JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for help from the brain trust here.

I just picked up a vortex viper pst ii and I'm trying to decide which rifle to put it on. Both are good candidates.

My goal from both rifles is to be proficient at 600 yards from a solid rest with a dream of doing some 1000 yard shots. (Though this will be limited by my own skill and availability of ranges)

Rifle 1:
Ruger precision rifle in .308
Currently equipped with a Burris xtr-312 scope in a leupold one piece base.
571B4852-8851-446D-ADD6-EFFD3756650A.jpeg

Rifle 2:
Ar-10 in 6.5 creedmoor (24" criterion barrel)
Currently equipped with a Sig Whiskey scope in a Warne one piece base.
2374E4F2-B9E0-4CCC-BD33-45E8E486D9C2.jpeg

The sig scope is a value scope. It isn't great. I put it on the ar-10 simply because it was grey and matched my cerakoting.

Which rifle would you suggest putting the new viper on? It'll be mounted in a larue c.a.n. Mount.

If I put it on the RPR the XTR will trickle down to the AR10. If I put it on the AR10 the XTR will stay on the RPR.

Thanks in advance for the advice! 20795223-DF99-4DFF-A7E8-C161C3EA69EA.jpeg

I would first figure out the adjustment needed for each gun to get to 1000 yards, then figure out which scope is capable of the job. If a scope lists a max elevation adjustment of 70, that is 35 MOA in each direction. Then you have plus or minus adjustments for mounting, and any can built into rail or mounts.

If the RPR and scope are working for you, then why mess with it?
FWIW my 308 RPR and Burris XTR are a great pairing. I'd put the PST on the Creedmoor and call it good.

I agree with the comments above. I will also mention that one of the perks of a one piece scope mount is how easy they switch from gun to gun. I had a similar situation in the past and built up my bore sighting by eye skills to the point of having first rounds well within a 6" radius of the bullseye. A few more shots and I was zeroed. So you can try several combinations out and decide what you like best.

Last Edited:
My goal from both rifles is to be proficient at 600 yards from a solid rest with a dream of doing some 1000 yard shots. (Though this will be limited by my own skill and availability of ranges)
What is proficient to you ? Reliable hits on a certain size target , groups of a certain size .... or ?
I run a 6 power out to 600 but only expect reliable torso size target hits don't care about group size . Some folks run irons out to 600 and can group .....
You got two good rigs there capable of a whole lot .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top