JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Animal traps, fishing yo-yo's or a .22 with 1K rounds of ammo at 7.4 lbs for 1K rounds of ammo. You could technically take larger game with a head shot or kill a rabbit regularly. Of course a deer would be better value per round expended.

I'm leaning toward a .22....it's a lot more reliable IMO as well than hoping an animal walks into your trap or that there are fish in the water where you're at....I mean heck I have enough trouble catching a fish on the water in a boat all day out there (much easier with a fish trap though!!). I'd hate to try it in real life SHTF....

If an Actual and for Real SHTF ...
- No game left after 2 weeks 'cuz the real hunters have harvested all that they could before the amateurs have run-off everything in a 500 mile radius
- Even if you DO manage to find something, it'll be worth your life to get it home past the starving hordes.
- ditto if you expect to fish anywhere near home...and make it back home with your catch.

Might be a good idea to arm for two legged predators ... there's gonna be plenty of those.

Just hope and pray it doesn't happen anytime near winter.

After some very serious consideration and overcoming the mental shackles of social bounds and taboos, in a TEOTWAWKI WROL SHTF scenario.... I'm going cannibal. o_O

Dammit, I just remembered that I swore off junk-food.... back to the drawing board! :rolleyes: :s0108:

If an Actual and for Real SHTF ...
- No game left after 2 weeks 'cuz the real hunters have harvested all that they could before the amateurs have run-off everything in a 500 mile radius
- Even if you DO manage to find something, it'll be worth your life to get it home past the starving hordes.
- ditto if you expect to fish anywhere near home...and make it back home with your catch.

Might be a good idea to arm for two legged predators ... there's gonna be plenty of those.

Just hope and pray it doesn't happen anytime near winter.

Nobody said anything about not being armed for 2 legged predators and you can still shoot those with a .22, it kills more people than all other calibers combined every year....In fact I'd rather put down some fire to get everyone to hit the ground then escape. The people who think they are going to fight it out with dozens of marauders by themselves with their AR and AK are in for a dose of reality....I certainly have no delusions about fighting that many people or patching myself up while I fight after I got shot....I'd rather keep everyone's head down by dumping a mag and bolting. By the time they get back up I'm gone....

I'm talking about just gathering food. Winter time is a great example. Not a ton of edible plants available that time of year. So meat is your best bet...and you can carry 7.4 lbs of .22 for 1K rounds vs 100 ish round of say AK or AR ammo for the same weight. And I wouldn't want to be shooting rabbits and squirrels with a rifle that makes the meal explode into a fine red mist....

Animal traps/ snares are working 24-7 in multiple areas. Shooting is loud and will draw unwanted attention.

That has crossed my mind and IS a good point, but....having watched a lot of trapping videos on youtube of guys who do it for a living, it's a TOUGH gig. They all hunt for their food and trap for furs. A lot of times they get nothing for weeks....

Perhaps a blend of both strategies is key.

Animal traps/ snares are working 24-7 in multiple areas. Shooting is loud and will draw unwanted attention.

OP is talking about a .22LR though...if he's shooting subsonic ammo suppressed, then he's at 110dB at the firearm. Assuming he's shooting in the wooded, hilly landscape of Oregon...people would have to be relatively close to be drawn to the shot.

For an example of how quiet it is, see:

Anyone more than (probably) 50 yards away is going to have a tough time calling that as gunfire or tracking the location it came from. And if someone is in your 50 to 100 yard radius...time to gtfo.

Last Edited:
A lot of times they get nothing for weeks.

There is truth to this. I live in a wooded area, I set out traps to get rid of pest critters. You go out and find empty traps most of the time. I'm talking from mice to raccoon. For one thing, animals tend to be territorial. Depending upon their size and ranging ability, their area is of an established amount. Once you wipe out a clan or family, it takes time for a given territory to become absorbed into other clan areas, or for another clan to develop in the vacant area. A couple of decades ago, I killed about 30 raccoons in one year. I didn't see another raccoon on my property for fifteen years. These days, I'm starting to see them again and I've shot a few.

So as you harvest game in your area, soon you will be going farther and farther afield looking for more.

My delayed Hippie generation neighbors moved in a year or so ago. They brought with them the idea of some degree of "living off the land." I've seen this pathetic notion in play before around here. They planted a garden and the whole bit. As time went by, more and more wire mesh and screen went up over this and that to keep the critters out. When they first moved in, I introduced myself being neighborly and all. They were gushing over their garden. I simply told them I'd lived here over 30 years and my two best crops were berries and firewood. There are a few good micro climates here near the Sound, but mostly growing fruits and veggies around here is pretty hopeless. You get buds set on early, then comes the Spring wind and rain and no pollinating insects. By the time what's left of your crop has gotten a good start, the weather cools off and the growing is over.

We had another bunch of these would-be self-sustainers move in down the road about 8 or 10 years ago. First thing, they cleared off a bunch of trees. Then they put in some gardens. Next a hen house. Then a little hot house. You go down there now, the entire place is a tangled mess of tree stumps and blackberry thickets.

After some very serious consideration and overcoming the mental shackles of social bounds and taboos, in a TEOTWAWKI WROL SHTF scenario.... I'm going cannibal. o_O

Dammit, I just remembered that I swore off junk-food.... back to the drawing board! :rolleyes: :s0108:
Just make sure you harvest vegans. They smell funny but the meat will be better and there's a sense of satisfaction you get.

Why would one have to rely on just one method or item...?
If SHTF use all of the options spelled out in the OP.
In a SHTF there is no '"best" , just what works or what does not work.

Much like the layering of clothes in cold weather...a survival system will work better if you have many ways and skills to do something
Andy

4320update.jpg.pagespeed.ce.Jx4L13x_ai.jpg

Animal traps, fishing yo-yo's or a .22 with 1K rounds of ammo at 7.4 lbs for 1K rounds of ammo. You could technically take larger game with a head shot or kill a rabbit regularly. Of course a deer would be better value per round expended.

I'm leaning toward a .22....it's a lot more reliable IMO as well than hoping an animal walks into your trap or that there are fish in the water where you're at....I mean heck I have enough trouble catching a fish on the water in a boat all day out there (much easier with a fish trap though!!). I'd hate to try it in real life SHTF....
All of the above, but all are worthless without fairly intimate knowledge of what's available in your surroundings and how to forage from it.
I'd also consider pitfall traps.
Also consider that you absolutely will have to lower your standards of an acceptable meal if all you've got to eat requires hunting and foraging. Mostly you will have to consume as you obtain.

The only "best" in a SHTF is whatever you did , in order to survive.

"Best" in regards to eating post SHTF is having :
Food and water...
A P-38 to open cans...
The skill , ability and time to hunt , fish and trap...
The knowledge and practice of skinning game , making fire and cooking along with preserving food...
Something to cook with or on...
A working knowledge of animals , plants and the area in which SHTF happened...
A safe and secure shelter to eat , sleep , cook and store your food and other items...

Don't get trapped into thinking or worrying about what is "best"...
Just do what is needed to survive.
Andy

A .22 and ammo would likely provide the best chances for a comfortable survival.
i.e. sell the .22 and ammo. Use the money from the sale to pay for a bus ticket to an area with better employment potential.
This is how my ancestors provided for their future. Sold everything they could and used the funds to move to the new world.:s0115:

Want to survive then BUG IN - don't BUG OUT. Without your stuff - stored food guns and a decent warm place to sleep that is defensible your going to get vary tired vary quickly. Once you get down below a certain level it is pretty hard to keep going.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top