JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have spent the last two evenings priming 350 rounds of 38 special and have about that many more to go...followed by equal numbers of 45 acp and 357 mago_O... I am reloading on a single stage, and have historically shot more rifle than pistol calibers, but I recently picked up a lever action 357 mag rifle that is more fun than being the guy in control of the hose at a wet tee shirt contest.

I have decided to make the leap to a progressive, but cost isn't my top decision maker. My decision points in order of importance are:

Reliability
Ease of use
Versatility (rifle and pistol)
Cost
Factory support
Optional add ons

I have identified the following presses as possible contenders.... How would you rate them and am I missing a contender?

Dillon XL650
Dillon RL550B
Hornady LNL

Thanks for your help!

For me I started with an xl650 and would do it again. I tried the LNL and 550 as well before buying and LNL was too finicky and I didn't like manual index on the 550. I would definitely buy the 550 over the LNL though.

The 650 is great even if you don't get the case feeder, which you can always add later. Just run the press ten or so cycles then add more brass to the tube. .38 and .357 are the same conversion and you can use the same does and toolhead, you'll just have to reset the dies. For .45 you'll need a different conversion, toolhead, reset the powder measure(or buy a quick change and your .45 will have its own powder measure) and you have to swap the primer assembly over to large primer which takes about 10 minutes. You can buy a seperate primer setup but I load nine small primer rounds on my 650 and three large and won't spend the money on a seperate primer assembly.

Dillons Support will knock your socks off. Absolutely best in the industry.

On eBay there is a seller called Pioletti Defense I bought my 1050 from. They sell new Dillon stuff and prices are abbot better than straight from Dillon after shipping. They have some packages with all the bells and whistles for great deals as well.

RCBS
PRO 2000 AUTO INDEX ,will also transform to a manual index and back to auto index .... love mine.

Has the safest priming system out there. And full support with parts .

Will say discontinued but sportsman's has them on the shelves. Saw them at the albany stores. And bought mine at the salem store.

I have spent the last two evenings priming 350 rounds of 38 special and have about that many more to go...followed by equal numbers of 45 acp and 357 mago_O...

Are you using a hand primer? You should be able to do 350 in 30 minutes or less.

I think priming is one of the biggest problems on any press.

I have a LnL and find it simple & easy. To me, simple means checking it every time I change calibers. I would do this even on a Dillon. If you think about it, it doesn't take much to be 4 mils out of spec, which is the difference between go/no-go on chambers.
I have had my problems, of my own creation, but the press works well for me.
I only use my progressive for pistol, 5.56, and 6.8.

If budget isn't the greatest concern, go Dillon. I have read great user reviews on them.

Lol.., you would think so, right? As I keep having birthdays, I have noticed that I don't have the same hand strength I used to and half the time need both hands for the primer to be fully seated. That slows the process considerably :oops:
Ah, I hear you. Well don't do that! lol.
I heard the new Lee bench primer works great and costs one gubbin.

RCBS
PRO 2000 AUTO INDEX ,will also transform to a manual index and back to auto index .... love mine.

Has the safest priming system out there. And full support with parts .

Will say discontinued but sportsman's has them on the shelves. Saw them at the albany stores. And bought mine at the salem store.

I love the green team, and my bench is mostly green. I read some disturbing reviews /complaints on the RCBS press regarding the primer system having parts break repetitively which is why I didn't include it on my list.

Thank you everyone. Sosss .... if this Old Coot were to start again loading .30 Carbine and start fresh hand loading 7.62 x 51, .45 acp and 9 mm, what nice kinda fast press would I like best? Been close to 50 years since I hand loaded. Would be starting out with nothing at all. :)

I love the green team, and my bench is mostly green. I read some disturbing reviews /complaints on the RCBS press regarding the primer system having parts break repetitively which is why I didn't include it on my list.

As with any progressive just keeping them clean is half the issue.

I did the learning curve with the APS system and it was a piece of cake afterwards on my PIGGYBACK 3.

added the pro 2000 and the only problem was a screw that came loose from the factory and messed will my priming feed position.

I adjusted it and loctited the set screw and that's been thousands of rounds ago. No other issues.

And as with any press there are a ton of DYI mods a person can do.
From a sensor to remind you to add a primer strip, or locking out the auto advance of the the primer strip.
And you can expand and dump powder in same staion as a dillon and that gains you a added station
For case or bullet feeder.

I love the fact that I can go back and forth between auto and manual indexing..... try that with a 650 dillon. In manual indexing it's just like a 550. Then I can go back to auto indexing pretty quickly.

I have a rocker chucker, and a another with the Piggy Back 3 mounted to it and the Pro 2000.

All set up on inline fab QD mounting plates . Saves bench space for other gun projects.

Good luck with what ever you end up with.
Be safe and have fun!

I'm a fan of the RL 550B because I prefer the manual indexing - some,but not all of my loads are match grade and I load rifle as well as pistol. When I upgraded it to the latest spec a few years ago (bought it in the 1980's), Dillon threw in several parts for free and told me how to save money on the other parts. That's customer service above and beyond on a 30 year old machine (which is every bit as good as new).

BTW - anybody buying Dillon can get free shipping if they order through Curt's on McLoughtlin in Milwaukie, you just have to pick it up there. Yet another reason I'm also a Curt's fan.

I have probably loaded 50,000 rounds on my 650 and you would be hard pressed to find a better press. The hornadey is only cheaper if you never intended on adding a case feeder.
I have never been a fan of the 550 as the lack of auto index is the easiest way to get a double charge I have considered getting one to use as a dedicated case prep press but would never use one to load ammo on.

I have a Dillon 550 and have been very happy with it. I bought mine from Brian Enos but apparently he is not selling Dillon anymore. I think he still has some info on his site about which press is right for you though. Very helpful info.

Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews for all presses
Wow, that was super helpful. I was leaning towards the 650, but after reading the Brian Enos link, I am now thinking the 550B may be a better fit. Thanks!

I have probably loaded 50,000 rounds on my 650 and you would be hard pressed to find a better press. The hornadey is only cheaper if you never intended on adding a case feeder.
I have never been a fan of the 550 as the lack of auto index is the easiest way to get a double charge I have considered getting one to use as a dedicated case prep press but would never use one to load ammo on.

Ach... see this is why I keep switching on which way go faster than Hillary devising excuses for why Benghazi went down....

GREAT company and products and also made right here in Oregon. I have the mounting brackets for my RL 550B, but plan to switch to that system.

Makes for FAST change overs!
I even put my dillion swager on a plate. Used their case alignment insert hooked up a spring for auto ejection and I can fly through that operation.

I bought a rock chucked first the I got the L&L. Way too finicky for me. Didn't much like anything about it. Always screwing with it
Then I was in blue heaven :D
I think the 650 Dillon is the best thing since the 1911 ( or glock if that's your thing:confused:)
Everything just seems to flow. You get the case feed and a hand full of boolits and wait for the primer alarm(10-15 mins).
And more primers and repeat.
I got the large and small primer feeds so I didn't have to take those apart and the large and small powder feeds for the same reason
Only thing it should come with that it doesn't is a bucket for your rounds instead of that little 300 rounds tray,lol
Man if you could find a couple guys that have these presses to try out it would be the berries

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top