Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Who are you insured with?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joe Link, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've been with State Farm for a long time, and been generally happy with them, but it seems their rates have increased substantially over the past few years (despite no claims/tickets). I'm thinking I can probably find better value, service, and coverage elsewhere for auto/home/gun/life/etc. I've also heard it might be smart to go through an independent broker. I'd like to stay under one roof, if possible.

Who do you have? Are you happy with them?

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

State Farm.

Never had an issue with a claim.

Others I've know have had issue with claims or had rates skyrocket after making a claim.

I'd rather pay a little more fore a premium service.

3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Well, I have auto policy's with Liberty Mutual and Travelers. Personal vehicles with Liberty and commercial with Travelers.

I dont think there is such a thing as "good" insurance. They are all government sanctioned crooks as far as I am concerned.
    Between auto and business insurance I spend about $600 a month. That gives me 2 million worth of umbrella liability, a million product liability and covers my 5 cars and trucks, a motorcycle 5 trailers and a RV plus $475,000 worth of personal property insurance on the shop.

In over a decade I have never had a claim, insured much the same stuff and my insurance has gone from about $2000 year to close to $7000 in that time.

3MTA3, Caveman Jim, jluck and 3 others like this.
  4. nwg19

nwg19 Auburn WA. Member

We've been with state farm for a long time. I agree their rates are not great, but when I got a quote from pemco(they're affiliated with my credit union)the rates were not substantially lower so I stayed with state farm.
    I have to agree that when you do have a claim they are very easy to deal with and always easy to contact.

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Geico...

Loyalty means crap to me.

My father in law has been paying 2x what we pay for the same vehicle count, and we drive newer vehicles than them and he is with State Farm. Every time my current policy is up for renewal I call around. 2x pricing everywhere else.

I'll go with whoever gives me the best rate for the coverage I want. (3x + of Oregon minumum). No cut rate plans, low deductible, high coverages.

Any big name company will have reasonable service. I have yet had a problem with any claims. Then again I've only had two. One not at fault, another hit and run that totaled the vehicle, check was cut two days later.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

I was with state farm and first claim after 30 years of being with them they screwed me. I am with Safco now and paying near half for the same insurance. If you want to talk to an agent it cost nothing so let me know if you want his number.

7. Gun Mechanic

Gun Mechanic Portland Active Member

I also have State Farm. One claim cost me a 25% increase for the next three years. I've got other quotes but they seem to be around the same price as my current jacked up bubblegum Farm rate.

8. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I was with state farm since I was 15. Their rates when up when I was in my 30's quite substantially and I called to cancel and my agent who never saw one claim from be yelled at me and called me stupid for changing. So no more state farm EVAR

I have American Family for home and auto. American Modern for the Ariel Atom (awesome collector policy where if I wreck it I get my purchase price back and only $500 deductible for $550 a year)

Mr.B and Dyjital like this.
  9. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

I have USAA, no complaints.

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Seriously, give Donna @ Isaac's Insurance a call. 503-279-4559 and tell her Tony w/ the Australian wife sent you, LOL.

They're in Tigard and are an independent broker and ALWAYS work to get you the best price for the best policy. I've been doing business with them since '90-'91, and also used them for contractor liability insurance and surety bonds in '95 when I started my first (of two) HVAC contracting companies.

Through Isaac's I've had a home & auto policy with Oregon Mutual for over two decades. I have FULL coverage on a '00 Mercedes C280, an '04 Suburban, and an '07 Mercedes E350 sedan, with $500 deductible. None of those cars are cheap to insure from the get-go, and I just paid $887 for a 6 month renewal, which is pretty steady from the last 6 month term (maybe $23 increase).

I've had a Toyota Landcruser stolen (14 years ago), and they just fixed a dent in the Suburban, the rates have always remained steady.

Isaac's also got me a policy for my '06 Harley, first it was with Progressive, then after three years they found better coverage for less money with Dairyland Insurance, full roadside assistance service etc.

Give it a shot, you may do pretty well. ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  11. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I met a guy who had a lot of classic hot rods and he had an insurance policy that covered his liability for whatever car he was driving at the time.
    He stated that he could only drive one car at the time, so why be paying liability insurance on parked cars.

Redcap likes this.
  12. TOVO

TOVO SW WA. Active Member

Very timely tread for me.

We currently have Travelers and with a recent non insured driver claim I am looking to switch.

So far quoted with State Farm, Farmers, All State with no big savings.

13. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When you buy insurance, you are dealing with two separate entities.
    The first one is the agent who is all smiles and promises, kinda like a used car salesman.
    The second one is the adjuster and good luck with them, because their job is to weasel out of paying you what the first guy promised.

forefathersrback and IronMonster like this.
  14. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've been with State Farm since I started driving and I'm looking at 60. I pay $130.00 +/- each on two low use pick-ups every six months. The one is 30 YO and I put a full coverage on it because I had a high perf motor put in it, the other one's 45 years old. The CR-v costs about $300.00 every six months, and the boat $149.00/year. Home is the one that's gone up in the last 12 years.

I don't even look anymore 'cause years ago when I did anyone else wanted 2X or more, for three years or something. My rates are low, I believe, because State farm has so much of my money. The way I see it is NO other company is going to give someone who just started paying them good rates. I feel I've earned my low rates all these years. No tickets for 30 years and only three or four glass claims in all this time.

Butt-hey, if you find someone who will save a new customer bux over a company that's had them for years, I want to hear about it.

Mike

15. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

Safeco here for years.

ONE of the reasons is they do not "CAP" the value of guns insured.

In other words, many insurance companies will only pay "up to" $5000, or whatever their limit is on firearms.

Their rates are in line, and they are a good company..................BUT

I was just reading yesterday that Progressive is the highest rated ins. co in Oregon.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  16. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I've been with Nationwide for a while.

Was with State Farm, their rates kept going up.

17. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

Are they on your side?:)

18. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I re-evaluate every 6 months as the policies come due.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I went through a friend who is an insurnace broker and saved me a crap load of money with better insurance coverage.
    I can give you his name and number if you want.
    I had USAA which was always the cheapest but best insurance, but the one time I had an accident and had to go through them (hit by uninsured motorist) they gave me a 2 year run around until I got a lawyer and threatened to sue.

20. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

State Farm for 30+ years, zero issues. "If it ain't broke don't fix it":s0159: