JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking into building up a custom pistol for ... well, for grins and giggles really.

The aftermarket parts market for Glock seems to be absolutely packed - the possibilities seems damn near endless.

But, I've seen a few options here and there for CZ as well...

If you were in my shoes and wanting to build something just to build, maybe learn a thing or two about gunsmithing on the way...which platform would you go with and why? If going with Glock, which gen and why?

@bolus didva bunch of 80 builds of various makes back when. He might be able to shed some light on building or assembling various pistols.

I got to shoot a Sig he assembled off an 80 receiver. It was really nice.

If I were to ever go down this route, it probably be a Glock.

Cheaper to buy a new Glock really.

@bolus didva bunch of 80 builds of various makes back when. He might be able to shed some light on building or assembling various pistols.

I got to shoot a Sig he assembled off an 80 receiver. It was really nice.

If I were to ever go down this route, it probably be a Glock.

Cheaper to buy a new Glock really.
I realize it is cheaper to go new but, let me shed some light on my mindset. I save up and I buy once, quality...for example, my kitchen knife set. But, after getting into wood working...I started repurchasing the blades from local smiths and making my own handles or scales...My set is being replaced with unique, one of a kind items that I got to have a hand in making. (Hell, if I ever take up blacksmithing, I'll probably do this again for the full blade!)

I'm doing the same thing with guns. Have built up a 10/22. Building a .308. Building a dueling pistol. I'm adding to this list a non-1911 style gun as well. But, my experience with not 1911's is limited to just a handful of models, so I'm asking here.

Cheers,

My experience is for 80% or lower builds without serialized receivers.

The glock builds are by far the easiest. If you know your way around tools you could probably finish one in 15 minutes and other 15 minutes to watch the parts install on youtube and install the parts. The most recent gens are much better than the first gens.

Parts kits are readily available and less expensive if used. EveryGunPart usually has some but it looks like they dont have any compatible parts kits at this time. Make sure you check because they may still require 3 pin gen 3 glock parts and not newer gen.

Next easy is going to be an AR15 80% pistol. 80% AR15's are covered in other places

Next is a sig p22x style build. This is where you are going to start paying money for well build jigs and tools so the finished build will probably be much more than just buying a new firearm.

You'll have a little harder time finding kits though they pop up occasionally. There was a p220 kit on EveryGunPart recently and even though it was quite rusty it sold quickly.

Excellent tools.

Matrix also has a 0% 22/45 kit that is available. You can finish it with a drill and hand tools. Matrix is making their own parts kit and probably a few months away from being available

Finally the 1911. There are several jigs and tools to build a 1911 from parts. Plan on spending about $1000 in tools and $1000 in decent parts at a minimum. If you are building a 1911 you might as well do it with match parts so you can fit all the parts together by hand.

If I did another one I'd use Matrix's jigs and tools for the frame. I used a Stealth Arms jig for mine and though it is very good its a matter of spending days cutting a rail by hand or <1 hour with the matrix tools

List of a few tools:

1911 parts are as plentiful as sand on a beach.

I should also add the P320 80%. I havent made one of these after the sig p320 had drop issues. Not sure if the 80% receiver deals with that problem

Last Edited:
If you want to go 80% glock is the easiest.

If I was going to go 100% for quality, I would start with a custom oem frame like this.

And build on it.

Hmm are we talking a budget build, or is this a pretty open budget?

If cost is not that big of a concern - a double stack 1911 9mm based on a Caspian frame is where I'd start. Or if you like .45 ACP and you have the mitts for wielding a double stacked .45 - then their double stack .45 would be great. I really liked the Para Ordnance 14-45 single action I used to own, and would like to have another some day. A 9mm would be even more fun - 20 rounds of 9mm is pretty spiffy. 1911's are easy to work on, they're not as mystical or difficult as some would have you think. I stripped every 1911 I've owned down to the individual pieces and put them all back without hiccups. I've fit barrel bushings and guide rods, You don't need special tools - some files and a screw driver with different bits and you're in business. If you're staking in the bushings for the grips you need a bit more, but barely. 1911's are fun as hell to tinker on and to shoot - and as big a fan as I am of polymer striker guns for "serious bidness" like EDC or duty - for a fun gun, 1911's are great.

My next choice would be on the opposite end of the spectrum - a Polymer80 Glock build. Never done one yet, but would like to. Glock parts are everywhere.

A CZ would be cool - I've never detail stripped one, but I love CZs and would love a slicked up CZ85D Compact. The CZ is one of my all around favorite hammer fired designs along with the Browning Hi Power - but I've not messed around with stripping that gun to its guts either. It shouldn't be hard, considering the Hi Power was an evolution of the 1911.

If you want to go 80% glock is the easiest.

If I was going to go 100% for quality, I would start with a custom oem frame like this.

And build on it.
That is a sexy frame. Do you know how it stacks up against the Gen 4's (Looking at Rainier Arms's Nomad as well)

That is a sexy frame. Do you know how it stacks up against the Gen 4's (Looking at Rainier Arms's Nomad as well)

Lol! There is a big thread about that on here the last few days. "Buying a new glock, any reason to not buy new" lots of opinions both ways.

I think with a modified frame like this, its probably thinned out close to the gen 4/gen 5 profile, but that is just a guess.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top