JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best to stick with 9mm or 5.56/.223

You want ammo you can scavenge easily, and either option is the most likely you will encounter.

And rifle caliber pistols are just silly. Unless you have the hearing protection to go with it, stick with rifle size barrel options, they are still loud, but not destroy your hearing like a under 10" barrel shooting a rifle caliber.

A photography comment/quote I once read: The best camera is the one you have with you.

So...

What gun are you keeping with you? Can you consistently get rounds on target with that gun? Are you proficient with that gun in case of a problem (e.g. 'stovepipe' due to a failure to eject FTE)?

Mental masturbation

Way to broad of a subject to address all the likely and unlikely scenarios.

Just have some stuff and know how to use it. And if you ever need it, pick something for the specific application at that time.

As I understand the OPs question, it is which of those two guns he presented is better for SHTF. Not which gun would u use for SHTF, not which gun is best for SHTF out of all the guns out there. But maybe I read it wrong?

As I understand the OPs question, it is which of those two guns he presented is better for SHTF. Not which gun would u use for SHTF. But maybe I read it wrong.

SHTF is pretty broad and means different things to everyone.

For example, if there was no rule of law, I wouldn't be worried about NFA laws where if it was a localized natural disaster, I would.

I don't see anything wrong with a 30-30. Hits hard enough to stop anything/anyone you point at. It will depend upon how well you can use the firearm.

On a hunting trip, way back when, I was in truck behind two others. Suddenly, the lead jeep stopped as a herd of deer flashed across the road. Three shots, three deer down; in as many seconds. We did have lax laws then but we never hunted with that individual again.

I hate the common caliber/matching caliber idea, sharing a pistols ammo with a rifle, is very counter productive, and was not a common practice in the old west like folks seem to think!
We all know pistols suck for self defence, but often we are forced to rely on that as carrying a rifle is not an option. Why saddle your self with a so so chambering, SHTF and I'm carrying a rifle with rifle ammo! Could be an AR, could be 1895 Winchester, could be an FAL, didn't really matter, as long as it's a rifle!
For pistol, it's a 10 mm, and back up is a .44 mag revolver! I WANT the massive stopping power and I want the most power I can get in a hand gun! Optics of carry be damned, I want to live, so I choose the fighting tools I know can get the job done!

I like the idea of the M-1 Carbine, but would need hand loads to get the most out of it! In many minds, that little carbine is perfection, and with the right ammo, a damn fine choice!

I hate the common caliber/matching caliber idea, sharing a pistols ammo with a rifle, is very counter productive, and was not a common practice in the old west like folks seem to think!
We all know pistols suck for self defence, but often we are forced to rely on that as carrying a rifle is not an option. Why saddle your self with a so so chambering, SHTF and I'm carrying a rifle with rifle ammo! Could be an AR, could be 1895 Winchester, could be an FAL, didn't really matter, as long as it's a rifle!
For pistol, it's a 10 mm, and back up is a .44 mag revolver! I WANT the massive stopping power and I want the most power I can get in a hand gun! Optics of carry be damned, I want to live, so I choose the fighting tools I know can get the job done!

I like the idea of the M-1 Carbine, but would need hand loads to get the most out of it! In many minds, that little carbine is perfection, and with the right ammo, a damn fine choice!
100% This...

Mental masturbation

Way to broad of a subject to address all the likely and unlikely scenarios.

Just have some stuff and know how to use it. And if you ever need it, pick something for the specific application at that time.

Exactly. Look at the few shootings that have happened at these riots. After one guy cooks off a round, people are getting out of the way. Hardly ever does anyone start returning fire. Squads aren't forming up and firing and maneuvering. Getting outflanked and losing fire superiority hasn't happened.

I just carry my regular gun. Sometimes an extra magazine, mostly because of the outside chance of a malfunction.

I am more likely to take a rifle or shotgun in the woods than out in public. Mostly because something edible may present an opportunity.

Like others have mentioned, SHTF covers a wide variety of situations and can vary person to person, and what works for one may or may not work for another.

To keep things simple, I maintain that for myself, best practice is a Glock 17 carried concealed and anything shoulder fired is chambered in a rifle round. I don't need my AR pistol or SBR to share Glock mags with my handgun, which is something that I think the usefulness of is overblown in many cases. You're trading ballistic capability for the perceived benefit of only carrying one type of mag that will work in both. Pistol rounds leave a lot to be desired. Rifle rounds are most often fight stoppers.

The only time I really take my AR is when I'm going someplace rural, which I do often. I've spent a lot of time in the woods over the years, and the shady characters that I've encountered in places with no cell service is much higher than any urban environment. I have taken my AR pistol on a few occasions to the city, for various reasons, but it's not a standard practice for me. Right now, I'm avoiding urban areas as much as possible.

It would depend on just what S hit the fan....

If all I wanted to do was eat , have a rifle that I could count on to make that hit when needed , and for defense against a small group of individuals ....then I would pick my .54 Hawken Rifle copy.

I know this rifle inside and out , so to speak...it has kept me fed , won more than a few rifle matches for me and I know a few tricks to reload it quickly.

