JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which shotgun rounds to stock up on for SHTF?

• Bird shot

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • Buck Shot

Votes: 94 70.1%
  • Slugs

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
If I had to choose only one: OO-Buck for SHTF, because if it gets "that bad" and I have 00-Buck I "can get" bird shot, slugs, food, gold, and more bullets... ;)

That being said, I keep my Mossberg-500 loaded with 00-Buck alternating with 1-oz. rifled slugs for 8 rnds. of incredible CQC destructive goodness.

Yeah dude I don't think the perps Momma would recognize em after you unloaded that barrage on em. GOOD LORD brother!

4 buck is great for HD. Wont penetrate walls like 00.
Bird is for killing birds. Dont expect anything else.
Slug, make sure to get a good rifled slug. For the big things on 2's. Bears are in more places than AK.
00 is a good medium. It can be used for all but isnt perfect for any.

Try and shoot some clays with 00 and see how you do. I did ok.

. But Rem 3" copper sabot slugs are awesome firepower. Thats for sure!

Only in a fully rifled barrel, of which I have two. A Remington 1100 and a Winchester 1300. They are devastating and will hit the kill zone at 200 yds. Then there's the Winchester Defender smooth bore for 00 buck, and a Remington 1100 bird gun with #6 because we have ducks and geese.

I like to mix it up. I like killing my particle board targets and various gourds so the Buck shot is kind of mandatory. Get some slugs because I hear zombies are allergic to slugs. And I get the bird shot because I like to upland game bird hunt as well as go blasting clays. So basically I am saying you need have a diverse ammunition portfolio when it comes to the shotgun. I would say start with the buck shot for HD stuff and work your way out from there. I don't have a ton of shotgun rounds as its not a primary weapon for anything, and frankly I like shooting other guns a bit better. That said I will probably be picking up a bunch more bird shot because this will be the year that I will learn to lead a clay and destroy it. Probably get more buck shot too.

I have agree with this statement. I have mixed it up, buy a little here and little there. A little of this and and a little of that. Each shot size has it's own little specialty. Figure out what your primary purpose is and start there, remembering your shotgun is going to to have to pull double duty, it is going to be a hame or personal defense weapon and gun for hunting small and large. I have killed everything from rabbits & squirrels to deer with a 12 gauge.

My vote would be #7 1/2 bird shot for all around hunting and non-mortal self defense (also good for close quarters cause it typically won't make it through drywall and hit your wife/kids/girlfriend on the other side) - also it is cheap - target loads are about $4 per box of 25 - a case of 10 boxes, 250 rounds = $40
Next - 00 buck for when you mean business - or whatever you find close to that for cheap. You don't have to aim and at close quarters you will still hit your target at least once.
Slugs - not all shotguns are created equal and many are not designed for slugs - you may want to keep a few around for opening doors - but that is a pretty noisy key

I have a riot gun that is totaly worthless with 90% of Buckshot @20 feet, gaint doughnut patterns you could step through!
Use a #2 upland load with power-piston/any cup design and it is a force to be reckoned with!
You really have to test your gun for patterns with every load!

#3 for ducks, BB or T for geese, 00 for deer.

#3 wont destroy rabbits or even quail or pheasant from rational distances so you still have a meal instead of mush.

7 1/2 is excellent at making you look like a pro when skeet shooting though :D

#3 for ducks, BB or T for geese, 00 for deer.

#3 wont destroy rabbits or even quail or pheasant from rational distances so you still have a meal instead of mush.

7 1/2 is excellent at making you look like a pro when skeet shooting though :D
#6 is my go-to for general game ammo, #4 for jack rabbits, peasants, ducks.
but in a survival situation I would switch to rim fires

I've thought about that a lot. Defending the place, or moving around the place is one thing. But if I really had to bug out into the remote forest, it might just be the nylon 66 and a 1,000 rounds of .22lr.

I am one of the few remaining that can totaly strip (and reassemble) a Nylon 66, a very excelent rifle. only recently (in geologic terms) outdone by the plasticised 10-22

I am one of the few remaining that can totaly strip (and reassemble) a Nylon 66, a very excelent rifle. only recently (in geologic terms) outdone by the plasticised 10-22

IMHO, the 10-22 doesn't have as nice a trigger, as nice of sights, and is not is it as accurate.

Am I wrong about that?

IMHO, the 10-22 doesn't have as nice a trigger, as nice of sights, and is not is it as accurate.

Am I wrong about that?
The thing about a 10-22 is that it is like a VW, you can build it into anything you want.
I built a rifle that would drop a ground squirrel @ 135 paces with a big scope and target trigger
Then I rebuilt it into a Tacticle Trainer. I could stick a folding stock onto it, if I wished.
The NYLON 66 IS A FANTASTIC RIFLE but it simply is not designed to be anything other than that, which is plenty!

Many people have a few boxes of birdshot around and if there are a lot of dead people, raids on empty homes will turn that up. Very few people stock up on buckshot. Birdshot is NO substitute for buck and is nearly worthless at any real distance against attackers. Buck can also be an effective big bird load

Am I wrong about that?

Possibly wrong. All of those things are end user changeable on the 10/22. It's very strength is in its modularity. Match barrels. Quick detach scopes and optics. Match quality trigger packs, all these are possible with the 10/22.

I tend to stock up on 3" 000 Buck for my Saiga.

I'll be getting a Remington 870 at some point in the next 9 months and am thinking about experimenting with a few different loads to see what it likes, what I like and what we can agree on.

I'm particularly interested in checking out Centurion's Ball & Buck, Brenneke Tactical Home Defense Slug and some Fiocchi less lethal loads.

I'm particularly interested in checking out Centurion's Ball & Buck, Brenneke Tactical Home Defense Slug and some Fiocchi less lethal loads.

I've been eying the Centurion Ball & Buck too... interesting "duplex" round. Just a (non-disparaging) question though, if things get to the point where it warrants you have to shoot someone(s), why would you use "less lethal" rounds... in my mind that means two things: 1) a wounded perpetrator who can still do harm (immediately or come back later), 2) a lawsuit by a surviving perpetrator.

I understand about having "options" in maybe dispersing "zombie packs" outside your house (who may be back when you go to sleep sometime), so I'd be interested "hearing" in your thoughts in the use of "less lethal" rounds and why you're considering them. :s0155:

I would not reccomend 7 1/2 or 8 birdshot on anything other than clays. I personally have hit smaller game bird & saw feathers fly but no bird drop on several occassions. stick with 6 or 4 for actual hunting game birds. The rest has been covered pretty good.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top