JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is Gun Violence the Cost of Freedom?

The answer is yes. It's not the only cost, but it is a cost.

Freedom is not safe. Freedom is dangerous. In any free society, the cost of freedom is that some people will misuse that freedom -- be it the freedom to keep and bear arms, free speech, freedom of religion, and so on.

If we disallowed freedom of religion, could we prevent cultists from committing mass suicide? Maybe some.

If we disallowed free speech, could we prevent libel, slander and other dangerous speech? Maybe some.

If we illegalized meeting up in groups of two or more without a permit, could we prevent criminal conspiracy? Maybe some.

But the cost is great.

Could we prevent some gun violence by completely banning firearms? Yes. Would we still have a democracy? In name only.

You can sure bet the Arizona thing has given the great orator a plank from which to spew his anti-gun platform pretty soon. Him and the people he appoints are just waiting to launch into more control of firearms in the name of safety. Spad

This is really just about them and running scared from the peasants. Not until one of their own has been harmed do they revisit this arena.

Study Of The Federal "Assault Weapon" Law

The congressionally-mandated study of the federal "assault weapon" law found that: "At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." (Urban Institute, "Impact Evaluation of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994," March 13, 1997, p. 3.)

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Study Of The Federal "Assault Weapon" Law

The congressionally-mandated study of the federal "assault weapon" law found that: "At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." (Urban Institute, "Impact Evaluation of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994," March 13, 1997, p. 3.)

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I hate to break this to ya' - you're using logic - which has nothing to do with the subject as far as the gun grabbers are concerned. It's all about how it makes you feel...

I find it interesting that politicians in general insist that gun control will prevent these types of atrocities!?

Mass murders happened long before firearms ever came on the scene. It was just a different tool, at a different time. The only thing that has changed since then, was the tool?! Murders happen every day with knives, cars, drugs, poisons, and explosives and yet, the only one that ever seems to make the news is when a gun is involved.

I know I preaching to the choir, however, I think it was posted on this site some time ago, the statistics of how many deaths happened in this country due to car accidents or hospital visits (deaths caused by incompetence) vs. those that happened with a gun, and it was actually eye opening to see that guns are not the main tools used to cause deaths in this country. If that was the case, every single automobile would have been taken off the road years ago. But that's not going to happen. Guns are the tool that governments fear, not pitchforks, or knives, or swords. The government tilts the playing field, and you remove one of the single most important tools the average citizen has to defend itself with and there is no longer a country run by the people.

When I make a list of things that are important to me, I usually start with the most important. I feel our founding fathers did to. Our Bill of Rights is a very important list of things that were CLEARLY important to our founding fathers, and the firm document on which this country stands...

#1 - prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

#2 - protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms (just in case the government doesn't follow the first)

I think it's very important to remember, that there will always be someone out there that is mentally unstable, and willing to go to extreme measures to get their 15 minutes of fame, but it's the people that commit those acts that need to be dealt with.

I once heard a comic say that they were going to sue their fork because it made them fat. (Since it was the "tool" of choice) As funny as that sounds, it's just a tool. Just like any other tool. A fork doesn't MAKE someone fat, and a gun can't shoot someone by itself. That's ridiculous. People in this country have gotten so accustomed to blaming someone else, or something else for their own problems or choices, that asking someone to be accountable to their own actions is just too much?!?!?! The guy in AZ who did the shooting just plead NOT GUILTY?! NOT GUILTY?>?? Are you serious? Accountability.... RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW....

Bottom line.. A gun grabber will always be a gun grabber. Anything that can be used to make guns "evil" can and will be used to further their agenda. Even if that means reporting half truths or even flat lies. Washington DC and Chicago both have some of the toughest gun laws.... how's that working for them??? Gun laws don't keep the guns out of the hands of criminals... period.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top