JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a sonic cleaner but it does not get off cosmoline. I soaked the SKS in mineral spirits in the garage for about a week to get it clean. That still only turned the cosmoline into chocolate pudding. But it was easier to clean off.

The wood stock is pretty much trashed though. It has knots in the wood that have rotted out and is soaked through with the cosmoline. No amount of sanding will fix that.

ah, but I have secrets... I have a SKS wood stock Im making which will have inlay, plus I have that Beretta pm12s kit and a cetme kit so Im going to have to figure out how to weld here pretty soom.

With 941 I'm pretty much done buying firearms, I will just make them now.

On metal parts, I've had great results easily removing heavy cosmoline using just plain boiling water poured over the parts and through the bore. If I want to soak parts, I'll add some Simple Green to the boiling water bath. Works like a charm, then just dry them thoroughly and finish with some gun oil or CLP. As for the wood, I've used the method of wrapping the stock in paper towels, putting it in a black plastic trash bag and setting it in the hot sun. Every couple of hours, replace the paper towels and give it a good wipe down, then wrap and repeat until the heavy flow of cosmo is done. I've done several this way and I am pleased to report it works well.

I like the new stock. My SKS didn't come with a wood stock when I got it 20 years ago, so I eventually through on an ATI tactical folding stock. It's really nice to shoot. Looks similar to yours, but with a different butt stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top