Like most things firearm related...what one chooses is very personal .
Their choice often reflects their likes in firearms and shooting style.

Also as pointed out by Camelfilter SHTF may occur when you do not have "your primary arm" for SHTF or even firearm of choice.
No need to curl up and wait to die , because SHTF caught you without your favorite firearm....
The best thing for you when SHTF happens...is to be adaptable to moment....
'Cause SHTF will play by its own rules , not yours.
Andy

Plus he can shoot the ramrod at assailants like in "Last of the Mohicans" - kidding, Andy had already thoroughly explained that this would be one of the last things a person would want to do with a black powder rifle.

@Ura-Ki, Buffalo Bore makes some pretty bodacious .30 Carbine ammo.
I personally like the M1 carbine idea. Good sized and handy and a bit better than a straight pistol round.

As far as the OP's two choices I'd go with the AR for the firepower. A bit larger maybe, but a whole bunch of don't mess with me when it counts.
So psychologically a bit bigger may be better in this case, and it's infamous evil appearance might put flight to those less staunch antifruities or whatever they are.

I think the potential unrest you may face in a college town will mostly be young azzhats egged on by agitators.
The sight of the weapon should encourage most to grant you a "safe space". ;)

Personal preferences abound, I find myself, in addition to the daily carry, enamored with a 11.5 .223 pistol with coupled 30's (choice of optic entirely up to you) more than anything else when it comes to picking up an accessory for going on trips for the weekend, etc. If I felt the need ever arose to utilize the benefit of having such, I wouldn't be that worried about concealing it as I would have far more pressing matters. My most powerful weapon is my brain though, so I use it regularly to plan and avoid roaming hordes of idiots inclined to violence and property destruction. I don't consider it a worthwhile use of my time to potentially get involved in almost entirely avoidable legal hassles.

whatever you think you'll be able to pick up off the ground off of eliminated threats. this is exactly why i just built a 5.56 pistol as i highly doubt there will be as much 300blk layin around. 9mm is a great option too. works for both a PCC and sidearm

These conversations are always interesting!

However I've come to the resolve that the only tools(s) that matter, are the ones we have at hand. When we NEED them.

Waxing hypotheticals are fantastic, in the sense that if I have what fits whichever hypothetical AT HAND, whenever whichever hypothetical occurs.

So, in short, I have most all of our bases covered. Concealed carries, open carries, PDW's, mid ranges & long range tools. For us. And we practice with ALL of them.

To simply pick one, as "the best", and solely train with those tools would (IMO) be doing us a grave disservice. Should something untoward arise.

One never knows what the future may hold, nor what circumstance you'd be in.

To outright eliminate any tool because of what you THINK might happen, or be of use, is a bad idea.

Playing keyboard commando:

A heavy distance gas gun could certainly be of benefit in an "Urban" environ. Off the top of my head, overwatch, sight-lines down streets/avenues, less barrier blind etc etc.

Sure, a PDW/mid range would also be of use. Perhaps of more use in most "Urban" situations, but not all. They certainly wouldn't let a group or individual "own" the area as much as heavy/distance guns would.

Now if you foresee yourselves clearing buildings and such "routinely" (I don't, but again one never knows), then sure, heavy/distance/larger normally would get trumped by smaller/lighter tools.

So, in short, I honestly don't have a single best choice which would cover a hypothetical. It's kind of like being in true DGU situation, with a pocket pistol as the tool. I'd wager most folks would have "wished" they had had something else that day. But they used the tool they had...
*****************^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^^^**************

Observing the situation around Sarajevo a few years ago, I was impressed by two things: The use of scoped hunting rifles fired from cover- often scoped/mildly customised Mausers were ubiquitous; and the Zastava factory-scoped Yugo AK's. (Wish I had one of those!)... either/or, and backed up by a BHP or a wonder-nine, what could go wrong? A spotter/back-up would be best....

My own choice would be an m4- these days for close-in survival situations. And only if ROL had broken down. May we by the Grace of God never see such times!

Currently, Shockwave with buckshot in the daily driver. Going to add a SIG 229 in .40

The thinking being a shotgun with buckshot might be useful if surrounded by a crowd, with the handgun being a backup.

Thinking about switching to my get home guns - a PS90 and a Five Seven.

The thinking for these is light weight, compact, low recoil for the amount of firepower they provide - four to five mags for the rifle would give me 200-250 rounds, 4-5 mags for the pistol another 100 rounds. Total over 300 rounds. The PS90 could be somewhat concealed under a long bulky coat, or carried in a backpack.

Once home on the mountain, heavier firepower would be available if expecting or encountering trouble - the PS90/Five Seven would be used while outside doing chores, then fight to cover inside the house where heavier firepower is stored.

For me, I imagine my primary arm in a SHTF situation will be an old 10/22. It's primary purpose will be gathering food. It can take animals from squirrels to deer. It is quiet enough to hopefully not draw a lot of attention. I do not suspect that my primary goal will be defending my fortress from zombie hoards or invading foreign armies but if either of those scenarios present themselves I will pull out my second preferred firearm which is an AR15

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top