JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Generally you are looking at 1700-1850fps at best. At these velocities BC doesn't really have time to be a factor, and you are limited to about 150yds effective point blank range, with a 125yd zero.
BC won't play a big role in most handgun bullets anyway. If you want better BC then for the BT tipped bullets meant for lever actions.

Both rounds will achieve maximum velocity in a barrel less than 16," the result of limited powder capacity.
Unless "loaded for bear" or carbines.

But some like the balance of the 20" over 16".
I prefer the 16" barrels on just about anything. Both of my lever action .44 Mags are 16", but the Winchester takedown Trapper is an octagon barrel so much heavier than that Rossi. That's okay as the Winchester is a safe queen and the Rossi a truck gun.

I feel the .44 Mag is a more versatile cartridge than the .357 Mag. E.G., if I had to, and I had the right ammo and the distance was right (less than 100 yards), I would not feel too bad about taking an elk with the .44 Mag if it meant survival by harvesting meat. "Back in the day" (early 1900s), my grandfather hunted deer, black bear and elk with a .30-30 to put meat on the table. Not that I would hunt elk with either gun on purpose, but if SHTF, I was hunting deer locally, and an elk presented a good "close range" shot, I would take it with either gun.

If it's just one lever gun, I'd suggest it being a .44, as it's the most useful. But ironically, if you have both a .357 and .44 lever gun, the .357 will get the most use.

I wouldn't say it is near 3030, 150grs doing 2400, and 170s doing 2200, in factory loadings. But certainly adequate for deer and smaller for quick clean kills.
38's are definitely mild and quiet.

Full house recoil is a thump on the 44, but I don't consider it generally much more than a full load 30 30.
My 28" barrel rolling block gets 1800 fps out of .357 Mag with 158 gr bullets.

the Rossi, like its parent design, the Winchester, can wear at the shell detent and at the worst time fail. The worn detent allows a cartridge to slide back under the carrier and jam the whole works.
I shot my Rossi 45LC in cowboy action for nearly a decade, twice a month/sometimes more/had buddies at times so 3 or 4 shooters per match was not uncommon.
Nothing on the Rossi wore out in what was calculated at easily over 15000 rounds. Yes, cowboy fart loads, still the lever parts never were a problem.

I for one consider Marlin superior in both design and materials. Still, for what was basically an economy low end carbine, the USED Rossi when I bought it, "fought above it's weight".

Thanks a for all of your help in helping me brain storm this solution. I decided to get the 357 in 20" inch barrel because the 357/36 ammo is more3 available, my 74 year old eyes will appreciate the sight radius. I think the 357 may be slightly less in weight. thx.

Remote hiking with dogs in Eastern, Oregon. I have side arms in 357 and 44 mag as well. Which should I buy? thx
Colt Anaconda loaded with hot 300gr .431 jsp, the extra .001 makes a huge difference in accuracy in every barrel I've shot 44 cal in.

444 Marlin rifle, same powder and same bullet…..A Helleva Lot more penetration.

I see you made your choice before my 72 y.o. nose got to this..... but herrrrre's Dunny! I owned a .357 marlin years ago, dumped it as way under-powered for my mtn environment (of course I have regretted selling it since).
Now own a Rossi .44 mag, but waaay prefer my Marlin .30-30 (straight-stock)... even tho it means a different round (and power-factor) than my revolvers (.44s or .357s)... Mostly, a .44/.357 carbine isnt gonna be in my mtn mix anyway. Either the .30-30 or an AK or SKS go with the revolvers mentioned above. Sometimes maybe a kick/em/azz 8mm Yugo Mauser rifle, depends if I'm trunk-camping or walking/hobbling in.... Ugh, I need more large dawgs and a cart to pull summa this stuff, no 70lb packs for me anymore😩...

Last Edited:
I ALSO PURCHASED THE ROSSI 92 IN 44 MAGNUM AND GOT GREEDY AND PURCHASED TWO OF THEM. THEY WERE IN VERY SHORT SUPPLY,. ONE DEALER LIKELY HAD ONE BUT I WAS PROCESSED SLOWLY, SO I PURCHASED THE SURE THING AND THEN, THE SECOND CAME IN. I AM SUFFERING WITH TWO NICE STAINLESS 44S AND ONE 357. REALLY SUFFERING.

Colt Anaconda loaded with hot 300gr .431 jsp, the extra .001 makes a huge difference in accuracy in every barrel I've shot 44 cal in.

444 Marlin rifle, same powder and same bullet…..A Helleva Lot more penetration.
I learned to respect the .444 Marlin in the Michigan deer woods many many moons ago. Really kick-@$$ on the deer, ears, and shoulder! Ranges there werent what they are here in Colorado, so the .444 was quite viable... I've heard that the cartridge has about died off thanks to the popularity of the .45-70?

I ALSO PURCHASED THE ROSSI 92 IN 44 MAGNUM AND GOT GREEDY AND PURCHASED TWO OF THEM. THEY WERE IN VERY SHORT SUPPLY,. ONE DEALER LIKELY HAD ONE BUT I WAS PROCESSED SLOWLY, SO I PURCHASED THE SURE THING AND THEN, THE SECOND CAME IN. I AM SUFFERING WITH TWO NICE STAINLESS 44S AND ONE 357. REALLY SUFFERING.
I feel yore pain... might could alleviate some of it by sending one a them stainless .44's my way:s0060:...

Are the rear tang sights on these lever guns a big improvement for 74 year old eye? Any ideas for a rifle gun case for these lever guns? THX.

Last Edited:
I'm switching gears towards a lever and wheel cartridge combo.
I think I have the revolver narrowed down to 2 models. .357.
This thread has really good insight. I'm stealing it.
Marlin/Ruger is out of my entry price range. Is Rossi that much cheaper than Henry? I thought Henry was a go to?
Is it branding? Like Springfield hate? I see more about Rossi and Marlins than Henry and I thought they were like lever masters.
I'm trying for perspective here not start a fight. I'm just looking to shoot paper. Not HD, Or hunting. But I shoot a lot.

I can only speak to what I know. Marlins other than the 45-70 are out of production right now. The only Henry I've had/have is the plain jane .22 and it's accurate and fun to shoot with no problems ever. Rossi, Puma, Legacy, and a few others are made in Brazil but tend to be just fine but are kind of low end price wise. I've had a .357, a 44-40 and a 45 Colt all bought well used but they worked just fine and shot good. Currently I have a stainless Rossi 44 Mag Carbine that I bought new, again with no problems all though I did up grade the plastic round follower in the tube magazine to a brass one. It just made more sense to me. I was just out shooting it yesterday. It's fun and easy to shoot but packs a pretty good wallop with 300gr magnum loads.

The new Rossi's were manufactured by Brazil CBC and are excellent. They have a reputation of scary accurate. The earlier Rossi's did have troubles. Many years ago they were manufactured by Taurus and someone else; bith with problems. I have not shot mine as of yet but they seem to be a jewel. I purchased three by 114 circumstance and am happy. I have the stainless with rosewood like hardwood. Looks nice! You can get fancy iron sights for them at Skinner and some other manufacturer. If a scope was important, Rossi would not be the go to model. It is a fine handling model 92 type Winchester.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top