JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My rifle is a marlin 336 chambered in 30-30, so that's what I'd have. Not a combat/assault rifle by any means but it works and ammo is readily available

I'd agree with with a 10/22.

I'd have to go with an AR 223/556 though. Ammo is more plentiful and AR parts are everywhere if the need ever arises. Won't be able to reach out as far as a 308, but for hunting, it would do just fine (in a SHTF scenario situation).

WTH? Automag(a) and done.

First ask your self how long SHTF will last and how long do you want to last if it is that bad. If I only had one rifle my choice would be an AK or .308 Scar, M14, AR you get the idea. It all about penetration when it comes to the end.

I took a survival course once. At lunch one instructor showed us his SHTF set up. In the trunk of his car: shot gun, case of whiskey, box of cigars. I think some condoms were invoked too, but memory is hazy.

Either an AK or AR in their standard calibers, as parts are easy to obtain and/or fabricate.
Would also consider a 12 gauge pump, as ammo is plentiful and varies greatly, as another member stated.

But of COURSE, Andy-- We would have expected no less and would have been disappointed had you chosen otherwise! Very nice looking rifle there.. Did you build it?

Thank you ,
While I have built or re-built a few guns...this one I did not build.
It was made by Loren "Doc" Brown...in 1997...I bought new then and have shot it almost exclusively since then.
It has a 36 inch .54 Orion Barrel with a 1-72 twist...
A Ron Long Lock...
And a hand made walnut stock , made from a local tree that was struck by lightning...
Below is a picture of Doc....
Andy
Doc Brown with medal.jpg

Either an AK or AR in their standard calibers, as parts are easy to obtain and/or fabricate.
Would also consider a 12 gauge pump, as ammo is plentiful and varies greatly, as another member stated.
Your choice of the AK is a good one, using the original ammo.. a choice I would make as well- BUT FOR the long term (or even immediate) availability of spare mags and com-bloc ammo. It all has to be imported... I do like the AK a lot and it wouldnt be easy leaving mine behind..
I'd pack an FAL or H&K 91 if they and their ammo werent so heavy for an old geezer to hump... now if we were holed up in place or nearby, no problem..
The 12 ga or even a 20 gauge pump has a lot going for it- ammo availability, ease of use, and various roles depending on ammo type and barrel.. their downfall is limited range, limited ammo on board, slowness to reload, and weight of the ammo itself. I got pretty good qualifying with both buck and slugs even without rifle sights while I was a patrol officer at a large rural mtn park. Since we were given some leeway, I had an 870 set up with tritium sights for night work. when I retired the shotties I had provided followed me home and one sits at my bedside...
::::sigh:::: so many guns, so little time!

Last Edited:
I'm always curious about finding ammo post SHTF. What store won't already be picked over? Whose stash will you find? Are you going to be a raider?
I just want to know where all the easy to find ammo I keep seeing mentioned is going to be.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top