JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I want to start shooting long range . I have a PWS ar15 and 10 . I would like suggestions on which tactical scope to get. I am not Interested in mortgaging my house but want something that will get me out to 600 for the 5.56 and 1000 plus for the 7.62 mm . I am fairly new at distance shooting. However I have practiced quite a bit and shot elk at 400 plus . I am just wanting to test my self and have fun. Which scope would you suggest ? Which adjustment is best ? Thanks in advance Patrick

Here is a Bushnell at MSRP And another Bushnell at nearly half that MSRP. Here is a Oregon made Leupold that is more expensive, and another that is a little closer to Earth than all the others. I like Burris' 5.56 and <broken link removed> , the 7.62 version is about $800 on Amazon and the 5.56 is cheaper.
Of course there are much more expensive solutions

I personally prefer the Vortex line, the glass is very clear, nice quality, and their lifetime - no bs warranty is awesome. For your 1000+ yard shots you will want to go with something in the 20 - 24 max power range. I also prefer that my scopes be a First Focal plane scope. As far as the reticle, that's personal preference as well, I prefer a Mil over MOA.

Consider the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA. It might be a bit more expensive than you are thinking at ~$1000, but it's optics and features are a bargain at that price point. You will also want a 20 MOA base. Check out the forums at Snipershide.com - these guys are all about LR tactical. Also, search out sniper 101 on youtube.

Sorry for a stupid question but, can't you just buy one really good scope and use it on both the .308 and 5.56?

You could, but it would be a PITA to shoot both on the same day. Some quick detach bases return to zero pretty well on the same rifle, but when shooting at 600-1000 yards, you really don't want potential for even the slightest variable.

Consider the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA. It might be a bit more expensive than you are thinking at ~$1000, but it's optics and features are a bargain at that price point. You will also want a 20 MOA base. Check out the forums at Snipershide.com - these guys are all about LR tactical. Also, search out sniper 101 on youtube.

This is the same scope I use on my 110BA and 111 LRH except mine is the EBR-1 MRad. The sniper 101 videos have a lot of good info. Here is the link to it. SNIPER 101 - YouTube

I have been watching them . I am thinking about getting th ior.sfwa or ? I also am researching the vortex line. I am not sure f I should spend a ton of money yet . These seemed to be highly rated by Rex on sniper 101

So question Mrad or MOA

That's kind of like trying to decide between US and European Chocolate. Both are slightly different but still durn good and will get the job done. Pick one and stick with it to avoid confusion. If I had a shooting partner who would be spotting for me and vice-versa I'd go with whatever my partner was already using.

For your scope investment, check to see what used scopes are selling for. That will tell you how much risk you are taking. I wouldn't buy a used scope or other optic from someone I didn't know or at least had an established reputation.

Not sure about your budget, but a Sightron S3 8-32x power would be on my short list. Knowing I could get most my money back I wouldn't hesitate getting a used Nightforce. The benchrest model in 12-42x can be found just over a grand used. With some recent discontinued models and new models people have upgraded to, it seems to be a buyers market with used Nightforce scopes right now.

Shooting those ranges I like a fine aiming point like a .125 dot, fine cross hair or one of specialized Nightforce reticules like the NP-2DD.

Bottom line is I wouldn't waste my time on cheap optics for those ranges. Nothing will discourage you more at those distances than fighting poor optics.

Hey guys just a update. So after a ton of research and listening to guys that have been there and done it . I purchased a Vortex viper pst 6-24-50mm . I absolutely love it . I will post up a pic in a lil bit to show off my new toy :) . Thanks guys for the help it was much appreciated.

Hey guys just a update. So after a ton of research and listening to guys that have been there and done it . I purchased a Vortex viper pst 6-24-50mm . I absolutely love it . I will post up a pic in a lil bit to show off my new toy :) . Thanks guys for the help it was much appreciated.

Which reticle did you go with? First or second focal plane?

I've had 2 vortex scopes,cheap ones yes,but I would go with a Leopold for that much money.
Clear as any of them and there are great ones at the $700 range with life time warranties. (mine came home for under $700)

30mm tube and a 50mm objective.Can be found for less than $900 all day long
VX-3 4.5-14x50mm (30mm) Side Focus | Leupold

I wouldn't spend more than $100 for a Vortex,JMO,YMMV

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR