JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, this section has gotten often political lately, so I figured I'd try to bring it back a bit.

We were talking in the discussion the other day. One of the members was talking about coming back from a major surgery and a question was raised that I enjoyed thinking about.

If you were unable to shoot for an extended period of time (think months), due to illness, travel, injury, or whatever, what is the first gun you would look forward to shooting when you were finally able?

Mine would likely be either my Garand or my 03a3. It would be a toss up.

image.jpeg

Because I like focusing and..... It's cheap to shoot.
image.jpeg

Then again.. Maybe Grandpas .300 Savage?
image.jpeg

Blew a lung early in my adult life, cut stem to stern for repair, resulting in significant nerve damage. Several months before strength, function and feeling returned to my shooting hand.

Biggest challenge was the double action trigger pull on a S&W K-22. Also one of my favorite guns to shoot... Sure kick myself for ever selling it...

How about wanting to be proficient with your carry gun while healing after surgery?

I'm two weeks into recovering from shoulder surgery. And it's been strangely rewarding.

It was a eye opener to suddenly have to do all things as a lefty.
At first I couldn't even take a chew without throwing most of it all over my face and down my shirt.
Showering [cant wash my left arm pit]. And getting dressed [Tank tops and button up shirts only]. Were suddenly more challenging.

Whatever. I really don't care how I smell or how I'm dressed [Some say I never did]? :s0092:
But there was the problem of how to carry and operate a concealed handgun.
And this I cared about. As I still walk 4-5 miles a day. And can't put up much of a fight without.

So I emptied my Glock. Tightened up my arm sling and went to work. :s0054:

Now I can draw and holster my G-43 quite proficiently with my left hand.
So glad I chose a 5 o'clock IWB holster carry method several years ago. My gun rides and feels the same because it's in the same place. I just reach for it with a different hand. ;)

Now. To answer your original question.

My Barrett 50BMG. :s0140:

Been there-done that, for me it was this M14.
Surgery on my right arm and left shoulder left me with little if any muscle memory, or strength.
Recovery has been slow, and I continue to improve.

IMG_4901.JPG

Last Edited:
People shouldn't go overboard in any case. Shoot a heavy gun in a light caliber - assuming it's not so heavy it is hard to pick up.

It's not only injury, but also old age, that takes its toll. I no longer have a desire to shoot my .338 WM rifle. My favorite rifle is an 1885 in 6.5 TCU...

After months of chemo and radiation, I wanted to shoot the AR. I went to the range.. got all set up. Walked down range to setup targets. Ran out of strength at about 50 yards. Could not make it to 100. I haven't tried again, since then. I just shoot the pistols. Only need to walk 10 yards.

People shouldn't go overboard in any case. Shoot a heavy gun in a light caliber - assuming it's not so heavy it is hard to pick up.

It's not only injury, but also old age, that takes its toll. I no longer have a desire to shoot my .338 WM rifle. My favorite rifle is an 1885 in 6.5 TCU...

Physical condition & ailments motivated me to sell off my big recoil producers over
the past year or so, thankfully the recoil my M14s produce is completely manageable.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top