JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What rifle, besides Tikka, would you pick?

• Winchester model 70

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Remington 700

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Savage: Any savage

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Bergara

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Kimber montana

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Ruger m77

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Ruger American

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Sako

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Lets have a little poll here. This is in regards to picking a good accurate rifle. Many seem to think Tikka is the only accurate rifle made these days. But.....what if you don't want a Tikka? What rifle would you choose? If you guys can think of a better option or one I left out, let me know. I'm all ears and curious as to what you would pick and why. Thanks for your time..

Last Edited:
I am Savage biased, to be frank. I have like a half dozen of them, maybe a few more than that...I lost count; I try to avoid looking at their barrel nuts...lol.

On the other hand, of the 2 Ruger Americans I have fired straight out of the box (none of them mine), both held less than 1" 4-round groups at 100 yards after zero, though.

I voted Savage because that's what I picked in reality. I also got a Remington 700 some years later but the Savage came first. No experience with any others, so I couldn't with any honesty select them. Good enough reason for me

I'll be a Winchester M70 guy forever. People that talk about how "smooth" a T3 action is, must have never felt an M70. The T3 with its single column magazine feeds with little resistance, but it doesn't feel slick like an M70.
I can appreciate that. However, how do you feel about them being made in Portugal and redesigning the trigger. Keep in mind the old tried and true trigger was one of the best of the bunch. I always appreciate your input buddy.

I picked savage cuz thats what im going to build .. Ans all 3 savage rifles i have shoot pretty damn good ... The rem 700 i have one daybit wants to shoot a moa group at 100 yards amd the next day it wont hit paper ... Idk I killed a deer with it once sooo points for Gryffindor I guess ... I pick savage also cuz if your barrel gets shot out you can re barrel the gum in your grage with a vice and some go /no go gages

This thread cracks me up. So now everyone is racist against Tikka's :s0140:

Ya thats right I said it!!! LOL I'd go with the winchester model 70 or a savage. I would like to shoot a Sako some day and don't know much about the Bergara.

This is a really hard choice and very fun to think about. My last three rifles have been custom rem700 receiver builds and I am unimpressed with their machine work and mine a little ;).

Savage on the other hand seem to make accurate rifles at low cost especially on Black Friday at Cabela's. Which is fast approaching.

This thread cracks me up. So now everyone is racist against Tikka's :s0140:

Ya thats right I said it!!! LOL I'd go with the winchester model 70 or a savage. I would like to shoot a Sako some day and don't know much about the Bergara.

That's because some hate it when they don't have the biggest wiener than everyone else in the room... ;):D

Oh, and I'm totally impressed with @Joe13 's Savage, so I picked that choice! :s0155:

Last Edited:
201F5CD9-FC00-4B5B-8F83-6921F74D88C6.jpeg

So our poll choices are: Heavy, Clunky, Inaccurate, Cheap feeling, Overpriced, or some combination of these attributes?

If I have to pick, I guess I'd take the overpriced Sako, at least it is accurate.

When a guy who builds $4500 custom rifles from scratch says Tikka's are the best factory rifle out of the box for the money I'm not afraid to believe him;).

I love my Savage 10 (pic above) and it is a great shooter but I can't deny that the Tikka's I've shot are very nice rifles with no mods needed.

I can appreciate that. However, how do you feel about them being made in Portugal and redesigning the trigger. Keep in mind the old tried and true trigger was one of the best of the bunch. I always appreciate your input buddy.

You know, I'm not upset about the rifle being made elsewhere because some of the last ones made in New Haven werent that great. I have a couple Japchesters, an 1885 and 1886, and they are very well made. I view the safeties on these as being more of an issue than the MOA trigger because I could conceivably go back to an original trigger.

Do I wish I could get a quality American-made gun? Yes. I'll buy it when it starts happening again.

I sold my plastic bolt rifles. Bought 1A with pretty wood.

For accurate cheap bolt rifles, Bergara is making waves. Plus, it's a Remington 700 clone (sorta). So after market stuff toys are easy to come by.

Ruger & Savage are also making accurate inexpensive rifles.

Remington used to be my first choice. No longer on top 5

Never owned a CRF rig. Winnies seem expensive for what they are. I know this is blasphemy to some.

Tikka may have a big chunk of positive attention right now. They have earned it imo. Wife has 2 in the safe right now. Both shoot 1/2" or better. I dislike them as a whole. But understand they offer value relative to the performance. I dislike the stocks a lot. Magazine reminds me of cheap childs toy. But they work. Add in a 9 dollar spring, and you have a 1 pound trigger on a rifle that you can buy used for 450-600 dollars. Uglu but functional.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top