Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

which one is better fishing by a river or by sea

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by baddybian, Oct 15, 2010.

1. baddybian

baddybian Guangdong china New Member

how do you think the diffrents between them??

2. CaughtSteelin

CaughtSteelin Oregon Member

Sea...any day! A lot less people and and nice being the only one out there with nothing around but water, quite comforting.

3. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

Any day fishing you know

4. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Fish out of the sea eat better IMHO.
    Tough to beat those *benthic fish out of the salt! Few things better than ling cod or cabezon.

*look it up,...

5. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Depends on your boat.

6. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

IDK about the other areas, but here once the fish start in the rivers they very quickly change colors and get mushier. I'll take ocean caught anyday, but will never turn down a fresh river caught salmon.

7. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

Ill take high lakes over either

8. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

I prefer the high streams in the middle of no where with out the sight or sign of humans around anywhere.....Just me..fly rod.. trickling water...and maybe some fish.

9. coastal steelheader

coastal steelheader Aberdeen Well-Known Member

Give me the rivers any day.
    If you fish tidewater you'll get salmon chrome and with sea lice on them just like in the ocean. The upper rivers provide action that can't be beat, except you'll deal with a lot of moron snaggers.

10. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Fishing is overrated.. catching is the bomb..

Ocean fishing when the sea permits, is usually more productive.. You may have to change spicies to bring home the dinner, but bottom fish, salmon, tuna, halibut, and ling cod, all seem eatible.

11. CanCanCase

CanCanCase Southern Oregon Coast Member

I was raised on 40# King Salmon and 200# halibut in SE Alaska, so I've never been able to develop an interest in small, freshwater fish. I'd like to tackle a nice sturgeon or muskie someday, but for now, chasing tuna, opah and salmon shark is my thing.

-Case

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

The actual fishing/catching? If I can find a nice secluded fishing hole I would rather fish for and reel in a fish from the bank than any other way of fishing.

13. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I love small river fishing. It is easier to read the water and for the most part you don't need a depth finder if you are in a boat. Some of my best days of fishing have been on the Deschutes around Maupin in the winter. Winter fishing is harder, but you don't have the splash and giggle crowd to contend with. I've been out there during the winter and never seen another fisherman on some days.

14. 1stklass

1stklass salem oregon Well-Known Member

I've done a little salmon fishing and bottom fishing. But i cant say i have had more fun fishing than crappie fishing. Brownlee Reservoir on the Oregon-Idaho border is phenomenal! I went with a friend of mine for a week and caught 60 to 100 crappie a day with a few bass, perch, and bluegill mixed in. About 2 hours a day was spent fileting and i ended up with enough to feed everyone at my family reunion (150 people eating fish tacos).. Fishing was so good even my 4, 9, and 11 year old didnt get bored. Fish bit all day long with few slow times. On ultralight spinning rods it was a blast!

15. rtg

rtg Oregon Member

+1

16. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I agree on the ling cod and cabezon (the mother in law fish). They are 2nd best eating to bright ocean salmon that I have had.

17. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

My fishing buddy Jack Daniels feels the same way, except he is sometimes disturbed, and awakened, by his line swimming upstream.

18. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It just don't matter !! :thumbup::thumbup: fishing is always greeeeeeeat !! catching is a bonus !!!

steven

19. CanCanCase

CanCanCase Southern Oregon Coast Member

After last weekend fishing on the Rogue river and this weekend fishing the salt in SE Alaska, I can say that next week my plans include no fishing whatsoever...I'll be in the desert enjoying Vegas.

- Case

20. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

CanCanCase if you want to gamble, get a farm, the odds are on your side, but not by much.
    Fishing the ocean is the best! And the fish you catch taste so much better.
    If you can afford a boat and the fuel.
    Bass, Blue Gill and other fresh water fish are a hoot to catch.
    I've been beached with not much chance of getting off the beach. So not much fishing action. But have stored up alot of good times.