JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Glock 40 MOS 10mm and a Smith stainless .41 magnum. I'm pretty sure the Smith is a 587 but can't remember for sure and am away from home for a few days. I carry one of them in the field when I'm out, in a chest rig. I fish and spend a fair amount of time in the woods alone. My main concern is defense against the rare cougar or pissed off bear. I'm contemplating selling one of them, because I don't need both. A big consideration is resistance to damage if I fall in the water fishing. I'm interested in your thoughts for and against each. And for what it's worth, I am about to get back into reloading.

I'd take the .41 Magnum. Simple, robust and a bit more powerful- especially if you are reloading. If your main concern is critters the lack of capacity isn't likely to be an issue.

I have a 6" 657 Smith .41 I carry in the field. I love it. I use an El Paso Saddlery aviator style holster.

.41 has decent power and mine is wicked accurate. It is the only handgun I have ever shot a true 1" 25 yard group with.

What kind of bear?

I'd be comfortable with the 10mm for everything up to black bear...including pumas. If we're talking Grizzly's, Kodiaks or Polar bears, then screw pistols all together. I want a 45-70...or a tank.

Last Edited:
I would choose 41 Mag if power is the concern. Especially if you're a handloader the 41 is capable of making a lot of horsepower.
I love this cartridge.

But when I go out hiking or scouting, it's a 1911 in 45 because the flat profile of the gun works better with my backpack.

If I was truly concerned about cats or bears, I'd take a 20" 12 gauge with buck and slugs.

I'm a revolver guy myself, The 41 Mag can be loaded up or down considerably to find the best load for you.
You can carry a snake shot load in one cylinder and the rest the heaviest magnum loads and not worry if it will hang up the slide.
You also get to decide on bullet shape based on what they do to your target not on what will reliably operate the slide!
And there is a certain Cool Factor that is hard to get in a plastic bottom feeder. DR

I would choose 41 Mag if power is the concern. Especially if you're a handloader the 41 is capable of making a lot of horsepower.
I love this cartridge.

But when I go out hiking or scouting, it's a 1911 in 45 because the flat profile of the gun works better with my backpack.

If I was truly concerned about cats or bears, I'd take a 20" 12 gauge with buck and slugs.
The only thing is that for us in Washington we cannot have a loaded shotgun while backpacking etc. I agree with you about hand loading. Let's say that they don't want to hand load. Buffalo Bore 41 magnum 265gr LWN from a 4" barrel is going to be about 980 ft/lbs.
Compared to Buffalo Bore 10mm 220gr hclfn from the Glock 20 barrel is going to be about 625 ft/lbs. The thing is that if they need multiple shots on target quickly it has a higher likelihood that the Glock could be a better choice.
I just want to point out that the revolver is going to be about 19.25oz heavier and may make a difference in the decision.
Up to them to decide what they want.
I still say to keep both.

The only thing is that for us in Washington we cannot have a loaded shotgun while backpacking etc.

That is news to me. I believe you are well within your rights to pack a loaded shotgun while hiking. I would probably not have one in the pipe for safety reasons though.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR