JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking for opinions from people who have compared various optics, as I've never shot an Eotech, Aimpoint, etc. I don't have any specific 'plan' for this gun, and since it's my only AR right now versatility is important. Cost is definitely a factor, but quality is more important.

It's not just that batteries die but availability and corosian factors. Battery dies and pukes in the system it will fowl it up bad. Can't stock up on batteries because they will die and puke in their container so you have to have a redily available source of good batteries. Plus when you do lose that red dot you have no crosshairs to shoot with so you have to use the backup sites that most never use enough to be used to them.

Good clear optics will serve you for the life of the rifle or for as long as the state will let you keep it:eek::D:D

I took a class with Larry Vickers a few years ago in Bend. The guns there ran the gammet, as did the distance we ran the drills from. I started the class with an eotech, which was removed within an hour because it refused to hold zero. I shot the rest of the class with irons.

The guys who did consistently great at all the drills at all the distances were the guys with small variable power scopes. 1-4 power Leupolds, vortex, etc. they weren't quite as fast at point blank distance as the open sight guys or as fast at distance as the fixed 4x ACOG shooters, but their setups were the most versatile, hands down.

I would likely put a 1-4 power scope in a larue or adm qd mount.

I have Trijicon Reflex Sights on my AR rifles.
I like the light weight combined with easy both eyes open acquisition of the target, plus, no batteries.
The fiber optics make it very bright in the daylight.
The orange triangle reticule is my favorite over the round dot ones, and everyone that that's shot my suppressed SBR .300 Blackout commented on how accurate it was.
I buy them used when they pop up for sale and most of them came with a mount attached for around $200.00.
In your case with the Colt's gas block sight, you will have to determine if you want to co-witness the optics with the front sight, so the correct mount height is something to consider.

I'm looking for opinions from people who have compared various optics, as I've never shot an Eotech, Aimpoint, etc. I don't have any specific 'plan' for this gun, and since it's my only AR right now versatility is important. Cost is definitely a factor, but quality is more important.

My solution was to get one of the new Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R Riflescopes. I got the model with the FireDot LRV Duplex Illuminated Reticle.

Lots of good things going on for this scope. First off, it is only 12.7 oz, so it is lighter than many other AR variable scopes on the market. Power range is very versatile, with 2x being great for short range, and 7x giving you some decent power for shooting at longer ranges.

30mm tube with 75 MOA of adjustment available. Has 1/4 MOA adjustments too, not 1/2 or 1/3 MOA adjustments like many other AR scopes have. Nice eye relief too.

Has a real easy button on the side for turning the illumination on. 8 levels to choose from, and it actually has 3 different fine illuminated Firedots to give you bright clear holdover points for shooting long range. Has a great battery saving feature, as it will automatically turn off after 5 minutes of the rifle being still. But the moment that you then move the rifle again, it will automatically come back on. So the batteries really last forever.

And even in a worse case scenario if your batteries should die, you still have an excellent, clear reticle to work with.

And it has real bright, clear optics, just like you expect to get from Leupold. At around $500 it is not cheap, but it will not break the bank like many high end $1,000 + AR tactical scopes will either.

Anyway, I consider this scope to be very versatile. I think it can serve in either a self-defense or a hunting situation.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059271-REG/leupold_119409_2_7x33_vx_r_riflescope_firedot.html

1407440355000_1059271.jpg

If you want to spend more money and put a bigger and heavier scope on your rifle, you can get this same illuminated reticle in a 2-12x Leupold as well. And there is also a compact 1.25-4x version too.

But this 2-7x hit the sweet spot for me for price, performance, and versatility.

Last Edited:
One was on listed on eBay and the guy posted the ad to finish at 2:00 am back East and nobody was up but me to bid on it.
The rest were found on Craigslist or Armslist.

My votr goes to the Burris MTAC '1-4 to me it can be used as red dot, the reticle is still there if the battery dies anf you csn crank it up to four power. I have two, one on a 16" fal and the other on.my SR556. The best part is they dont break the bank.

One was on listed on eBay and the guy posted the ad to finish at 2:00 am back East and nobody was up but me to bid on it.
The rest were found on Craigslist or Armslist.

If one can find them used on Craigslist or Armslist, then that is a real good deal. One can save a lot of money by buying sights used. And reflex type sights like that don't wear out in any way at all.

If $500 for a Leupold is too much for your budget, then the best lower cost option in my opinion is the brand new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x 24mm that just started shipping earlier this summer. It sets a new price/performance standard at $70 less than the Burris MTAC, while offering some fantastic features, including a longer 1-6x zoom range

Here is its product info page:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle/overview

And more info at SWFA:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-6x24-Strike-Eagle-Rifle-Scope-P79101.aspx

It uses the same style of awesome reticle that is in the $1,200 Burris Elite Tactical:

10467802_963520923669285_761883571_n.jpg

11383297_841837989246031_107946641_n.jpg

[QUis therrTE="Lance Jacobs, post: 1308222, member: 37148"]If $500 for a Leupold is too much for your budget, then the best lower cost option in my opinion is the brand new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x 24mm that just started shipping earlier this summer. It sets a new price/performance standard at $70 less than the Burris MTAC, while offering some fantastic features, including a longer 1-6x zoom range

Here is its product info page:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle/overview

And more info at SWFA:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-6x24-Strike-Eagle-Rifle-Scope-P79101.aspx

It uses the same style of awesome reticle that is in the $1,200 Burris Elite Tactical:

View attachment 251771

View attachment 251772[/QUOTE]
So is there a permanent dot left when the battery dies? Or do lose your aiming point.

So is there a permanent dot left when the battery dies? Or do lose your aiming point.

The reticles on these AR scopes is etched into the glass, just like on a regular non-illuminated scope. So when the illumination is not turned on, you still have the reticle, and it looks like a typical scope. It just is not lit up bright red in color.

This scope has been shipping for just over a month now, so a number of people now have it. Here is a pretty good review that one owner did of the scope on YouTube. I've yet to see anyone that has this scope fail to rave about it.

I would have trouble buying this scope myself, as I personally hate buying products from Communist China. I have no problem with buying stuff from Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan, but not from the Communists.

I have two AR's with AR scopes on them myself. One has an American made Leupold VR-X that cost me $520, and the other one has a made in Japan Bushnell Elite Tactical that cost $1,200.

Last Edited:
My 6920 was so light! I almost didn't put any optic on it.

I finally went with an EOtech. Fast optic and it takes AA batteries. I just couldn't put a large optic on this gun. But that was more to do with the rifle weight than any optic. I just wanted small and light, light, light, light, light!

I'm pretty sure I can use most of what a 5.56 brings to the table in a 16'' gun with the zero magnification EOtech.

Last Edited:
The EOTECH AA model is hardly that light in weight. It weighs 11.1 oz without batteries. Add batteries, and you are up to 12.7 oz.

My Leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm weighs 12.7 oz. And my mount for it is only 3.2 oz.

One can get sights like the Leupold Deltapoint or the Vortex SPARC II that weigh dramatically less than an EOTECH.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top