JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 1911 should I keep?

• Total voters
Reactions
So I recently traded into another 1911. I can only afford to keep one. That's all there is to it. I cannot keep both (unless someone wants to give me a bunch of cash ;)).
First is the one I had first. Its a full size stainless S&W 1911. Its been 100% reliable. It has a few things I'd like to change about it, but overall, I've been very happy with it. It's a bit bulky to carry concealed, but I am already set up with several holsters to do so.

The next option is one I just got in a trade. It's an almost new Kimber Pro Raptor II. It's carbon steel in a commander size frame. It has almost brand new night sights. I like the gun, but would need to change at least the mainspring housing, as I refuse to have a 1911 with plastic parts. I would also be limited as to carry methods until I got a new holster. Currently, only my jackass shoulder rig would work.

Which one should I keep? I listed the Kimber in the classifieds, but I'm having second thoughts. In an ideal world, I'd keep both, but it's not an ideal world right now...

Question time. If you have holsters for the govt. size, would they not also fit the commander? The Kimber just wouldn't fill the holster, but it would work for now. Also, does the S&W have night sights? That's gotta be worth something. If all you would need to do is change the MSH on the Kimber, that could probably be done for ~$30. If it were me, I would probably keep the Kimber, but I like the commander length. Say what you will about which dimensions are most critical to concealability, but I think that for CC, the shorter barrel is going to be easier to hide.

My advice: take them both out and shoot them. See which one you like best and sell the other one. :s0159::s0159: (adjusted for inflation)

:s0114:

Tough choice, their both beautiful. It sounds like your more interested in concealed carry so I would stick with the Kimber, if you prefer going to the range more then caring, then the S&W would be a good choice. Personally, I like the idea of carrying So I would stick with the Kimber.

I did the same thing recently and kept my tackdriver Colt 1911 A1 and gave up a LW Series 80 Commander on a trade. 3/4" is not much difference if the full size shoots better and if you have a full size holster and stick a Commander in it you are, in effect, still concealing a full size gun.

Well thanks to selling some other items (Thanks, Orus), I think I'll just be the 1911 whore that I am and keep both... :D I suppose I should have made that an option in the poll...

Well thanks to selling some other items (Thanks, Orus), I think I'll just be the 1911 whore that I am and keep both... :D I suppose I should have made that an option in the poll...

It's NEVER too late since you kept both. You should consider this:

Get rid of them both. Hear me out.

You don't necessarily like the 5" 1911's size. You do like the Commander sized one. You don't like the cheaped out parts of the Kimber, and rightfully so. The thing I don't like about both S&W and Kimber is their firing pin safety systems deviating away from the 1911A1 standard in such away that parts replacement is a more limited affair. S&W complicates this with their external extractor as well. I'd get rid of both of them.

Consider trading in both of them to go upmarket.

Candidate one: Dan Wesson C or V Bobtail. All forged frame hammer and slide. All machined quality small parts from a who's who of the best in the industry.

Candidate two: Colt XSE Combat Commander. All stainless steel frame. Made on all new CNC machinery. Colt is putting out their best pistols in decades and you get the ownership of the "non-clone." Take the extra that you can come away with and get some night sights if you wish. The Series 80 firing pin safety system is way better accommodated on the after market than the "Schwartz" system in the Kimbers and the S&Ws.

ColtComCom-1.jpg

Just a thought.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews