Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which One - P250 or XDM

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by gamestuf, May 25, 2009.

1. gamestuf

gamestuf Marysville, WA New Member

I need (want) to get a new gun, and am looking at either getting a P250 or a XDM. I like the DAO and modular design on the P250, and I liked the feel of the XD when I last had a chance to shoot one..

Opinions?

2. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I have both in .40 S&W, a 4 in XD vs the compact P250: XD is a fine gun with nice features, but I don't like the recoil 'feel' when you shoot it compared to the Sig.
    Sig feels a bit more solid and I like the sig profile. But, I still like the XD, too.
    Accuracy? Heck, they both shoot better'n me! (old dog learning DAO!) My choice: I favor the Sig for CC.
    So, what do you plan on using one of these for?
    That might help you decide.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  3. gamestuf

Really looking for something to shoot all the time. I have a P239 that can be used for carry and a sig mosquito for plinking. I would like something that I could carry if I wanted to, but really looking for a general target/training pistol. I like the idea of the DAO trigger being the same every time. I have not had a chance to shoot the P250, just hold it multiple times at the shop.

Thanks, Jim

4. motoman98

-I think the 239 is a great gun for carry, good choice.
    I am thinking for 'fun' shooting, I might lean towards the XD-M, maybe in full size if you like a 5in bbl and get the bigger mag capacity too (in a very good gun).
    Also, I put a lazer on my XD and had alot of fun night shooting-we could see the base of the bullet bright in the lazer beam; what a sight.

5. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

You have shot an XD, but not the XDM? Totally different guns.......

I would go for the XDM

6. buyamonkey

buyamonkey West vancouver WA Member

+1 for the XDM. I have one in 9mm and really like it, I shot a couple of Glocks, and a SW and really like the feel of the Springfield. The 4.5 inch matched barrel and full size frame is a little big for deep concealed, but on some of the other boards plenty of people are CC those. The price is pretty good on those as well, I paid 585 for all black, the others are a little more expensive, look for the od with a stainless slide... Ohhhhhh Ahhhhhhh

38b.jpg

7. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

I can't get over the fact that the "XD" is actually just a Croation "HS2000," being marketed in the United States by Springfield.

Gag.

8. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Not to hijack your thread or nothin', but have you considered a glock. I have an XD 9mm and a glock 19. I am not a fan of the chamber indicator on the XD because you should always treat it like its loaded. The firing pin indicator is "neato", but really not very useful. The trigger pull on a Glock is shorter and slightly better IMHO.

9. gamestuf

I have shot the Glock 17 next to the XD and found the XD felt better to me. Next trip to the range I plan on trying to fire a 250, SigPro, XDM and maybe also the glock. Of course there are some other's that I would like, but of course just need to find a little extra money:)

Thanks for the input!

10. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Dont' get me wrong, I do like the XD, but the glock a bit more...To each their own!

11. buyamonkey

Just keep in mind that an XD and an XDM are completely different animals.

The XDM:
    has a different grip
    Interchangable back straps
    4.5" matched barrel
    Improved trigger (Minimal Reset Trigger)
    Heavy Duty Guide rod Spring
    Better grip on the Slide
    16 round Magazine in .40 and 19 in 9mm

If you can't guess I'm still in the XDM camp.

Good Luck and happy gun shopping

Eddie

12. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

The worst thing that Springfield did was to name the gun XDM.

People think it is a modified XD because of the name, when really there is nothing that is the same between the 2.

I would never own an XD, but the XDM is my top choice in handguns.

13. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

+1 on the XDM. The XD is not in the same league. I'm already saving 9mm ammo for a future XDM-9 Bitone and the 19+1 capacity.

14. easysteve

easysteve Salem, Oregon Member

So pretty much I'm going to buy a XDM 9 now, thanks alot guys......

15. koden

koden Milwaukie, OR Member

I shot a 9mm XDM a couple days ago at the range. I am used to the 3.5# crisp trigger pull on my 1911 but for a plastic gun it shot great (I dont say plastic with malice. I like em too). I think I liked my USP 9mm in SA better than the XDM trigger but again, I like SA modes over DA or striker fired modes. For a striker fired gun it was very smooth though. Very consistent pull.

16. Wenis

Wenis Tri-Cities, WA Member

FYI, the cheapest place I've found new a bitone XDM-9 is from Griggs in Pasco, WA for $627. Far cheaper than the $700+ Cabelas is charging. Last weekend they had two and were getting in two more.

The wife said I could not get get any plastic looking gun that could be mistaken for a toy, so the stainless slide is what I'm after, plus it's pretty sharp looking.

17. motoman98

They sound too good. Gota shoot one.

18. buyamonkey

I've never shot one with their trigger in it, but I've seen some really good reviews about a drop in trigger and also the in-house trigger jobs at http://www.springerprecision.com/ which is in Bend, OR. I think they do all kinds of cool stuff for XD's XDMs and other firearms. I need to wait a bit and build up the collection before I start tuning up the aftermarket stuff.

I think Gamestuf will be super happy with the XDM, if they go that way. It is the NRA pistol of the year. Happy shooting! The only bad side is you can shoot through a box of ammo in 2.5 magazines. We normally play some shooting games so I just load 10 at a time. You almost get tired from pulling the trigger so many times.:)

19. 9MilMan

9MilMan Milwaukie Active Member

I own both the P250 and an XD in 9mm. The Sig DOA trigger takes a lot of getting used to, but is great as a defensive weapon. Although, I am starting to get FTEs, and I can't figure out why. The XD is much better (for me) on the range, where I find it to be quite accurate.

20. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

I have a stainless .45 XD and a 9mm Stainless/OD XDM. I think both are great, but the XDM feels damn near perfect in my hand. 50 rounds into it, I was shooting better with it than with the 228 Sig I've had for years. I've never shot the P250, so I can't make a comparison - But I don't think you can go wrong with the XDM.

You can pick up a stainless one on gunbroker for $600 from Northern Firearms (great to deal with)
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=137849625 - Then add in shipping and transfer fees- Your looking at about $665 total.