JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay there's lots of questions on which is the best handgun to buy, what's your favorite gun, what gun do I have to have, etc. etc.

How about which one disappointed you the most?

Had to have it, couldn't wait to try one, finally managed to get one.....
BUT geez not even close to what I was expecting.

I'm too new to this handgun thing to have one but would like to hear some of the stories.

Many years ago I had sold a Colt 70 series 1911 and always kicked myself for selling it. I had always wanted another 1911. About 4 years ago I decided I was finally going to get another 1911. I settled on a Springfield LW 1911.

The first time I took it out and shot it I noticed that the trigger pull was extremely heavy. I also thought that there might be a problem with the slide or bushing because the gun seemed to be shooting WAY low. I'm talking over a foot low. I finally took it to a gunsmith and had him work on the trigger. He put it on a trigger pull guage and the trigger pull was something like 9 lbs! :s0001: He got it down to about 5 lbs which he said was all he could do unless I wanted to spend more money on new springs. I decided to just run a few hundred more rounds thru it to see if it would improve and it never really did.

I did find out that the gun had not been shooting low. Before I had the trigger worked done on it I was unconciously pulling the muzzle down because the trigger pull was so heavy. I eventually traded it. After that I bought a DW CBOB and couldn't be happier.

The "most" is hard to say. This is kind of opposite of "the last gun I would ever sell".

I bought two Glocks when they were brand new on the market. They were so different to me I couldn't hit anything of note. I sold them.

I bought a first edition P22 - it was a jam-o-matic until it went back to Walther. I still have it, but never shoot it. Big disappointment.

I had a Ruger Mk II in stainless and it was hard for me to clean at the time because it wouldn't come apart. It had to go back to Ruger twice to get it right. (They had to put it in some kind of fixture and force the barrel off, both times.) I finally sold it because I couldn't keep it clean.

I think the Ruger and the two Glocks are the only two handguns I've ever sold.

Para Ordnance P12-45. First handgun I ever bought. It was stainless and the finish almost immediately started to rust. Small rust spots all over. Wouldn't go away no matter what I tried. Had a feeding problem too. Couldn't take it back to the store so I sold to a buddy who wanted it.

My JLD-PTR 91.

It is SO picky with the ammunition...it only likes about 2 different types of ammunition or else the gun won't function correctly. Also, getting a scope on it was a PAIN just to get some high-profile TAPCO scope on it (the mount for it was literally more than the scope).

So, for $1,000- I expected it to be a little better. Especially since you can't reload any of the brass it fires.

attachment.php?attachmentid=35218&stc=1&d=1269458721.jpg

Ruger 10/22. Bought the blued version. Before I even shot it, it went into a dry case but came out with rust on the barrel. Then I shot it and the trigger was sloppier than 40 year old career prostitute. I cleaned up the barrel and completely disassembled and polished the trigger assembly. It's better than it was but it's still not what I had hoped for. I'd like to pick up a Savage one of these days but I'll keep the Ruger, it was the first gun I ever owned.

Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Never could get comfortable shooting that pistol with any accuracy and the cases would expand and get stuck in the cylinder... used to get real sore fingers banging on the plunger to expel the brass.

Para P13. Most finicky gun I've ever owned. Had it worked on a couple of times, but it was just plain unreliable. It did so-so with ball ammo, not good with HP's and terrible with SWC's.

Ruger Camp Carbine 9mm. Boring to shoot, blew smoke in your face so badly that you couldn't empty a full hi-cap mag without taking a break to get some fresh air.

(I must have gotten one of the good Sig Mosquitos, 'cause mine has yet to have a FTFeed/Fire. I've put all kinds of ammo through it, HV, Std, Subsonic... all good.)

Ruger 10/22. Bought the blued version. Before I even shot it, it went into a dry case but came out with rust on the barrel. Then I shot it and the trigger was sloppier than 40 year old career prostitute. I cleaned up the barrel and completely disassembled and polished the trigger assembly. It's better than it was but it's still not what I had hoped for. I'd like to pick up a Savage one of these days but I'll keep the Ruger, it was the first gun I ever owned.

I've really liked this trigger for my 10/22 :s0155:

<broken link removed>
51FFizoi1-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've really liked this trigger for my 10/22 :s0155:

<broken link removed>
51FFizoi1-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

that trigger cost more than I paid for my 10/22 :s0154:

I'd say the most disappointing gun i own has been the makarov 9x18
It's loud, shoots odd ammo, and has more palm-slap than my .40
I've kept it because of its sturdy build and excellent reliability, but despite thos qualities, it'll probably be up for sale within the month.

Walther PPK/S 380. Completly unreliable until about 300 to 400 rounds. Works great now but you know what 6 to 8 boxes of 380 costs plus hard to find a year or so ago. Had to send it in for safety recall. Magazine catch wouldn't work right, disassembled myself and removed burr. Recoil just hits web of hand harder than a 380 should. I had allways wanted one but what a letdown. Still have it.

Ditto on the ppk/s. in 380. It always jammed. the stainless rusted easy. I always got bitten by the slide & hammer. Maybe I got a lemon, Maybe it was me, but I wont own another.

that trigger cost more than I paid for my 10/22 :s0154:

But less $$ than I paid for the RRA 2-Stage triggers for my AR's. :s0155:

To me the 10/22 is a starter piece which you then get to customize to your liking. If I could of, I would have just purchased the receiver, and built mine up from there. Instead I have a pile of used parts. If you need a nice never-fired blued barrel, let me know. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top