JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We are not talking about denying his rights - We are talking about holding him accountable for his actions.

You really don't understand that do you - You think that anyone can say whatever they want without consequence. You're very wrong

I didn't say right to freedom of speech is unlimited. Which, interestingly, is the same as Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Here are some limitations :

Clear and Present Danger
Will this act of speech create a dangerous situation? The First Amendment does not protect statements that are uttered to provoke violence or incite illegal action.

Justice Holmes, speaking for the unanimous Supreme Court, stated, "The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent."

Fighting Words
Was something said face-to-face that would incite immediate violence?

In Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, the Supreme Court stated that the "English language has a number of words and expressions which by general consent [are] ‘fighting words' when said without a disarming smile. ... Such words, as ordinary men know, are likely to cause a fight." The court determined that the New Hampshire statute in question "did no more than prohibit the face-to-face words plainly likely to cause a breach of the peace by the addressee, words whose speaking constitute a breach of the peace by the speaker — including ‘classical fighting words,' words in current use less ‘classical' but equally likely to cause violence, and other disorderly words, including profanity, obscenity and threats." Jurisdictions may write statutes to punish verbal acts if the statutes are "carefully drawn so as not unduly to impair liberty of expression."

Also see What is the Fighting Words Doctrine?

Libel and Slander
Was the statement false, or put in a context that makes true statements misleading? You do not have a constitutional right to tell lies that damage or defame the reputation of a person or organization.

Obscenity
In June 1973 in Miller v. California, the Supreme Court held in a 5-to-4 decision that obscene materials do not enjoy First Amendment protection.

In Miller v. California (1973), the court refined the definition of "obscenity" established in Roth v. United States (1957). It also rejected the "utterly without redeeming social value" test of Memoirs v. Massachusetts.

In the three-part Miller test, three questions must receive affirmative responses for material to be considered "obscene":

Would the average person, applying the contemporary community standards, viewing the work as a whole, find the work appeals to the prurient interest?
Does the work depict or describe sexual conduct in a patently offensive way?
Does the work taken as a whole lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value?

One must distinguish "obscene" material, speech not protected by the First Amendment, from "indecent" material, speech protected for adults but not for children. The Supreme Court also ruled that "higher standards" may be established to protect minors from exposure to indecent material over the airwaves. In FCC v. Pacifica Foundation the court "recognized an interest in protecting minors from exposure to vulgar and offensive spoken language."

Conflict with Other Legitimate Social or Governmental Interests
Does the speech conflict with other compelling interests? For example, in times of war, there may be reasons to restrict First Amendment rights because of conflicts with national security.

To ensure a fair trial without disclosure of prejudicial information before or during a trial, a judge may place a "gag" order on participants in the trial, including attorneys. Placing prior restraint upon the media usually is unconstitutional. In Nebraska Press Association v. Stuart (1976), the Supreme Court established three criteria that must be met before a judge can issue a gag order and restrain the media during a trial.

Time, Place, and Manner
These regulations of expression are content-neutral. A question to ask: Did the expression occur at a time or place, or did the speaker use a method of communicating, that interferes with a legitimate government interest? For example, distribution of information should not impede the flow of traffic or create excessive noise levels at certain times and in certain places.

<broken link removed>

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's advisable or the right thing to do. I have the right to do a lot of things but that doesn't mean it's smart or safe to do them. What is it we teach our children? There are consequences for your actions, it's best to think before you act.

See, that's the problem. I'm not supporting the guy, instead I'm opposing what others here are suggesting.

What others are saying (over 50,000 at this point) is that Piers Morgan is attacking our constitution and should be deported. You are defending his 1st amendment rights and atleast 50,000 people are saying the 1st amendement does not apply here.

You are defending someone attacking our 2nd amendment rights on a gun board.

You will likely find that difficult but I detect that won't deter you. I have a feeling you won't back down from your opinion no mater how many holes are poked in it.

Honestly it would be like going into a trailer park and yelling "Walmart sucks!" or going onto a Christian board and defending athieism. Try something a little easier perhaps

i am of the Christian belief but I will defend a practicing Muslim here in the US to their belief if they're not out to destroy mine.

Piers Morgan is a major jackwagon.
That being said, be is merely voicing his asinine position on a topic he is clearly ignorant about
He has no power to take away our rights. If he was to start some anti 2A group or begin funding one or to go to DC and begin lobbying for it then I would see the need for the petition.
I am very open TJ being shown where I am wrong on this but that's my perspective now.
Shipping him out would make us as bad as they are.

What others are saying (over 50,000 at this point) is that Piers Morgan is attacking our constitution and should be deported. You are defending his 1st amendment rights and atleast 50,000 people are saying the 1st amendement does not apply here.

How many of the 50 thousand are federal judges, attorneys or other officials to say that it doesn't apply ? What gives them a special edge to see what I'm not seeing, besides an emotional response that I don't have ?

You are defending someone attacking our 2nd amendment rights on a gun board.

I am not going to trade one right for another. You either respect them all, or none at all.

You will likely find that difficult but I detect that won't deter you. I have a feeling you won't back down from your opinion no mater how many holes are poked in it.

You are right, because I don't even see a solid argument in your posts. Just a mishmash of misconceptions.

I am not going to trade one right for another. You either respect them all, or none at all.

You are right, because I don't even see a solid argument in your posts. Just a mishmash of misconceptions.

I have to agree .... lots of mishmash. Ironic that there are a lot of folks voicing those opinions who are usually quick to argue "Constitution this and Constitution that" but then want to selectively apply it when somebody voices a differing perspective.

Does anybody really think a petition like this does any good?

Nope. All I think it's doing is creating bad press for pro gun folks. This, in addition to the ludicrous attacks the NRA made on the video games and movies earlier on, doesn't bode well on an united front. It gives the impression that people are willing to trade the 1st amendment for the 2nd.

Does anybody really think a petition like this does any good?

Probably not,

It's laregely symbolic, the 25k votes give the petition reason to be addressed by the White House. It does not mean that the White House has to address the petition - they can ignore it just like they are ignoring the petition for Texas to secede from the union. That petetion has over 120k votes.

What it does more than anything else is give people a venue to voice their anger over Piers' actions.

How many of the 50 thousand are federal judges, attorneys or other officials to say that it doesn't apply ? What gives them a special edge to see what I'm not seeing, besides an emotional response that I don't have ?

You can't hide behind one amendment to attack another

You made my point here - you are defending his attack on the 2nd amendment through use of the 1st. That doesn't apply here because what he is doing is not protected under the 1st. Attacking the consitution by a foreign national is not protected under our constitution.

You don't see a solid argument because you misguidedly think that subversion is legally protected by the 1st amendment.

There are two issues here and I will try to make this simple for you.

1st - there is the issue that what he is doing is NOT protected under the 1st amendment (legal issue)
2nd - there is the issue that even if it was protected, his comments do not protect him from public opinion (non-legal issue)

So you can't really defend him either way. If we lose our 2nd amendment rights, how long do you think it will be before we lose our 1st?

We are not talking about denying his rights - We are talking about holding him accountable for his actions.

You really don't understand that do you - You think that anyone can say whatever they want without consequence. You’re very wrong

Saying ANYTHING? No, you're right you can't say anything and not be accountable for it. Especially if you're on TV or radio. You are accountable to the public, your sponsors and the FCC.

But I'm pretty certain sayng "I think all guns should be taken away from the public." is not enough to get you removed from the country. It's an opinion, and a pretty popular one right now. Just because you disagree with it strongly doesn't mean he should be kicked out of the country.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top