JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This black leather holster keeps getting some white film on it, it wipes off easily but is annoying. I'm not new to leather, but my other leather items don't have this problem. 1st noticed after it sat in the safe for a while. No other issues in the safe- Goldenrod is warm, no other issues at all. Not sure if the before and after wiping down pics show it well.
Maybe obvious to someone else, I just have not run across this before. Any ideas?

20210228_152045.jpg 20210228_151948.jpg

Looks like mildew. I'd not store it in the safe. Might be too warm in there. Keep it in a closet or a drawer instead. Try treating it with neatsfoot oil. That might help prevent fungal growth.

Looks like mildew. I'd not store it in the safe. Might be too warm in there. Keep it in a closet or a drawer instead. Try treating it with neatsfoot oil. That might help prevent fungal growth.

Seconding the nomination of mildew for culprit.

Thanks for the replies. I thought mildew as well, but doesn't seem like it. I have never treated it with anything. I pulled it out of the safe like a week ago, and what you see in the before pic is from just sitting in my garage. I have no mold or mildew problems at all in my garage.

That is what mildew tends to look like on black leather. Mold on leather can form as a result of the natural humidity in the air and/or due to increased temp and lack of air circulation...your Goldenrod may be contributing to this.

You can google remedies to address the mold (if that's what it is) which include an alcohol/water mix or perhaps vinegar and sunlight...but I have no idea what that will do to the leather...likely dry it out some.

Once you've dealt with the mold, you may want to take the holster out of the safe and store it in a location that has more air flow. Or you could try storing it in an airtight plastic bag.

Tea tree oil is a good antifungal, if it's mildew. And harmless to the leather, if it's not mildew. Mixes well with neatsfoot oil, too.

The spores are everywhere.
Understood, just mentioning that it isn't noticed anywhere else, except this holster. First, inside my safe, for a long period of time, then out of the safe for the last week or so. Seems odd. Appreciate all the feedback. I may try some of that conditioner stuff, and plastic bag in the meantime to see what happens.

Back in the days when I wore black army boots, the white stain was common anytime the boots got damp and the polish was thin. The white disappeared immediately under black shinola, until the next time. Same with any black leather clothing on my motorcycle, now.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top