Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which weapon platform for distance shooting?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 347mustang, Jun 6, 2013.

1. 347mustang

347mustang Oregon city Active Member

I am looking to get a new weapon system to shoot distance 100-1000 meters. I want to stay under a $1000 . I have looked at the savage and Remington lines . I have read a bit about barrel length but am still not sure what to get . I am also thinking of .308 since I am already set up to reload that caliber. I already have a great optic . Which gun will get the best accuracy and be the gun to get ? Thanks for all the help . Patrick

2. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Savage 10 FP-SR - threaded for the suppressor your going to want :thumbup:

If it were up to me I would go with a 7mm Rem Mag in a Ruger M77 Mark 2 but that's just my .02c

Here is a guy that talks ALOT about long distance shooting: http://www.youtube.com/user/TiborasaurusRex

bcdon, 347mustang, 3MTA3 and 3 others like this.
  3. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Remington M700 in .308, heavy R5 barrel, and stock of your choice. There's a reason the military has used that platform for so stinking long.:thumbup:

I've used one for years and it hits targets and big game equally well. Fantastic rifles.

4. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

I agree with the remington 700 but I say go .300 Win mag
    Or you can get those savages in 338 Lapua now for close to $1G

5. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Can't disagree with any of that! Strongly suggest you watch TiborasaurusRex Sniper 101 playlist. I've learned a lot and had several misconceptions dispelled. I'm no expert marksman by any means, but this guy tells it like it is. The forums at snipershide are pretty good, too, but usual forum misinformation is as abundant as useful info (read "experts" who only pass along what they have heard, not what they have done).

6. 347mustang

I have watched all Rex's aka tibor twice . He sure puts in a easy to learn format. He has giving the knowledge to try long distance shooting . Any others thoughts . I was thinking 7mm because of the great ballistics . How ever I have all this .30 cal reloading gear .

7. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

if the $1000 with optics?

I personally do not agree with any of the above comments.

The difference between the savage and remington in accuracy is alot less than investing in a reloading equipment and neck sizing your loads. Did the most to improve groups on my remington 700 than anything else I did to her.

Only time I think reloading is worthless is the AI AWP, that gun will shoot any match ammo under 1/4 MOA that I've tried.

8. 347mustang

I already have a optic it's a viper pst 6-24-50 FFP . I also have all the reloading supplies to reload . That will diffently be on the agenda . What would you suggest ?

9. 3MTA3

Wouldn't all you need for a different cartridge is a set of dias and possibly shell holder? I agree on the 7mm - better performance and less recoil. For me the choice is which 7mm: .280 Rem, .280 AI, or 7mm RM. It varies depending on the day of the week and the hour of the day.

Since you have the scope, you have a lot of latitude with the rifle. I'd consider the Remington 700 or Savage for the rifle as there is a lot of aftermarket support for both platforms. All modern rifles shoot well, and will probably meet your needs, but these two will give you a lot more options down the road if you decide to take it further like a chassis.

347mustang and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Lindy

Lindy Central Ca. Member

The 162 grain 7mm boatail bullet probably has the best ballistics efficiancie of any other caliber.
    That's what I would use. My 2

Good shooting

lindy

11. 347mustang

Yes 3MTA3 I could go that route . And I just might. I guess I could save all these bullets for my AR . Lindy you are on the money . The 6-7mm has so many quality bullets it's hard to deny . And other suggestions on model type. .

12. 3MTA3

Beyond the Savage and Remington suggestions for more options down the road, If I knew I wasn't going to want a chassis or the ability to support an AI style magazine down the road I'd look at the following:

Tikka - made on the same assembly line as Howa. Accuracy out of the box is very good, and has true detachable magazines. There are chassis available, but limited selection. Really, really, good reputation.

Browning A Bolt- buttery smooth, 60 degree bolt, very good accuracy out of the box. These have always felt great and shot great for me. X-Bolts are more inexpensive and also have true detachable magazines. I haven't tried one, but the articles I've read indicate half MOA accuracy.

Savage - gotta make another shout out for one of Savage's better features - you can swap barrels on your kitchen table. All you need is the new barrell, a headspace gauge, and a wrench (oh, and maybe a different bolt to match the cartridge).

