JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which rifle reigns?

• Trapdoor

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Rolling Block

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Falling Block

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
Thinking about the early rifles in our country's history and the actions that gave them character.

The Springfield Trapdoor.

The Remington Rolling Block.

The Sharps Falling Block.

Pros and cons to each design, of course…but if you were going to declare that every American own one…which would it be?

The Trapdoors have always held my fascinations…though @Andy54Hawken might see one as a waste of a perfectly good musket, I like 'em.

I only have three single shots, an old JC Higgins 12ga shotgun, a 410ga NEF shotgun, and a 500 S&W Mag. The JC Higgins needs a new stock that I haven't been able to find for years but the other two see plenty of use. Makes the young ones really focus on hitting their target. I really like single shots and would like to expand into some historical pieces.

Not related to older guns but I see brownells has added a single shot setting for their brn-180 in 300 BO. Kind of interesting if you want a really quiet shot with no noise from the action or gasses out the port you can manually cycle the round. There is a setting that shuts off the gas.

E8FC6DEB-0299-4DF4-8C13-382DFF2F0408.jpeg

Henry makes a damn fine single shot.

Oh wait you were talking old school! ;)

Hardly a contest. Vintage the best single shot is the John Browning designed Winchester model 1885 in any of the dozens of calibers its offered in.

Modern (until you ho exotic expensive) would be one of the Rugar's.

The 1885 design is stronger then all but the Rugar. And beautiful.

While no where near the league of many of the rifles mentioned above....
I once owned a Savage 219 from the 1940's...it was a very nice and good looking rifle in .30WCF.
Would love to have one again.....

I may get a Henry Single Shot one of these days....
Andy

Not sure about king, but as a game getter, of the ones I've hung on to the longest, I have three that have done very well for me, All were less than 100 bucks a little sad but cleaned up fine;...

Stevens 12ga, downed more birds and small things with fur than my Benelli
IMGP0145-1.jpg
Stevens 22lr pocket rifle. If you can see it, you can hit it.
IMGP0247.JPG
Winchester 60A
Simplicity and safety personified, and drives tacks too!.
IMGP0082.JPG

I have this Savage 219 in .22 Hornet that's solid. Every once in a while I try to find the 30-30 and 16ga barrels. This thing is like a long barrel shoulder fired TC Contender!

3C6E47D1-B7E4-4B5D-A619-C03B3A68D3E9.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads