Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which state has the best gun laws?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by SheepDog223, May 14, 2011.

1. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

I vote Oregon. CC in schools, bars, and churches. Full auto, sbr, sbs, silencer, aow.

Enter your vote and tell us the primary reason for your answer please.

2. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

aside from concealed carry permit requirements, OR follows the federal minimum... the only way we could have better gun laws would be if we had "constitutional carry" or decided to collectively ignore federal regulation (wistful sigh)

3. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I vote Alaska but Vermont is 97.

state scores

Alaska 98
    Washington 78
    Idaho 89
    Montana 87
    Oregon 81
    Nevada 87
    Utah 83
    Arizona 89
    Wyoming 89

4. Definitely California. The liberals are always pointing it out. Duh.

Stomper, USMC1911, noyolk and 13 others like this.
  5. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

What does Alaska have up on Oregon? I thought they had more restrictions on where you could CC your pistol.

6. Dieselfuel12v

Dieselfuel12v Bellingham Member

So much for the UNITED States of America, when your next door neighbor has a completely separate set of laws than you. Better ones at that, all except pumping your own gas, points and laughs at Oregon ;)

7. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Well, I've only lived in three of the states in questions and of those I would have to say Oregon so far has been the best. (as far as gun laws go:))

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

There's a few things that I'd change with Oregon's laws. Allow CC without a permit, add a parking lot storage law, and get rid of the asinine prohibition of carrying a loaded firearm on an ATV. I'm sure there's other things too.

The areas most states outscore Oregon is because of of the gun show laws and not honoring any other states concealed carry permits. Oregon's laws aren't bad.

9. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

For best average I vote OR. Other states may have better parts to their law, but OR seems to have the most overall freedom.

10. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

You dont really need one as you can carry in your rig and walking. Really only need one for another state for reciprotory laws.

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Go ahead and pump you own gas, we gots SBR's and AOW short shotty's down here in Oregon and YOU in WA don't... and I use Pacific Pride and pump my own anyway... HA HA!!!

12. judicator

judicator McMinnville Active Member

I voted Alaska, for this reason:

A lot of states have "good laws", except certain urban regions have very different attitudes towards guns. In Alaska, I believe things are far more uniformly pro-gun across the state. Alaska rocks!

13. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

And machine guns. Pretty, pretty machine guns.

14. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I do not like Oregon's law requiring background checks for all guns sold at gun-shows. The deals and trades that used to go on at the shows have been severely hampered by this law. Instead of holding criminals accountable for illegally buying a firearms that they are prohibited to possess, they punish law abiding citizens who sell on good faith that others...

Alaska laws have always been very good to me. With the federal law now saying that the carrying of a firearm in a national park is governed by the state's laws, I can carry my guide gun through the national parks. No more unloading and loading all the time. Much safer...

15. Lush

Lush Seattle, Washington, United States Active Member

if your a good clean hard working american then getting a background check shouldnt be a problem should it??? how is that punishment?

16. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

since when can only "good clean hard working Americans" speak? or have privacy? or be protected by the umbrella of due process? or be protected from having troops quartered in his home? or have the right to a jury trial? or be protected from cruel and unusual punishment?

im pretty sure EVERY American is entitled to ALL of these.... wait, somethings missing...

17. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Because in the state of Oregon, it costs $10 (and as of July 1, apparently will cost $26). It is obnoxious and time consuming, not to mention that the government is charging me to exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. They used to be entertaining gatherings where friends met to trade and BS about guns. It's no longer as congenial as it used to be. Some people no longer come to trade because they don't want the hassle or the cost of the mandated background check...

18. Lush

Lush Seattle, Washington, United States Active Member

BKB00000 im not going to waist my time any more then i already am by not responding to you. and

mountian bear you bring up a good point it do take some time and is a pain. but like you said its a place for friends and people with common intrests to get together. so wats wrong with spending a few more min to BS with people. and the ten bucks for most (if not all) people that buy guns is not gonna make or break a deal. but if it means that people that shouldnt have guns dont have them im all for it. cause i think somewhere in being a felon means that you will break laws....

19. Smoke It

Smoke It northwest New Member

In Alaska if you want to go plinking you set up some targets in your yard grab a chair and start shooting

20. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You forgot being presumed innocent until proven guilty.