JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the next few months in going to be buying a high end AK, not sure exactly what kinds yet. My question is, what type of stock do you like best, on an AK. I've had under folders, which I've liked, but I think I'd like a fixed stock better. Maybe an ACE side folder?

What do you like, and why?

Gotta love the AKS-74U style left hand side folders!
aks74u.jpg

aks74u.jpg

I like the older models, like the MAK-90 or NHM-90 or a Hungarian SA-85M, etc, with updated fixed stocks.

I do not like the underfolders, since they are pretty rough on my cheek and jaw.
A side folder would be a nice option, but i don't know if i would use it much.

I like the fixed NATO length stock on my Arsenal. I have had a few underfolders and every time, I wonder why I bought another underfolder? Unless you are reenacting a scene from "Navy Seals", I would suggest a fixed stock. I have never had a side folder so I reserve judgement on those.

I like the fixed NATO length stock on my Arsenal. I have had a few underfolders and every time, I wonder why I bought another underfolder? Unless you are reenacting a scene from "Navy Seals", I would suggest a fixed stock. I have never had a side folder so I reserve judgement on those.

I too do not favor the underfolders, although I have one. It's a reliable Norinco so I keep it

Had the opportunity to fire some AK47's with traditional butt stocks last week. 3 actually, all wood stocks.

In comparison, my underfolder seems to offer just a tiny bit more room to get my right eye lined up behind the sights when I shoulder it quickly – not such a tight fit to the cheek. Mine also has a nice black para-cord wrap on the left rail of the underfolder, offering a tiny bit of padding (I guess, since it's the only underfolder AK I've ever shot). Cheek banging from recoil is simply not an issue on this rifle.

The link below goes to a pic of both kinds. The downward angle on my folder is not as pronounced as the one shown here, but it still allows just little bit of extra clearance, which I distinctly prefer. But that's just me.

File:AK-47 and Type 56 DD-ST-85-01269.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check around. If at all possible, see if you can try both and compare. Then you'll know for sure.

If your going high-end, get one with the the original folding stock trunion, that way you can switch out the polymer stock for the skeletonized or visa-versa.

I use the ACE push button and I desire something more solid, there was a little wiggle and the button didn't always go fully into battery(needed lube) and the last time I took it out a newbie shooter didn't see the button and just yanked on it which bent the adapter and gave it a lot more wiggle... :(

I've probably played with every AK stock out there.
The top two in my opinion are the Vltor or CAA collapsible tubes with a CTR stock also paired with a .50 cheek riser. Next would be the Nato length stock and lastly the polish folding beryl stock.

Also if you REALLY want a folding stock go with the new TSD combat folding tube stock paired with a magpul CTR very nice setup. Im not a huge fan of folding stocks though.

I'll stick with the original Chinese wood stocks. The angle of the stock makes sight alignment alot easier. Plus, you gotta have a wood stock to bash heads in right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top