JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Way too many variables, so honestly can't say as to which "one".

However, I will mention this to the OP:

Don't "plan" for attaining anything "after" some calamitous event. Have the necessities & more importantly, the mindset, of what you have is what you have. Work off of that.

Nothing wrong with the thought process of trade & barter, mind. Just that planning to do so for something you NEED is asking for hardship. IMO.

A few thoughts on the bugging out premise
  • If you are bugging out, do you know to where you are bugging out?
  • If your destination is "the woods" where you will "live off the land" you should try this out for a week or two this winter.
  • If you plan on driving do you have a plan for washed out bridges, blocked roads, road blocks and highwaymen? Have at east three routes that especially take bridges into consideration. Make practice runs.
  • What if your truck breaks down? Do you have packs already set if you need to hoof it? Note: these should be the last things you load so you can access them quickly and not have to dig through the rest of your stuff. You do have really good well broken in boots, right?
  • Consider a plan that uses two vehicles so you have mobility in case one breaks down. Also one can cover the other through a dicey area. Bicycles are a great resource.
  • When is the last time you used a map and compass?
  • When you get to your destination will you be expected and welcome? Consider advance agreements with relatives and CLOSE friends. You might be their bug out destination and not the other way around.
  • What if your destination is gone when you get there?
  • What is your communications plan? Hint - your cell phone and the Internet is not it.
  • Do you already have provisions there? Guns and ammo?
  • What skills do you bring?
  • How else will you contribute?

Last Edited:
Put me on the shotgun camp. A pump shotgun with 26" Mod barrel. My reasoning is we live in the Pacific flyway. Texas has hogs, we don't. We have geese and ducks. Deer and elk will be decimated (I read somewhere game was decimated during the depression era.) I can imagine every Joe, who never hunted before but owns an AR, will be all be out wandering the woods shooting at anything that moves.

Also, even if the waterfowl becomes scarce, there's domestic birds. They may not taste good but protein is protein.

That's what the flint locks are for.
Got a few of those...this is the one I would use if the S hit the fan...
Its a original , but still very shootable 20 gauge flintlock fowler...I have gotten grouse with this and deer as well.
Andy
DSC06557.jpg

House is paid for so I'm bugging in. My chances for survival are much greater that way.
Keeping my AR's M1A's and 22s
Win or die!!

Andy is secretly McGuiver. Kidding, very neato.

Most elucidating. I am reminded of the lyrical prose of the contemporary poet, Ice Cube:

"AK-47 is the tool​
Don't make me act the motherf*ckin fool​
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe"​
I do not know you, but I am surprised you know of Ice Cube!!!!

2 x AR15s because two is one and one is none... (Plus my wife needs one) With drop in 22lr kit for plinking and smaller game.

Parts are readily available, cheap, common, and more likely to be laying around left over if the military has to do something.

Plus my wife would be really unhappy if I made her give up her rifle, she spent a lot of time and money on those pink accents.

10/22 or my bolt Ruger American that's a single hole shooter. Suppressors in tow.

Last Edited:
View attachment 633963
My .54 caliber Hawken Rifle.
Its the rifle I shoot the best with....So if I gotta make that shot count...this is the rifle I go to.
Andy

Andy, I see the skinning knife. Good.

But, I must say I'm also aghast and quite concerned about your mental state. No tomahawk?!

This oversight needs to be corrected, and expeditiously, in keeping with your part of the Robert Rogers lineage...

Well I only have the 300 win mag and a single shot 45-70 so if I got to grab and go it will be with the 300 Winnie and 100 rounds of ammo I have for it. Not asked but I'd want to have the 41 Mag on my hip and my Cold Steel Tanto on my off hand side.

I'm an in-bugger also. These days I have no place else to go really; the alternative properties have been divested.

That said, as a primary, I've got my PSA AR set up now pretty much the way I want. Secondary is a heavy barrel bolt action .308 target rifle and an old Winchester 69 .22LR.

Although I must also admit that reaching for my Garand would be tremendously tempting...

My SHTF battery is shaping up nicely, thanks in large part to NWFA classifieds and several fine members I've had the pleasure to deal with.

Time to get in some long neglected practice.

Last Edited:
Ditto "bug in." Survival rate in a "Mad Max" bug out scenario eating rodents and MREs and WROL would be very low.

But if I must "bug out," it's hard to say. I would assume roads are impassible, and fuel is depleted regardless. So it's on foot. That would make light and quiet very important. So probably AR15 in 556, supplemented with Glock in 40 with 9mm barrel and mags for both. I doubt anyone in such a situation has much of a honest survival rate. Starvation, dehydration, exposure, medical issues alone would likely kill huge % of people. Then the unchecked violence another massive %. A fantasy to believe you'd survive long, really. Also a fantasy to believe you'd "forage" ammo. It'll be hoarded or gone. Survival is a year tops absent rapid restoration of trade and law and order.

Bug in with adequate preps, ability to make food and get clean water, and have some semblance of defense and such and a good community for trade and division of labor and I think you'd up your odds radically.

Andy, I see the skinning knife. Good.

But, I must say I'm also aghast and quite concerned about your mental state. No tomahawk?!

This oversight needs to be corrected, and expeditiously, in keeping with your part of the Robert Rogers lineage...

So very true...
I have owned several tomahawks but ended up giving them away....I like 'em and they work well for light chopping , the quartering of game and are fun to throw.
I'll get another one or three someday...:D

Here is my camp axe its a Hudson's Bay Pattern and the axe head dates from the 1920's , the handle is new made...
A made by me Osage Orange War club ...
And a original Pipe Tomahawk...the head is circa 1860 or 1870...the shaft is a reconstruction
Andy
DSC06777.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews