Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which Savage should I get?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jdogg, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jdogg

jdogg the always depressing Salem Active Member

I have narrowed my search down to a Savage in .308 and unless an amazing deal comes along, I shall not be talked out of it. Dont even try. I have heard great things about them, especially the 10 and 110 series. Which one of the series should I pick up? Price is important, but not the most important thing. I want an accurate, longer range shooter. Thanks, jd

2. Sportsman

Sportsman Clackamas County, Or Member

Pretty sure the difference between 10 and 110 series is either short or long action. .308 being short.
    I just purchased a Savage 111, Hunter Series, in 30-06 and couldn't be happier. It's everything I had hoped for and accurate right out of the box as promised.
    I haven't adjusted my accutrigger but it was light and crisp from the factory. I'd recommend making sure yours had one. I don't think you'll be dissapointed going with Savage...

3. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Model 10 isn't only 308. Savage 1X models are short action, 1XX are long action. Look for a newer gun with accutrigger. Beyond that only difference in Savage receivers is finish and barrel. 10/110 usually heavier barrel more "tactical" while other hunting oriented. Depending on what you want Cabela's has had some nice deals on package guns. I scoured pawn shops and picked up a 110 in 7mm, pulled barrel and swapped with an ER Shaw threaded 308 barrel and dropping in a Choate stock- all for less then a new gun with no nice stock/barrel would have. Only thing really pushing me over budget is the CDI DBM.

4. jdogg

jdogg the always depressing Salem Active Member

How big of a deal is it to change out the barrels? Also, someone offered me an "edge" model rifle which does not come with the accutrigger. Since they are the same receivers, or close to, could I just buy one?

5. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

The edge is not the same gun as a 10/110, different guns.

Barrel swaps are rather easy w/ barrel wrench and go/nogo gauges.

6. Sportsman

Sportsman Clackamas County, Or Member

Edge/Axis are Savages basic rifle, no bells or whistles. They're on sale at Fisherman's right now for $280

Fisherman's Marine & Outdoor :: 2011-Hunt

(page 2)

7. chowser2

chowser2 seaside Member

do not buy the edge/axis, they do not use the same barrel nut and you cannot change barrels as easily.

if you want to buy a new barrel for it, but a stevens from dicks sporting goods for 359 dollars. then buy a new barrel, and add the accutrigger or rifle basix( 2lb- 3 oz) trigger for 149

8. chowser2

chowser2 seaside Member

you might even be able to persuade me to sell my shilen 28" stainless steel bull select match barrel for a really good price, (only 83 rounds thorough it so far)

9. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

Savage 10's ROCK.
    No complaints here about them, excellent tool.

Though currently (next project) I'm looking at a Savage 12 LRP in .260 or 6.5 creedmoor - both have higher BC bullets avail, better (flatter) trajectories, less recoil, several hundred yards more range before dropping subsonic (in comparison with .308).