Another thought is to get a used and abused Remington 700 on the cheap and spend the remainder on a new barrel, action truing, and trigger work.

Keep us posted on what you go with - I for one am interested and working along very similar thoughts.

13. geometro

geometro PDX Active Member

For AI magazine compatibility:

Tikka: KRG Whisky 3 Welcome to KRG
    Savage: CDI Precision DBM system

For the OP's budget, I'd have to say either Remington 5R, Savage 12 LRP, or Howa 1500.

However, the LRP is available only in a .243 win, .260 rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. If hte OP started out with a .308 Savage, it'd be easy to change to a .260 rem or 6.5 Creedmoor to try out.

14. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I glass beded a 300 win mag ruger 77 and got a sub 1'' gun. But not from the factory.

Just for accuracy I like tikka. My master sporter 308 is as accurate as my friends $5000 Blaser. And unlike other long guns it shoots a hole. Not a group or clover leaf. Used Tikka master sporters are out there for about $1000. I beded the aluminum action anchor to the stock. That's it for alterations. The flat action lays on the block and mechanicly engages the aluminum block with a simple lug in hole lockup. The barrel floats. Savage is another good starting point also. Back in the old 50's gun adds they were savage/Anschutzs.

Pics. are of a Sako TRG 22 and a Tikka Master sporter. And the pretty one is my master sporter I bought from a NFA member.

15. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Take a look at Steyr SBS pro hunter line too. Already comes with all the stuff most people add to a 700 platform. Out of the box accuracy is phenomenal, trigger is great and adjustable, LOP is somewhat adjustable, top tang safety. ....I could go on....I am going with 7mm Remington mag personally. I already have one in '06 and it has performed perfect for 13 years.

If you go with the 700 platform I'd look at the 7RUM or 300 RUM too. Did I mention I have one of those for sale???;)

Good luck.

16. 3MTA3

No workie in long action T3's:

...The W3C (Gen 3) cannot, unfortunately, be made to fit these rifles:
    Tikka T3 in long action calibers (there is currently no magazine which will work as the AICS magnum magazines will not work with the T3)...

Short actions are OK, but 347mustang needs a long action unless he wants to go with a short magnum. I prefer to start with the cartridge (based on mission) and work my way out.

Too bad, because I really like the Whisky 3

17. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

There are a lot of cheep accurate rifles out there. But most miss the mark in stock, trigger, features, build quality or some other area. Maybe that's why I like the Tikka's? Though there are others. Surely many I have no experience with. The Tikka's Wood stock. Adjustable trigger. Removable magazine. And rings that mount without a base plate in the mix. However you can add one if you like. With simple design. Good materials. Plus European gun build quality.
    Don't buy just on accuracy. Especially when price can be the same between guns with final set-up in mind.

18. Lindy

Lindy Central Ca. Member

Mustang
    Take a look at the "Cooper" line of rifles, I dont own one but have heard a lot of good things said about them.
    My personal choice is Remington and I have a few, one that I have shoots 1/4 inch groups at a 100. Bedded
    in a Choat Stock, Criger barrel, 2 oz trigger, 8-24 power Bausch and Lomb scope and weighs 22 pounds, 22-250.
    Good luck on Your choices.

Good shooting

Lindy

19. geometro

geometro PDX Active Member

FN SPR A1 is another good .308 rifle I forgot to mention that can be found in that price range.

Or go local with Northwest Actionworks with a basic donor Remington platform.

20. 347mustang

What is a AI magazine ? . I do not want to go to a 300 mag they are just to abusive for the volume I shoot. There awesome don't get me wrong . I am looking to all your suggestions. I went and looked at guns the other day and the tikka and howa are awesome platforms . What I didn't like was the super thin barrel. I haven't found any around town with a thicker barrel . I am sure they have them. With that said how critical is a bull barrel for accuracy . I have read they are better for multiple shots and harmonics. I currently have a rem 25-06 which is the wife's hunting rifle . I shoot a smith and Wesson 1500 which is supposed to built by howa . I do like the Remington . It is a older model .