JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
rzr-xp-1000-eps-ride-command-edition-black-pearl.jpg

I have been looking at buying one of these for years. At first my justification for not doing so was the fact I was driving a 14 year old truck and spending $15-$20K on a toy without having upgraded my wheels seemed silly. About 6 months ago I bought a new truck and have been more serious about it since.

I have been looking at used ones for all of those couple of years thinking if I found a deal on one I would jump on it. Even though I have looked extensively there just does not seem to be deals. They seem to not depreciate much. I can buy a new 1000 XP RZR for $16-$17K and folks seem to ask $15-$18K for the same machine a couple years old with 500-5000 miles on it.

Anyway if you have one do you use it as much as you thought you would? How expensive has it been to own? Are you happy with the model you bought and what is it? What accessories do you have and why?

My hope is mostly to tool around in the desert, go on rides with friends that have similar machines and maybe use the thing a bit just as a get around rig in the summer (make it street legal)

Its just a big step. Would be one of the most expensive toys I have ever purchased. Kind of like some feedback from others who have already taken the plunge.

I don't own one, but a friend in Nevada does. He uses it for the Nevada deserts, sand mountain, and comes up to the coast dunes once a year with it. It is a turbo model 4 seater and it is insanely fun to drive. He is a gear head so I think it was his way of justifying getting a grown up car and selling his boosted STI. I think his wife made him get a better parent car, and he bought this in spite! Anyways it handled amazingly when I got to drive it. Throttle response was like that of before cars went to electric throttle bodies, if that makes sense. Boost came quick and made it go quick. I never ask him how much he spends on things, but I'm guessing it was not cheap. He did motorcycles and quads before this so I imagine he already had all the helmets and gear for his family but that is another thing to think about. I bought a helmet and goggles just for when he is up here and they can be pricey. They are a lot of fun in the shortest of words.

I don't own one, but I have family and friends who do, and have driven them in the dunes and at the farms. Both desert racers and utility types. I would rather have a custom jeep like a rebuild flat fender or even a Cj5. The amount of money these SxS costs is just crazy. For the money I would put it towards something that is road legal. Maybe a Samurai, or an old Toyota truck if a Jeep is not your thing.

Swap in an engine of your choice, upgrade suspension, and you will have a vehicle that is way more versatile than a SxS and potentially a lot less money. They are fun, without a doubt, but more fun than a built Jeep? Not for me.

I have a two seater Kawasaki Mule that I got 14 years ago. The dump bed and four wheel drive work great for me. Lots of use on the property and I have taken into town and even the beach. Loads of fun.

I've got opinions on this. My dad retired after being a workaholic. At 78. He wanted a side by side. Bought a. 2017 can am defender. All inclosed loaded. $27k
Had a snowmobile trailer made for it. $15k.
I say I'd take my 1975 fj40 back over this thing. He parks it in my shop. It's nice! Great for hunting. But got more advice. But one used with a damaged title. Call IMS in Nampa. Ask for jason. Trust me. Much cheaper!

Had a Rhino a XP900 and now a XP turbo. Tons of fun and lots of power compared to the old Rhino and 900. More power then you need for the dirt but great for the sand. Use it less then I did Rhino when you could still camp and party on the dunes here. Not a ton of upgrades some aftermarket lightbar, bully dog power programmer, roof and a com setup. Better seats and harness will be next if I get around to it. As far as problems it' had a couple. It did overheat a bit and also tossed the belt once and cook the belt once. Not really crazy bad stuff but they did replace the radiator. As far as other brands only other one I would look at would be the Yamaha. Can-am no way as very few places to even get a service taken care of. As far as a built Jeep or Sami been there and the side by side is way more fun more reliable and about the same price depending what you call a "built jeep"

(make it street legal)

I just read a bunch about these being street legal. It sounds like certain states allow this, I have a feeling your in one that does and I'm not. However, making this type of vehicle street legal opens the door for so much more fun. At that point it makes it more of a hot rod / off road / sand rail machine.

A friend of mine had one [Polaris RZR] and I had the plenty enough time in the seat to know this machine is capable of just about anything a guy wants to do except towing a rig of twice again it's size in the Coos Bay sand dunes without at least spending for a new drive belt. They are built like a tank!

My BIL has a crew cab ranger with the cab, tracks, ww wipers, heat, a.c., and stereo. $35k. He barely uses it, says he wishes he never bought it.

If you really will get your moneys worth, go for it. If not, expensive lesson.

My brother's boss has one and says it's been trouble free but I'd be surprised if he's got 20hrs on it yet. He's not gentle with his toys.
They're insanely popular with the construction crowd here. I didn't even realize they could be made street legal because I've never seen one in the street. The only real advantage I could see over a well sorted Jeep/4Runner/etc is that they are allowed on trails that specifically prohibit 4x4s on my side of the river. Beard-bro loophole?
A couple of the old guys I ride in the hills with have Rhinos that do pretty well. TW does better though.

My buddy had one. It was great but his particular model did not have a rear differential. This wasn't a big issue on the dirt but he would drive it on pavement some and it was absolutely brutal on tires. I don't know if this was model specific or it changed a certain year. But it's definitely something to consider if you're looking at used ones and you have any plans for pavement.

They are a lot of fun, but I did the math (does $=time/opportunity/land accessibility) and it doesn't work out right now. Kind of like a snowmobile did. Like anything else, demand controls the price. If the math works out for you, I would buy new and know what you bought (unless buying used from a very trustworthy seller). Many organizations are buying land to "preserve" it, and continue to lobby to close down access for off-road vehicles. Kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it.

They are a lot of fun, but I did the math (does $=time/opportunity/land accessibility) and it doesn't work out right now. Kind of like a snowmobile did. Like anything else, demand controls the price. If the math works out for you, I would buy new and know what you bought (unless buying used from a very trustworthy seller). Many organizations are buying land to "preserve" it, and continue to lobby to close down access for off-road vehicles. Kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it.
Yep it comes down to money and opportunity to use it like a ski boat in Washington you get to use it 2 months out of the year I have friends that have a rzr they do the snow bird thing go to Arizona every winter so they use it there but the rest of the time it's in the garage maybe a few times they go to Oregon coast

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top