Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RifleEnthusiast, Oct 17, 2012.

1. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

Given the same model of a handgun available in two variants, one with a manual safety and the other with a decocker instead of the manual safety and both being the same price, other than the obvious difference why would one choose one vs the other? do certain competitions, e.g. IPSC or IDPA require one vs the other? it seems at least from observation that many of the competitors in these tournaments seem to pick the one with the manual safety.

2. swpost10

swpost10 SE Vancouver, WA Member

You left out the Glock-striker-fire type so called "double action only". You don't really show what your use is. Is it just for competition?

3. shooter58

shooter58 Vancouver, WA Active Member

Personally I don’t care for a manual safety. My feeling is that manipulation of a manual safety is an area of concern when things get tense and you can barely remember your own name. The military likes them because of the unpredictability of situations where unwanted manipulation of the trigger is a possibility. Not the case with most civilian shooters. Also, I have seen manual safety’s get people into unsafe situations as an assumption of safety is present when in fact it’s not.

4. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I don't go out of my way for either one but if forced into a choice I would go with the manual safety. If I need to go from SA to DA I'd rather manually manipulate the hammer.

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Unless it's single action auto like 1911 or a BHP you don't need a manual safety. Decockers are like teats on a boarhog

6. RifleEnthusiast

The reason I was asking is that I came across the CZ SP-01 and the SP-01 tactical, and this was the only difference between them, to me it didn't seem that much of a difference, I wanted to know what others thought, and as I said it seemed that a lot of the competitors in the IPSC prefer the one with the safety, I wondered if there was a competition rule or something for that.

7. RifleEnthusiast

I've seen several videos on youtube arguing why Glocks are not 'double action only', since they are semi-cocked in their normal state :)
    More like just a general range gun and maybe competition too.

8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Learn a real single action with a safety (if you have the natural ability) and you will probably never go back

9. hillbilli

hillbilli whidbey island New Member

given those choices.. decocker..