JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems like most people that buy a gun get an itch...to buy more guns. Eventually we all have multiple.

But, for the sake of argument, let's assume a fairly bad SHTF scenario:
- Economic collapse a-la Great Depression
- You're out of work and about to be homeless
- You're not alone and have others to care for
- What you have with you needs to fit in the back of a pickup
- You need to plan for not having the cash to buy gas anymore (no mobility / extremely limited mobility)

You've already sold off most of the gun collection for the cash for necessities. But, which rifle(s) do you keep?

For me, I don't have the luxury of choice right now. So, it'd be the 10/22 that I've got built up and the precision .308 that's in the works, assuming I get it finished before the above.

Reasons are simple: I can pack thousands of rounds of .22lr in a small space. The .308 would be for hunting, though I don't currently hunt and have no illusions of suddenly being good at it. But, if you don't have the weapon, that makes things just that much harder. Likewise, ammo is aplenty for the .308 meaning I can get it now, stock some, and maybe even trade for it after the SHTF. And a final point, my wife handles both calibers with ease - so we are both very capable.

I'm curious what your choices are and why you would pick them?

I'd agree with with a 10/22.

I'd have to go with an AR 223/556 though. Ammo is more plentiful and AR parts are everywhere if the need ever arises. Won't be able to reach out as far as a 308, but for hunting, it would do just fine (in a SHTF scenario situation).

Since we are rural, rather than urban, off the top of my head the rifle in our line-up I've dubbed "Space Cowboy" (suppressed Marlin 1894):

spacecowboy1-jpg-jpg-jpg.623751

Why?

• Runs on readily available and reasonably economical .38 Special / .357 Magnum.
  • Rock solid reliable; literally, never have had a malfunction of any kind.
  • Minimal maintenance requirements.
  • No need for detachable magazines.
  • Accurate and has decent sights.
  • Good enough caliber for some larger game, but also can be loaded lighter, as need be.
  • Light and handy; both adults in our household can and do shoot it effectively.
  • Nine rounds of .357 Magnum on tap can be used for defense.
  • Stainless steel and polymer construction hold up in inclement weather.
  • Spare parts to keep on hand would be minimal and inexpensive.
  • With the can in place, and .38 Special loads, it is very quiet and could be used without scaring away animals, or attracting attention from two-legged varmints.

I built a scout type rifle out of my M1A socom16. If I only had one rifle in a shtf situation, that would be it. It isn't my favorite rifle but it is the most adaptable.
I've been playing around with it doing the same drills I do with my ar15 and am almost as good out to say 150 yards or so but am much better at distance with the scout scope on it. It isn't as accurate as the AR's and the bullet drops like Antifa at long ranges but it still has punch if you know your charts.

If I was limited to only 1, I would probably take the centerfire rifle I had the most ammo on hand for. Rifles with battery operated sights would be left out. Backup irons available might come in handy as well.

10/22 and I'll mirror what the OP stated. The other would be my AR15 as it's easy to field repair them (easy to pack parts too), ammo is readily accessible and mine's set up for distance or close-in defense.

Since we are rural, rather than urban, off the top of my head the rifle in our line-up I've dubbed "Space Cowboy" (suppressed Marlin 1894):

Why?

• Runs on readily available and reasonably economical .38 Special / .357 Magnum.
  • Good enough caliber for some larger game, but also can be loaded lighter, as need be.
  • Light and handy; both adults in our household can and do shoot it effectively.
  • With the can in place, and .38 Special loads, it is very quiet and could be used without scaring away animals, or attracting attention from two-legged varmints.
Cowboy Up!!!

Lol. @CountryGent beat me to my choice.

That or a pump action 12 gauge.

I really like the idea of not having to worry about magazines in the end of days.

A 10/22 or integral 10/22 would be a fine choice too. You can pack 6-8 times the ammo in the same space as something else.

2020 is the year I'm going to get my integral 10/22 on.

An AR, that's what I own most of, train with most often, most of my ammo is 5.56, it is light weight, breaks down into a compact package and I have enough parts to rebuild it for ten of my lifetimes (assuming I'm not dead in the first ten minutes).

My ar15 due to having the most practice. but really, any thing running nato cartridges. Specifically because, if that scenario happened...those blue helmets could show up, giving more ammo and parts to my use.

Yup, 10/22 and AR platform, with perhaps a couple of uppers, with at least one in .223/5.56...

But we don't have to worry about such a collapse, the government will take care of us and just print more money to make everything better :s0140:

SHTF has me bugging in and not out. Every single firearm I own is SHTF worthy and has more ammo st aside for it than I will use.

If I'm bugging out on foot, it's an AR and a 9mm Shield.

The AR:
  1. reasonably lightweight
  2. field maintenance is easy
  3. NATO cartridge
  4. Effective to 400-600 yards
The Shield
  1. compact and light
  2. NATO cartridge
  3. only really need it for when I'm maintaining the AR or as an emergency backup

The number of times I've thought about this topic or seen it discussed is staggering.

With that said, I'm unsure of what I'd choose, if it could be only one. OP cheated a bit with two ;) but I get the idea. I like the idea of the 10/22, but might consider it's bolt action cousin as well, the Ruger American Rimfire. Takes 10/22 mags, is super accurate, hardly a sound with a suppressor shooting CCI quiets, and mine is stainless and polymer so fairly weather resistant. I had it modified to run tech sights so no optic to get in the way or batteries to die.

Alternatively, I'd be hard pressed to choose between a 10.5" AR pistol (compact AR feature set) and the Marlin 1894CSBL in 357 (for the reasons mentioned above, except mines not threaded). Honorable mention for the Winchester 9422 for magless 22lr.

The situation proposed wouldn't be fun, but it is an interesting mental exercise to consider it.

Why?

I like your style. I'm in the market for a pistol caliber lever action, as it were. Still torn between .357 and .45LC though.

SHTF has me bugging in and not out.

This!!

If it all goes down I'm staying home you can come and get em!!!

If the worst case does happen and I do have to leave I'm taking everything out of my safe and taking it with me. An AR and pistol for everyone in the truck, plenty of ammo and the rest will be locked in the back!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top