JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have narrowed my search down to a Savage in .308 and unless an amazing deal comes along, I shall not be talked out of it. Dont even try. I have heard great things about them, especially the 10 and 110 series. Which one of the series should I pick up? Price is important, but not the most important thing. I want an accurate, longer range shooter. Thanks, jd

I have narrowed my search down to a Savage in .308 and unless an amazing deal comes along, I shall not be talked out of it. Dont even try. I have heard great things about them, especially the 10 and 110 series. Which one of the series should I pick up? Price is important, but not the most important thing. I want an accurate, longer range shooter. Thanks, jd

Pretty sure the difference between 10 and 110 series is either short or long action. .308 being short.
I just purchased a Savage 111, Hunter Series, in 30-06 and couldn't be happier. It's everything I had hoped for and accurate right out of the box as promised.
I haven't adjusted my accutrigger but it was light and crisp from the factory. I'd recommend making sure yours had one. I don't think you'll be dissapointed going with Savage...

If you get a stock Savage .308 it will be a model 10. The 10 denotes a short action which will accommodate the .308 family and similar length cartridges. The 110 is a long action and fits 30-06 length cartridges.

You will never hear me try to talk anyone out of a Savage as they are one of the greatest production bolt guns available and my personal favorite, but then again I'm into "ugly" guns.

Model 10 isn't only 308. Savage 1X models are short action, 1XX are long action. Look for a newer gun with accutrigger. Beyond that only difference in Savage receivers is finish and barrel. 10/110 usually heavier barrel more "tactical" while other hunting oriented. Depending on what you want Cabela's has had some nice deals on package guns. I scoured pawn shops and picked up a 110 in 7mm, pulled barrel and swapped with an ER Shaw threaded 308 barrel and dropping in a Choate stock- all for less then a new gun with no nice stock/barrel would have. Only thing really pushing me over budget is the CDI DBM.

How big of a deal is it to change out the barrels? Also, someone offered me an "edge" model rifle which does not come with the accutrigger. Since they are the same receivers, or close to, could I just buy one?

How big of a deal is it to change out the barrels? Also, someone offered me an "edge" model rifle which does not come with the accutrigger. Since they are the same receivers, or close to, could I just buy one?

Edge/Axis are Savages basic rifle, no bells or whistles. They're on sale at Fisherman's right now for $280

<broken link removed>

(page 2)

do not buy the edge/axis, they do not use the same barrel nut and you cannot change barrels as easily.

if you want to buy a new barrel for it, but a stevens from dicks sporting goods for 359 dollars. then buy a new barrel, and add the accutrigger or rifle basix( 2lb- 3 oz) trigger for 149

you might even be able to persuade me to sell my shilen 28" stainless steel bull select match barrel for a really good price, (only 83 rounds thorough it so far)

Savage 10's ROCK.
No complaints here about them, excellent tool.

Though currently (next project) I'm looking at a Savage 12 LRP in .260 or 6.5 creedmoor - both have higher BC bullets avail, better (flatter) trajectories, less recoil, several hundred yards more range before dropping subsonic (in comparison with .308).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top