JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I doubt the BGC has actually "Caught" many people, more like Andy points out, created criminals who otherwise wouldn't be! Having seen the back side of firearms sales and having had the OSP tell me to get the person to wait till they got there, kinda strange, especially when I saw them having a chat with said person but not arresting them and hauling them off! I also got to see company sales persons deny a sale, many were legit concerns, others were not! And then there are the straw purchases, how many does the BGC actually catch? and why would people knowingly attempt such a thing, knowing that if they get caught what might happen? Had a couple guys come in the store once, two brothers, both looked at a number of rifles, but one showed more interest then the other, when the other brother said i'll take it and starts filling out the 4473,, the sales man stopped it and told them to leave! I pointed out that there could be any number of things he didn't know between two guys who are obviously brothers, and that unless he had actual cause to deny a sale, that wasn't cool! I buy and trade between my Brothers all the time, including the one in Komifornication, none of us are barred from owning anything, and some times it is just a matter of logistics for me to go and pick something up and then send it on, or one of them does the same for me! We also trade back and forth with a cousin out of state, never had issue, and never had to ship through FFl's as were all blood relations and none are barred from owning! IS that Illegal, NO, Not by the standards "THEY" set, BUT, if we were forced to fill out a 4473 each and every time, it would get stupid expensive real quick the numbers we turn around between the 5 of us! The law says we can gift between blood, it doesn't say we cant purchase with the intent to gift, and as the actual buyer, were not breaking that law!

The Ladies of the Evening (UC officers) simply put themselves on the street. The John approaches them and usually initiates the conversation. The Ladies ask what he wants and he responds. He gives her $$ and the arrest is made. That's not entrapment...just "trolling."

It used to be I bought used guns from private sellers specifically so the guns wouldn't/couldn't be traced to me should registration/confiscation happen.

Who here really wants a gun they buy to be traceable to them when the gov comes looking for guns?

I was even willing to pay a little more than MSRP for that benefit too - if I had to.

There was nothing evil about that, but now it isn't legal in west coast states anymore, and it isn't worth it to me to take the risk of getting caught up in a sting, so yeah, I comply with the law and do the transfer at an FFL.

I don't have a problem with the sentiment, but asking someone else to break the law and then get mad if they won't? Not cool. We are not at that point where it flips over to being cool either. Don't like that? Move to a "free state" where private transfers without an FFL/BGC are allowed.

It used to be I bought used guns from private sellers specifically so the guns wouldn't/couldn't be traced to me should registration/confiscation happen.

Who here really wants a gun they buy to be traceable to them when the gov comes looking for guns?

I was even willing to pay a little more than MSRP for that benefit too - if I had to.

There was nothing evil about that, but now it isn't legal in west coast states anymore, and it isn't worth it to me to take the risk of getting caught up in a sting, so yeah, I comply with the law and do the transfer at an FFL.

I don't have a problem with the sentiment, but asking someone else to break the law and then get mad if they won't? Not cool. We are not at that point where it flips over to being cool either. Don't like that? Move to a "free state" where private transfers without an FFL/BGC are allowed.
That's the plan, although not necessarily for that reason alone.

There are also the journalist looking for horrible gun criminals to write about but they won't go into the hood.or shady bar. ect . Like the ones that walk into a gun shop or wallmart thinking they can buy a dreaded AR15 ammo and high caps like going to mcDonalds , then get turned away

Last Edited:
How about this ?
Inform LE about this and tell them you want them to accompany you to the 'meetup' (undercover) because you are being 'baited' into committing an illegal act.
Your intent being to either scare the living Sheeit out of whoever contacted you or to 'uncover' them.

Law enforcement cannot initiate an act that is intended to entrap...legally.
Like they did with that m00slum kid who wanted to blow up Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Christmas celebration a few years back? Bait the kid, encourage his action, provide him with inert explosives, and enable his ability to go through with the act, then arrest him with fanfare proclaiming their Fibby prowess as terrorist hunters...catching the rouge just in the nick of time!

Unless it was an out of state buyer, I really doubt it would be a Fed. Also reporting it to the ATF is non-starter, as there is no federal law against two eligible private, unlicensed parties selling/buying a firearm, if it's intrastate. Can't speak for Washington, but Oregon, not the Fed, is the one requiring a BGC between intrastate buyer and seller. It's a misdemeanor for the first offense.

Can't speak for Washington,
As of 2014, Washington requires a BGC for all firearms transfers except those between immediate family members. Thanks, I-594 and the idiots that voted for it... :rolleyes:

I had a guy on Armslist try to get me to sell without BGC, and he got super mad when I declined to do so. He started reporting my ad as a scam multiple times a day, until my account got blacklisted. He sent me an email saying I should have done what he asked, "now look what happened".:mad:

LOL. Oooooo. You have to make a new account now? That dude was such a moron.

At any rate, I refused and they weren't happy about it. When I asked them why they wanted to circumvent the law, both responded that they thought that it was all gov't BS. While I agree, in part, if I sell a gun that is not registered correctly and the buyer shoots someone with it, robs a Minit Mart or whatever, it's me that's going to jail!

Their willingness to offer a premium in order to buy a gun off paper completely blows their motive of being against "gov't BS." They know they are doing wrong.

A gun on paper stays on paper. If it gets away from you off paper under current law, there are potential circumstances. Not just criminal, but also civil. If it turns out later that someone gets shot with a gun that wasn't properly transfered, the seller could get sued by the injured party or their estate. Don't be impatient to sell a gun off paper just to get rid of it or to obtain a premium for doing so. Those could turn out to be expensive dollars later.

Or some people might think it's okay to sell to a friend. But what about after that, when the friend sells to a friend? The seller loses control the minute he lets it go, no matter to whom.

Nor would I ever sell a gun that I'd bought years ago that was off paper. Or dummy up a date about when a sale occurred. In a big court case, there could be testimony that ties the gun to the seller.

It goes without saying that the probability of scud agents trying to trick sellers into illegal sales exists.

Sell without following procedure for a mark up, then report as stolen and get insurance to pay for it.
If it ever comes up, you're covered.
:s0055:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class