JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Gentlemen!

I have been out of Upland Bird hunting for a while (27 yrs.) and found out last year that I'm not as good with my first shot as I used to be (or remembered I was) and certainly not as fast with my pump for a second shot. My wife says it has something to do with age?

I am looking for any information you are willing to share with respect to a used medium priced 12 gauge O&U.

I have read on other forums that the Browning Citori, Beretta 686 and the Winchester 101's may fit the bill?

Thanks, Tim

I only had one O/U shotgun, it was CZ canvasback (non-auto ejector), very reasonable price and it worked very well (no issue at all). I just didn't like over and under anymore (being lazy) :p

If you want auto ejector, CZ redhead deluxe has one.

All good choices. I have a 325 citori sporting, its a very fine shotgun and is my clays gun.

I had a 686. I sold it. The trigger was pretty heavy and the comb was too narrow making the gun painful to shoot.

I have a mid-60's vintage 12 gauge 101 with fixed chokes and its a very fine upland bird gun. Keep in mind that there are big differences between the old Japanese built ones like mine and the newer ones. I'm not well versed in the differences but I would recommend an older one without hesitation. The market seems to disfavor them so you should be able to get a nice one for a reasonable price. I love the gun.

My favorite however is a mid-60's superposed 20 gauge. It's a gun I have wanted since I was a child so when a good deal came my way I jumped on it and haven't regretted it for a second. I've never felt under gunned for upland birds and it is an absolute joy to carry and shoot.

The one that fits you, or buy one that does not fit properly and take it to a stock maker to have it fitted.

I have a Citori it fit me, I tried and tried the Beretta but it was just not right.

Take some of your hunting clothes into the gun shop and try the fit in light clothes, heavy clothes, also raingear.

Thanks for all your comments. I also agree with respect to FIT, if it doesn't, the most expensive gun won't hit too many birds.

Tim

I had an SKB I wish I'd not parted with. I think it was a fantastic gun for the money. There was one for sale here a while back, too.

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Gentlemen!

I have been out of Upland Bird hunting for a while (27 yrs.) and found out last year that I'm not as good with my first shot as I used to be (or remembered I was) and certainly not as fast with my pump for a second shot. My wife says it has something to do with age?

I am looking for any information you are willing to share with respect to a used medium priced 12 gauge O&U.

I have read on other forums that the Browning Citori, Beretta 686 and the Winchester 101's may fit the bill?

Thanks, Tim

There is no way you could make a mistake with any of those shotguns. I own a Winchester 101 Pigeon and the Citori and they are both fantastic guns. I am sure the Beretta 686 is a great gun, I own an Beretta Xtrema 2 and while it is an auto rather than an over under under, it is a quality firearm. Buy the best one you can afford and then have a professional gunsmith fit it to you.

Semper Fi

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews