JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Of all the Pro-Gun advocacy groups, which one would you join and why? A long, long ........ looong time ago I was an NRA member. I did not renew my membership because of all the "stuff" they sent me. However, I am thinking all that "stuff" might be worth suffering in my mailbox again to try and help preserve our gun rights.

Anyhow, I am looking for a place to join again.

Thanks,
Mike
Ikemay is pig Latin for Mike dontcha know?

I am a NRA life member and to be honest yes they do fill your mail box and also your email inbox:) I did give it up for a while then got the life membership as most all ranges require you to be a member to join. I may not believe in all things that they do but in the end I do think they help a little. Also the monthly mag is ok to read:D

Thanks for your thoughts spectra.

After some thought and research on this, I will probably re-join the NRA. Considering what we are fighting for, the extra "stuff" is not that big of a deal. And as a gun owner I do feel a responsibility to preserve our rights as gun owners.
Mike

Any advocacy, political or charitable organization is going to bombard you with stuff the minute you give them $5. At least the stuff I get from the NRA does have some value - particularly the ILA stuff. But getting some extra emails is a small price to pay to be able to support a group that actually has the power and connections to help protect our rights - not to mention their very existence really pisses off the anti-gunners - that's just a bonus ;) I held off becoming a member for a long time because I didn't completely agree with everything they do, but once Bloomie dropped $50M to help push the anti-gun message, I knew I had to get involved. So, I joined up, life member, emails and all :D

Used to belong to NRA, but they allowed the 86 MG amendment through and support candidates solely on their stance on the second amendment without thought to other constitutional rights. Also, when Moses (Heston) was president of the NRA, it was really apparent he didn't understand what the Second Amendment was about (it isn't about hunting), probably even after someone clued him in and he seemed to publicly change his views.

Used to belong to GOA as they understood, didn't compromise, and were aggressive - unlike the NRA.

Used to live not far from the SAF and talked to them periodically at gun shows. Knew some of the people in the office. Gave them money, but never joined them. They went off the deep end a bit (the whole Unintended Consequences kick - a bit dangerous IMO).

I don't belong to any right now. I do not like that most gun clubs demand you be an NRA member to join, so I don't join them.

The NRA started as a hunting and shooting advocate not a 2nd amd. soap box. To be fair, you should look at Heston's span of ages and see how his view and priorities might have been skewed from what's going on today. I don't believe this forum would exist today with out the NRA efforts.
I've never participated in any program, club, religion, organization outing, or family gathering of which all participants were in agreement. To denigrate an organization for something like junk mail seems hypocritical. To throw money at an organization then say I gave therefore I've done my part seems hypercritical. All functional relationships require some effort, ongoing effort, and likely never a ubiquitous consensus in all matters. Like others have suggested here, ask, and the junk mail will stop or is asking too much effort. Don't just throw money at an organization, participate in it. Dropping money in the basket at church the two times a year you go will not make you nearer to God. In my life, I've only met one other who actually voted for the officers in the NRA though all members have the opportunity. Several NRA members I know have never read the president column and skip over all the political and global reports as BLA, Bla, Bla,
I'm a proud life member and continue to support financially when I can. I vote, though I'm only as knowledgeable as what I read I do the best I can. I call when prompted to, I E mail.
If you want to give money and sit back on your laurels then fine, They could use your money but If everyone actually got involved imagine what could happen.`
AND NO, I'm not in agreement with all things NRA or this forum, but I feel they are both the best dance in town.

I support the NRA. They are the big dog in the fight on the national level. I simply asked them to take me off their call list one day when they called me. Haven't had a call since.

NRA, SAF, state groups, maybe CCKRBA.

What has any other group accomplished? The SAF is rocking the courts and the NRA is shutting down the fascists trying to enact new laws. That works for me.

Used to belong to NRA, but they allowed the 86 MG amendment through and support candidates solely on their stance on the second amendment without thought to other constitutional rights. Also, when Moses (Heston) was president of the NRA, it was really apparent he didn't understand what the Second Amendment was about (it isn't about hunting), probably even after someone clued him in and he seemed to publicly change his views.

Used to belong to GOA as they understood, didn't compromise, and were aggressive - unlike the NRA.

Used to live not far from the SAF and talked to them periodically at gun shows. Knew some of the people in the office. Gave them money, but never joined them. They went off the deep end a bit (the whole Unintended Consequences kick - a bit dangerous IMO).

I don't belong to any right now. I do not like that most gun clubs demand you be an NRA member to join, so I don't join them.

one big question for you!

do you have any living family and if you do, do you support them or better yet do you agree with everything they say and do?

or did you drop them too?

Just a heads up. The "donate" button at SAF is broken. It is currently httpss, which is wrong. It should begin with https. You can copy and paste the linkinto the address bar and manually change it to https and that gets you to the correct place. I have sent them an email to inform them.

Mike

The NRA started as a hunting and shooting advocate not a 2nd amd. soap box. To be fair, you should look at Heston's span of ages and see how his view and priorities might have been skewed from what's going on today. I don't believe this forum would exist today with out the NRA efforts.
I've never participated in any program, club, religion, organization outing, or family gathering of which all participants were in agreement. To denigrate an organization for something like junk mail seems hypocritical. To throw money at an organization then say I gave therefore I've done my part seems hypercritical. All functional relationships require some effort, ongoing effort, and likely never a ubiquitous consensus in all matters. Like others have suggested here, ask, and the junk mail will stop or is asking too much effort. Don't just throw money at an organization, participate in it. Dropping money in the basket at church the two times a year you go will not make you nearer to God. In my life, I've only met one other who actually voted for the officers in the NRA though all members have the opportunity. Several NRA members I know have never read the president column and skip over all the political and global reports as BLA, Bla, Bla,
I'm a proud life member and continue to support financially when I can. I vote, though I'm only as knowledgeable as what I read I do the best I can. I call when prompted to, I E mail.
If you want to give money and sit back on your laurels then fine, They could use your money but If everyone actually got involved imagine what could happen.`
AND NO, I'm not in agreement with all things NRA or this forum, but I feel they are both the best dance in town.

You are spot on. It's about ongoing support, as a business person I understand the importance of repeat business, which in this case translates to continued support. As this is an important issue, it's time for me to step up. Which means money to the NRA, possibly others and then doing the follow through stuff you mention. Though a one time donation is nice, I agree, this will require more.

Mike

I've joined and donated to NRA, GOA, OFF, and WCFA.

All of these organizations and others are working hard on our behalf. Any of them perfect? Do I agree with every stance or action? No and no, but they are a long ways from Moms Demand Action or any of the other "grass roots" efforts funded by Bloomberg or Soros. I also believe my money is well invested in these organizations, and no I'm not so naive to think that 100% of my money is used for political action.

One thing I can say for certain is that if we sit on our hands we will lose our rights on this and others. Soon our Constitutional Rights will become State regulated privileges that will only be granted to the elite. If you don't get involved somehow you better not complain to the rest of us later.

one big question for you!

do you have any living family and if you do, do you support them or better yet do you agree with everything they say and do?

or did you drop them too?
You have no choice about belonging to family, you do have a choice about which political organizations you join.

I choose to join and/or support those that I am most aligned with politically. I answered the question about which gun rights orgs I support, those that I don't and why.

I don't believe you needed to get personal with the veiled insults, but I suppose it is to be expected in a political thread. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top