JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am waiting on the paperwork to clear on my suppressor (YHM Turbo 5.56). It is a quick disconnect setup and comes with a muzzle break. I have an additional flash hider on order.

I have a standard 16" barrel on my rifle, and then a 10.5" barrel on my AR pistol, and I am trying to decide which device to put on which gun?

The pistol will probably be mostly used with the suppressor. The rifle is definitely more likely to be used without it. I have read different theories about the muzzle breaks on short barreled ARs, but most people say it unpleasantly loud. I figured I would ask you guys for some feedback. Should I put the flash hider or muzzle break on the 16" or 10.5"?

I am surprised that I haven't gotten more opinions on this? Usually people are more than willing to share theirs.

I guess I will have to play around with both and see what I like best.

I have the Gentec quick mount on many rifles allowing instant mounting or dismounting of supressoes on the rifles. Push down, 1/4 turn and it is removed or mounted.

Last Edited:
I'll buck the trend and say just go with the flash hider on everything. 10" isnt short enough to worry about excessive baffle erosion unless it is a machine gun and if youve ever shot next to someone with an SBR with a brake attached you know you'd like to rip it off the front of their gun and chuck it out into the woods.

If it was an 8" or so yeah, you sort of need the help but not so much in 10" .

Yes, I have chucked a brake into the woods.

I'll buck the trend and say just go with the flash hider on everything. 10" isnt short enough to worry about excessive baffle erosion unless it is a machine gun and if youve ever shot next to someone with an SBR with a brake attached you know you'd like to rip it off the front of their gun and chuck it out into the woods.

If it was an 8" or so yeah, you sort of need the help but not so much in 10" .

Yes, I have chucked a brake into the woods.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. But for now, I have the two guns, and two muzzle devices, so I have to put it on one of them. I will make sure that I am aware of any potential break chuckers nearby so I can do my best to be polite.

7CCA6027-9929-4A27-B95C-1F7A40C4619D.jpeg This is the Quick disconnect device from Gentec.

I use Surefire breaks just because I got a surefire can and It will attatch to any of the breaks so I could go from 308 to 556 and just have to remove the can.

Blast baffles in silencers are not 1/2 inch from the muzzle. I've got 30 cal silencers that gave had many thousands of round of 223 and 30 cal through and they look like the day I bought the but crustier with only flash suppressors.
While your experience is likely legitimate. It doesn't change the fact that supersonic bits of powder and copper and other bits of stuff come out of the muzzle and hit something inside your can instead of the first couple of chambers in a muzzle brake. I'd bet that crusty stuff is pretty darn hard to remove and if you could measure your first baffles opening vs it new, it likely enlarged.

I have the Gentec quick mount on many rifles allowing instant mounting or dismounting of supressoes on the rifles. Push down, 1/4 turn and it is removed or mounted.

View attachment 440483 This is the Quick disconnect device from Gentec.

Which is great except that the OP doesn't have a Gentec suppressor. I have never heard of Gentec. Can you provide a link to their site?

My two Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf cans each took the usual time. Almost one year each. One can is dedicated to the Sig Mosquito. The other can is kept on the SBR Ruger 10-22. I do not remember how much the POA was moved. Too long ago.

The Elite Iron Echo 6" rf cans are black stainless steel, come apart for whatever cleaning and all the gut parts are available from Elite Iron. They recommended that the cans not be removed from the platform. Spendy. Very quiet. I am happy. :)

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And BATFE Rules And NFA Laws Apply. Wow.

www.eliteiron.com

Last Edited:
My two Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf cans each took the usual time. Almost one year each. One can is dedicated to the Sig Mosquito. The other can is kept on the SBR Ruger 10-22. I do not remember how much the POA was moved. Too long ago.

The Elite Iron Echo 6" rf cans are black stainless steel, come apart for whatever cleaning and all the gut parts are available from Elite Iron. They recommended that the cans not be removed from the platform. Spendy. Very quiet. I am happy. :)

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And BATFE Rules And NFA Laws Apply. Wow.

www.eliteiron.com

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread, unless you were somehow going to tie that analysis into muzzle devices on an AR.

Brakes act as sacrificial baffles.

View attachment 440522
I agree. Blast baffle erosion is a very real phenomenon, especially with shorter barrels.
23732208364_0d4dfd9b3f_h.jpg 4NbNs98.jpg 05f7Qlr.jpg
With the newer Stellite blast baffles it's not as much of a problem, but considering the YHM Turbo uses an Inconel blast baffle, I'd run the muzzle brake on the shorter barrel just to be safe.

If you truly intend to do most of your shooting suppressed with the shorter barrel, there's no drawback to running the muzzle brake, only advantages. If you find yourself doing a lot of unsuppressed shooting with it, you might consider swapping it over to a flash hider.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top