JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, the only two revolvers I have (and have ever had for that matter) are single action 22s: a North American Arms Mini just for fun and a Ruger Single Six.

I've been tempted for the past month or so, by the Ruger LCR, but I've never owned a double action revolver before, and wonder if I wouldn't be better to start with something a little sturdier and more versatile like the SP-101. At the same time, I've just fell in love with how the LCR feels.

This wouldn't primarily be a carry gun, but I'd like to stick with a smaller size gun so I have that option. I'd also be open to something like a S&W J-Frame or other recommendations. I'm mostly just trying to fish for y'all's opinions. Thanks.

If you loved how the lcr feels in your hand, then get it. simple as that. how a gun feels in the hand is #1 or 2 on my priority list. I like the feel of a j frame personally, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of your options mentioned. good luck! Mike.

I have the LCR, and for what it is, I love it. Not an all day range gun, especially in +p or the new .357 Mag version, but it's a very clean and smooth trigger pull for a DA only revolver. In a pocket holster I can carry it in my shorts and not even know it's there.

I'm biased though - this is one of three Rugers I own (also a GP100 and a SBH). I looked at j-frames too, and really like them; this one just felt better. The "sights" of course are crap, but with the snubby I doubt you are going to care. I have the CR grips on mine, and while I prefer the feel of the Hogue grips, they work.

LCR.jpg

The SP101 is a very nice revolver though. For me though it sits in this weird no-man's land, between the GP100, which is flat out my favorite over all gun, and the LCR, which is just a last resort pocket gun. Neither the SP101 or the LCR fit my hand like the GP100, so knowing the grip was going to be small regardless, I just decided to go for "max small" in choosing the LCR over the SP101.

Either way though, I think you'll be happy with either choice. Get what feels best in your hands.

I have not had any experience with the LCR or other Rugers. I have had a S&W 642 and I absolutly loved it. I bought it for my wife but it was a bit much for her so we sold it to get her something that fit her better. I wish we would have kept it.

My preferences are for pre-lock S&W J-frames. Depending on if you want steel or airweight. For steel, I prefer the stainless, either the Model 60 or 649. For airweight, I like the 638 and the 642. All should be good with standard and +P loads. The SP101 is a great gun as well, I just prefer the feel and trigger of the S&W.

I'm sure the LCR is a quality gun, as Ruger generally makes a good product, but it doesn't feel right. It feels like a plastic squirt gun. Same thing with the new S&W polymer revolver. I think I just prefer either steel or at least alloy...

...but it doesn't feel right. It feels like a plastic squirt gun. Same thing with the new S&W polymer revolver. I think I just prefer either steel or at least alloy...

Lots of truth to this statement. The LCR is only 13oz, and if I've been holding anything else before I pick it up, I do need to double-check its real sometimes. :D

Still love mine, but in no way would I claim it to be a gun the feels great in the hand. At least not compared to a full size. I do think of this as a very specific role gun. It's for summer shorts concealed carrry. Period. But I also have big hands. And my SA 1911 is my normal conceal carry.

I couldn't see this as a range gun at all. So in that regard, maybe an SP101 is a better choice (or the comparable S&Ws in that size). No lie - I'd rather shoot the .44 Mag SBH for an extended period of time than the LCR. I shoot it to be comfortable with it so it's there in an emergency, but it's not a "fun" gun to have.

Just my $0.02.

I have the SP101 in 2.25" hammerless and am very happy with it. The trigger pull is a bit to get used to but not out of the normal realm. I take it out every other month and shoot a couple hundred rounds through it without issue. The 357 loads are much heavier on the hand but nothing too uncomfortable.

As soon as I recieve my new holster from Eugene, it will be my main carry gun.

god I love little revolvers, just can't seem to shoot well with them. I keep buying them then wind up selling or trading them away. taking the same action and expecting different results, oh well.

I got off work a few minutes early today, and I figured I'd stop by the gun store and see if I was getting any closer to a decision. I hadn't even considered the Smith and Wessons all that seriously, and I end up walking out with 642. I ended up having the Hogue grips installed in the store, and everything about it feels great.

I think I can see the small revolvers becoming a happy habit for me too!

Thanks all for your advice. ClayPiegon and MountainBear I think you steered me the right way.

I don't think I'm going to have a chance to shoot it before I leave on vacation (Pendleton & Bend). Anyone know any good places in the forest to shoot out that way?

DSCN0489.JPG

I just purchased the new Bodyguard by Smith and Wesson for my wife. Shot it a couple days ago and was amazed at the low recoil from this extremely light handgun. Must be something to do with the new grip shape. Repeatedly hit a milk with +P loads at 25 yards and fired very controlable d-taps at 15 yards. I am amazed at how this little revolver shoots and feels. The built in laser is a plus but I didn't use it but the new cylinder release is really nice and works well.

For a sub $500 handgun this is a real winner.

Might have to pick one up for myself now...

So, the only two revolvers I have (and have ever had for that matter) are single action 22s: a North American Arms Mini just for fun and a Ruger Single Six.

I've been tempted for the past month or so, by the Ruger LCR, but I've never owned a double action revolver before, and wonder if I wouldn't be better to start with something a little sturdier and more versatile like the SP-101. At the same time, I've just fell in love with how the LCR feels.

This wouldn't primarily be a carry gun, but I'd like to stick with a smaller size gun so I have that option. I'd also be open to something like a S&W J-Frame or other recommendations. I'm mostly just trying to fish for y'all's opinions. Thanks.

I would go with either one.

I carry a mdl.36 j frame my son in law has a LCR.

I am not much of a revolver guy, but after feeling under-gunned with an LCP when I couldn't carry my mid size Glocks, I decided to listen to all the wise old men touting the S&W J-Frames. Got a good deal on an M&P340 with the Crimson Laser grips and absolutely love it. It quickly became my most carried gun.

It has much better sights than the 442/642 and then of course the laser as well. Is definitely a handful to shoot though. Definitely not a gun you are going to send a few hundred rounds down at the range. "Sharp" recoil with .38s, painful with +P, and absolutely miserable with full power magnum loads.

That under-gunned feeling is long gone.

There are some places outside of Bend if you have a chance while you are here. Best place is probably the range out in Millican (about 20 miles east of Bend). There are some closer places, but archery season opens this weekend, and they'll be crawling with hunters...

Good choice. I've owned a couple of the 642/442 family. My current one is a 649 no dash. I just like the S&W's...

There are some places outside of Bend if you have a chance while you are here. Best place is probably the range out in Millican (about 20 miles east of Bend).

Thanks. I just Googled Millican Shooting Range Oregon and got cossa. That looks great. I'll have to check it out if I have the chance.

I really think I made a good choice picking this one up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top