Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which store has best handgun inventory right now...? (Portland)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IXFE, Jan 31, 2013.

1. IXFE

IXFE Portland, OR Member

One of my business partners approached me yesterday and asked me to help him pick his first handgun. I spent some time talking to him to understand what he wants to use it for. Sounds like he wants a 9mm to take to the range, home defense, etc. He seems particular to Sig. But I'd like to show him some Glocks, XD's, M&P's, 1911's, etc. Basically, a good cross section of what's available.

So we are headed out tomorrow afternoon, but we don't have time to zig zag all around Portland. We are starting in Hillsboro and have maybe 2 hours to burn. I don't want to waste time at stores that are empty. I haven't been shopping since the madness began, so I have not idea what to expect with handguns.

For those who have been out recently, who has the best handgun inventory right now??

• MK Tactical
    • Willamette Valley Arms
    • Beaver Creek Armory
    • Fred Meyer (Cornelius Pass)
    • Discount Guns (185th)
    • Fisherman's Marine (Tigard or O.C.)
    • Wholesale Sports (82nd)
    • Northwest Armory (my personal favorite)
    • Discount Guns (Tanasborne, Tualatin, or Beaverton)

In a normal environment, I'd just go straight to NW Armory, but don't want to drive that far if they are picked over.

Thanks for your input!

2. traderpats

traderpats MILWAUKIE, OREGON Member

Probably best to burn some airtime and try to see if you can get them on the phone first. A weekday during work hours you might do ok getting through. However I would imagine those with any in stock are also going to be the most expensive....

3. Hartebreak

Hartebreak Portland Member

I was at M&K yesterday, they didnt have much. Same with beavercreek. I also hit wholesale sports in Clack last week and they were low as well. Hope this helps.

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I was at Wholesale Sports in Vancouver (yah, I know, out of state for you). They were pretty much out of everything except for some 1911's, and .22's. Did see one Taurus Judge though. I picked up a Kimber Super Carry Ultra, but no spare mags in stock.

5. redmud

redmud Colombia river Active Member

Fishermans at Delta park is down to a hand full of hand guns but they get shipments all the time, last time I was in I saw a Kimber and a Beretta px4 in .45 a MP .22. I Stopped by NW Armory today and I was surprised to see so much inventory. The place was packed I didn't have much time but I did see some XD's and quite a few other hand guns just didn't look to close at what they were sorry.

6. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

how about Keith's? I am looking for an excuse to drive up there.

7. blankman32k

blankman32k Peoples Republic of PDX Member

Keiths has the best selection I have seen in Portland. Ammo also and their prices are below MSRP. Northwest Armory, but they had a Walther PPQ (used) at a full new retail price. Cabelas in Eugene might be worth the trip, but expect to pay more.

If your friend is after a 9mm sig, there is a beautiful new one at Shooters Supply in St. Johns that is a bit of a hanger queen and has a great $700 ish price.

Enjoy your self

8. Armchair Operator

Armchair Operator Beaverton Active Member

I'd say Keith's as well. Picked up an M&P 40 Pro about two weeks ago and at that time they had plenty of handguns available. Make sure to ask if you dont see it in their cases, they have a huge inventory out back. You might also try the Gun Broker in Tigard or Clackamas they usually have a wide variety as well.

-AO

9. thewhitebuffalo83

thewhitebuffalo83 Gresham/Boring Well-Known Member

I was at Keiths last Tuesday and they had a decent selection. The used rack and case which are usually my favorites to check out are sad looking, and inventory is definitely low, but I have been to Rapid Fire in Sandy and my brother NW Amory and they cant touch Keith's inventory right now.

10. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Anyone see a Beretta PX4 Storm full size 9mm kicking around?

11. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer St.Helens Active Member

where is this store at, I did not know St Johns had a shooting store. I could not seem to find it by doing a search.

12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

The Gun Room specializes in Glocks and'll do ya right. that was a joke

13. Bob D

Bob D Oregon, Cascades Well-Known Member

Stopped by Keith's last night for an issue with a handgun I bought there last summer. They had plenty of inventory on the floor and plenty of customers trying to buy it. Keith likes to buy in bulk, and they always keep a buttload of stock in the basement. If you don't see what you like, ask about it. Always make sure you're paying a fair price though, they're good old-fashioned capitalists there and will completely rip you off if you let it happen. :) They'll give you really fair prices if you know what you're talking about though.

14. IXFE

IXFE Portland, OR Member

Thanks for the info... sounds like Kieth's is the place. I was hoping you wouldnt' say that. I'd rather not drive out there on a Friday afternoon, and I can do without their attitude.

I'm going to make a few calls...

andreys21 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Bob D

There is a definite attitude at Keith's. If you can talk to Keith himself, do it. Flash a CHL or Mil ID and never do so much as smile at their condescending "jokes," and they might stop making them. They have a "the customer is always a dooshbag" policy there.

16. IXFE

IXFE Portland, OR Member

Does anybody have the address and phone # to Shooters Supply in St. Johns? I can't find anything about this place online.

17. Bob D

It's Shooters Service Center. 8242 N Lombard Street (503) 289-1280

18. IXFE

IXFE Portland, OR Member

Okay, so here's how today played out...

My biz partner tells me this morning his wife wants the P229 Scorpion (she likes the colors). I sigh thinking there's no way I'll find such a niche gun. Also, at $1200 it seems like a BIG investment for their first piece.

Since it's close to work I stop into Beaver Creek on my way to the office and among they 12 guns in the case guess what I see?? A P229 Scorpion!! So I determine that we'll go back there when we head out to shop in the afternoon.

When I get to the office, I call around and find that NW Armory also has a P229 Scorpion among many other Sigs, XD's, Glocks, etc. The price on the Scorpion is $100 less than Beaver Creek so when we go out at 3pm we head straight to NW Armory. My buddy's wife and daughter meet us there. Within 2 minutes of arriving the Scorpion is set aside with his wife's name on it. Then the daughter says, "Dad, I want a gun too!" Like the good father he is, he says, "Let's find one that fits you!" She tries several in her small hand and selects the Ruger SR9c. Boom... another gun is added to the growing pile. Then the wife says, "Honey, what are you going to shoot?" He looks at like, "Ummm... the Sig that I just bought for us." She then says, "I hope you don't think you're going to shoot MY new gun!" At this point I'm LMAO. So my buddy wanders over to the Sig counter and starts handling the plain jane black Sigs. He briefly considers another Scorpion (threaded barrel is all that's left at this point). Then I point to the Sig 1911 Stainless and say, "Hey, what about this one?" I convince him that now that his ladies have 9mm guns, he's free to get a big, heavy .45 gun! He fondles the 1911 for about 30 seconds, and onto the gun pile it goes! 16 boxes of ammo, two cleaning kits, eyes, and ears. They needed everything... literally starting from scratch.

I gotta admit, it was heart warming to see this great man spoil his ladies, then take care of himself. All this paranoia has brought a lot of new people into the sport. That's a good thing.

229-Scorpion-detail-Hero.jpg

sc%204%20sr9c%20compactmodelksr9c.jpg

1911-Stainless-detail-hero_4.jpg

19. blankman32k

blankman32k Peoples Republic of PDX Member

8242 n Lombard. Went in and fondled it today.

20. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

You should have gotten a referral check from NW Armory for the business you brought them.