JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought a nikon 3x9x50 and am looking at all the different rings and bases out there and wondering what everyone else is using. I'm not even sure which hieghth I will need. My rifle is a remington model 721. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Myron

Go with Leupold bases and dove-tail rings. You will need the high mounts for that 50mm bell.

Head over the Leupold website and they have a guide on there to ensure you get the right bases and rings.

Go with Leupold if you can, and the "dual dovetail" is a good system, but not really necessary on a 721 (I'm assuming .270 or .30-06 caliber).

The dual-dovetail would be my choice on an extremely high-recoil gun such as .375 or bigger. The STD system would be much better for your 721, as it allows you a "rough windage adjustment" on the rear ring. This adjustment in the mount itself allows you to keep your reticle closer to center in your lenses, thus enjoying the best clarity. (Of course the reticle on almost any modern scope always "appears" centered, but if your scope dial is cranked way to one side, your delivered view is actually being transmitted through a portion of the lens not near the center.)

If your good ol' 721 still has its iron sights, and you think that in some scenario you might want to use them in a hurry, the STD mount also allows you to pull one of the windage screws out of the mount, and pivot the scope off the rifle instantly. This is NOT repeatable, so if you do this, you will need to sight in the scope again when it is returned to the gun.

If you think you might exercise this option more than in a rare event, then use a Leupold "QR" (quick release) system. If you think you will use this option frequently, then use a Leupold "QRW" system.

Both of these systems are amazingly "repeatable", meaning you can take the scope on and off at will, re-attach it instantly, and your gun will shoot to previous point of impact. (The QRW system attaches to what resembles a Picatinny rail, and those rings can actually be used on a Weaver base, but repeatability may not quite be as good as if you use a Leupold QRW base.) The "QR" system uses a cam-notch post on the lower half of the ring, and a cam-lever (smaller than the QRW lever) on the mount.

A note on 50mm objectives: Not my choice for any gun unless you are very frequently hunting in low-light conditions. The advantage to the large objective is a moderate amount of increased light transmission to the pupil. I have never found it necessary. The disadvantage is that it requires you to mount the scope much higher, and consequently you will raise your cheek off the comb to see through the scope. Proper cheek-weld to the comb of the stock is essential to accurate shooting, and reduces felt recoil to your sensitive little cheek.

You will note that Leupold was among the very last of the major scope manufacturers to finally offer 50mm objectives, and they did this as a requirement of the market. Too many people go for the 50 that probably will never (or certainly not frequently) need the moderate light-transmission advantage. Leupold rightly resisted this until they simply could not with regard to market-share.

Your 721 comb (if factory stock) does not have an exaggerated raised cheekpiece, and is actually ergonomically set up for use of the iron sights, so in the best of all worlds you would mount your scope as low as possible to still clear the barrel with the objective lens. Often, I will mount a scope on a rifle trying for only "dental floss clearance" between the objective lens and the barrel when the scope is cinched down in the rings.

Finally, a word about Weaver rings and bases: Installed correctly, I have never had them fail. They are also surprisingly "repeatable" (though not to the degree of the above mentioned quick-release systems). My major complaint with Weaver rings of the regular style is that it is very difficult to achieve perfect verticle reticle orientation with the bore. As you tighten the ring screws, the scope actually rotates a bit, so you have to "predict" where it will end up when the ring is tight.

If you want your 721 to show some semblance of "of the period" scope mounting system, Weaver would be the way to go, as the 721 in its time was probably most frequently adorned with good ol' Weavers. Your choice of scope sort of negates this pursuit of "period correctness", so that is probably not what you are after, and I understand this. If you frequently hunt from a stand or during very late evening, pushing legal shooting light, you may well realize an advantage to that 50mm objective.

The 721 is a good action, the predecessor to the 700, and your choice there cannot be disrespected by anyone who knows these guns for their reliability and accuracy. Good Shooting!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top