JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I run an Aimpoint PRO w/Midwest Industries BUIS on my primary AR...

image.jpg

There was one (with the optional rubber cover) for $350 in the classifieds as of last night. ;)

Last Edited:
Go ahead and laugh, but I run a cheap UTG red dot on my AR. Holds zero, no parralalx and I hit a 3lb bucket of Tannerite at a bill standing. Flame away.

Go ahead and laugh, but I run a cheap UTG red dot on my AR. Holds zero, no parralalx and I hit a 3lb bucket of Tannerite at a bill standing. Flame away.

Those cheap red dots :eek: some work n some don't. I couldn't get mine on paper. Then I've seen others work great.

What type of guns are you using them on?

The one I got was just over $150 when I got it.

Which model of the Crossfire II 1-4x24mm did you get? Did you get it with the V Plex reticle, or the V Brite?

The cheaper V Plex model has been discontinued for some time now, and is no longer available for sale. The scope is now only available with the V Brite reticle that has an illuminated dot in the center, and typically sells for $249.

If you are using the older, discontinued V Plex reticle model, then it has another strike against it, as it has no illumination at all in the reticle. So it will be horrible to aim in dark environments.

Whether one is hunting, or shooting in self defense, sometimes your adversary is not out in the open in a well lit area. In those cases, having illumination in your reticle is a real Godsend.

If you plan to sbr I would say Aimpoint T1. If you plan to leave it stock length, I would buy a safe queen TA31F. I have both and you are welcome to try them out if you want.

Those cheap red dots :eek: some work n some don't. I couldn't get mine on paper. Then I've seen others work great.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a high dollar optic on my AR's. But as a working man with kids, I run what I can afford. And the UTG works for me. Just giving the not-so-popular opinion that you don't have to drop a half a grand minimum to get a decent optic that works.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a high dollar optic on my AR's. But as a working man with kids, I run what I can afford. And the UTG works for me. Just giving the not-so-popular opinion that you don't have to drop a half a grand minimum to get a decent optic that works.

It works till it doesn't, and you already know when that's gonna be: the worst time.

But if you are honest enough to recognize that and do it anyway, more power to you. I just can't abide dudes trying to rationalize crap like that, like it's not crap.

It works till it doesn't, and you already know when that's gonna be: the worst time.

But if you are honest enough to recognize that and do it anyway, more power to you. I just can't abide dudes trying to rationalize crap like that, like it's not crap.

So if I don't blow at least $500 on an optic then I'm rationalizing crap? OK. Sure. I suppose my Windham AR sucks too? Did I mention I have iron sights as backups? I guess I'll just keep rationalizing crap. Seems I'm good at it. I'm also good at rationalizing point of impact. ;)

So if I don't blow at least $500 on an optic then I'm rationalizing crap? OK. Sure. I suppose my Windham AR sucks too? Did I mention I have iron sights as backups? I guess I'll just keep rationalizing crap. Seems I'm good at it. I'm also good at rationalizing point of impact. ;)

You were the guy that said to "flame away," weren't you?

But I didn't say you were rationalizing crap - I said I can't abide when dudes do. Sounds like you're perfectly aware it's crap and are OK with that; as I said, more power to you.

Which model of the Crossfire II 1-4x24mm did you get? Did you get it with the V Plex reticle, or the V Brite?

The cheaper V Plex model has been discontinued for some time now, and is no longer available for sale. The scope is now only available with the V Brite reticle that has an illuminated dot in the center, and typically sells for $249.

If you are using the older, discontinued V Plex reticle model, then it has another strike against it, as it has no illumination at all in the reticle. So it will be horrible to aim in dark environments.

Whether one is hunting, or shooting in self defense, sometimes your adversary is not out in the open in a well lit area. In those cases, having illumination in your reticle is a real Godsend.

I got the old one then its not lit. That's a plus to me though . I don't like lit reticles, just more crap to go wrong. Better keep this one if they quit makin em. Mines' on a takedown 22 so its a plinker and works great for that.

I got the old one then its not lit. That's a plus to me though . I don't like lit reticles, just more crap to go wrong.

When one turns off the illumination power on the V Brite model, the reticle then looks no different than the reticle on your rifle. It is an extra feature, that your scope does not have. The scope hardly becomes useless if the battery fails. It then functions just like yours does.

Mines' on a takedown 22 so its a plinker and works great for that.

Well, the OP Joe said that his optics will be going on his only AR, and that he thus wanted good versatility. He also said that quality was more important to him than price. That is a much different application than a 22 plinker.

This is what the reticle of the Vortex Strike Eagle looks like. It is very similar to the reticle on my $1,200 Bushnell Elite Tactical. Only difference with mine is that the horseshoe around the reticle is continuous without any breaks in it, and it is thicker.

OPT-001105_6.jpg

When one turns off the illumination power on the V Brite model, the reticle then looks no different than the reticle on your rifle. It is an extra feature, that your scope does not have. The scope hardly becomes useless if the battery fails. It then functions just like yours does.

Well, the OP Joe said that his optics will be going on his only AR, and that he thus wanted good versatility. He also said that quality was more important to him than price. That is a much different application than a 22 plinker.

This is what the reticle of the Vortex Strike Eagle looks like. It is very similar to the reticle on my $1,200 Bushnell Elite Tactical. Only difference with mine is that the horseshoe around the reticle is continuous without any breaks in it, and it is thicker.

View attachment 252305

If ya cant get the Cross II anymore it doesn't matter.
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...24mm-v-plex-matte-149-99.203744/#post-1310028

Last Edited:
I don't think there is anything wrong with the T1. It's top quality and small and light. I have owned Aimpoints in the past. And there good.

But I don't like the bigger MOA single dot reticle. The tube construction. And the reflective lens. Or those coin batteries.

I like the AA batteries because there in my GPS, Radios, and other gear.
And I like the way EOtech fixed my never registered seven year old 512 with no cost to me. Except shipping to them. How dose aimpoint treat warranty issues? Honestly I don't know. But it could be no better than EOtech.

I also prefer the 1MOA dot in the larger circle. It's both faster and finer to me.
So I take the bad with the good. Don't we all compromise with what's important to us?
I don't think the Aimpoint or the EOtech is junk. I just prefer the EOtech. And part of that is there customer service. It's not often I am treated so well.

Well, it looks like Cabelas has some of the V Plex models available on close-out. Most places are showing them discontinued and unavailable.

At $149, that is a real good price if one can live without any illumination. As Cabelas points out on that page, they used to sell for $219.

Although I think that the $129 2-7x32mm Crossfire II V Plex is the more versatile model that is listed on that page. I like the 2-7x power range in scopes myself. They tend to be relatively compact and light in weight, with 7x really beating out 4x for long range shooting.

Here is a comparison photo of my two AR scopes. My Leupold VX R 2-7x33mm on the left, with my Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24mm, which was 2.3 times the cost of the Leupold, on the right. While you cannot tell it by this photo, the Leupold is far lighter, at only 12.7 oz, compared to 18.5 oz for the Bushnell.

The Bushnell is made in Japan, the Leupold in the USA. The Bushnell does have a slight edge in optical quality, as it is, after all, a $1,200 scope. But I find the Leupold's image to be very good too. I found the Leupold to be very noticeably superior to that of lower cost scopes that I looked at.

I can recommend both scopes. But the Leupold is the better value, for what you get for $520.

AR_Scopes.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads