found a few good spots and we're going to try camping here soon.

Im new to oregon and in hillsboro, at browns camp can you just find a place to pull over and the hike to a place to shoot or do you have to go to certain areas?

You can pretty much shoot where ever you want in the Tillamook Forest as long as standard rules for shooting on public lands is followed. http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamookstateforest/pages/targetshooting.aspx The Browns Camp Pit is subject to occasional closures for gravel mining. The web site will let you know if that is the case.

PLEASE follow ^these^ rules.......Be sure of your back stop, clean up your casings, especially shotgun hulls and any other "Crap" you may take with you to shoot at. Picking up a bag or three of other peoples crap to haul out is always a good thing too.

Because of so much abuse to the landscape over the years, seems to have got worse over the last few years too, in our out door public forest land shooting spots I feel that many, if not all, are close to being shut down at any time.

Mike

You can pretty much shoot where ever you want in the Tillamook Forest as long as standard rules for shooting on public lands is followed. http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamookstateforest/pages/targetshooting.aspx The Browns Camp Pit is subject to occasional closures for gravel mining. The web site will let you know if that is the case.

PLEASE follow ^these^ rules.......Be sure of your back stop, clean up your casings, especially shotgun hulls and any other "Crap" you may take with you to shoot at. Picking up a bag or three of other peoples crap to haul out is always a good thing too.

Because of so much abuse to the landscape over the years, seems to have got worse over the last few years too, in our out door public forest land shooting spots I feel that many, if not all, are close to being shut down at any time.

Mike
I know, I always bring trash bags with me when I go shooting and some times i lay down a tarp to catch shells.

I would suspect stupidity more than malice.

I would never camp anywhere near a known shooting spot. Somebody might come out at night and shoot, not knowing you are there, then there are the anal orifices who dump refuse in those spots.

In short, not a good place to camp and possibly dangerous.

That is not to say I don't shoot where I camp.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top