JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
@EHJ Recently posted a link to an incident where a good guy with a gun ended a potential mass shooting with a hunting rifle by shooting the suspect. While there are a lot of discussions on what makes a good concealed carry choice or home defense choice, what about a scenario where a threat is a greater distance than you would feel 100% certain of engaging with a handgun or shotgun. What would you choose and why? I ask because most of my planning stems around my bedside handgun and my shotgun and I am unsure of exactly how I would answer. Would you choose an AR, a hunting rifle, or something else? Still choose a handgun or shotgun? Would using an AR in a defensive situation be regarded in a more negative light?

I'm leaning towards my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 with peep sights and AR mags, but truthfully don't have anything specifically staged for this scenario.

Last Edited:
I have no problem hitting at 100 yards and beyond with my shotguns, but I would choose an AR hands down. I have more time on them than any other firearm. The ability for rapid and muliple accurate fire wins in my book.

As far as "a more negative light" using an AR, I'll counter with Stephen Willeford.

If it was only one threat....
I wouldn't feel bad using my Hawken rifle in .54 caliber.
It is the rifle I shoot the most , and more importantly , make the most hits with.
I have shot at and hit targets out to 200 yards with this rifle.

And yeah I am sure that the above will raise a fuss...but the question was :
"What would you choose and why? "
My choice is based on my loading and shooting skill with that rifle.
I have owned and shot this rifle since 1997...it has accounted for both game and winning rifle shooting matches.
And yes again...I know that game and targets don't shoot back...but I have experience there as well.

With that said....
My Winchester 94 Carbine in .30-30 makes for a dandy all around modern rifle which can double as a defensive arm.
This would probably be my actual choice if I had to use a rifle for defense.
Andy

Either the Aero M4rgry or Winchester M-88. Either one lets me keep my head low while sighting. Need to get something figured out for the Vepr so I can stay low and sight it.

Whats best? Ask the professionals, the police. If a cop uses it then you can ask for no better home defense tool. Imho

Police risk their lives every day and they know what works best.

16" .358 Winchester w/ 225gn Partitions
yQFRiF3l.jpg

I have a family member sitting in jail right now for defending another family member on their property. They'll probably lose all their possessions even if he is found not guilty.

If you are on the west coast, it better be worth it. Guilty before proving yourself innocent.

I have a family member sitting in jail right now for defending another family member on their property. They'll probably lose all their possessions even if he is found not guilty.

If you are on the west coast, it better be worth it. Guilty before proving yourself innocent.
Or in any Lefty State. I hope that your family member is not getting negative press.

To me that is very sad. Lesson from it for me is move if you live in a place where that happens.

If it was only one threat....
I wouldn't feel bad using my Hawken rifle in .54 caliber.
It is the rifle I shoot the most , and more importantly , make the most hits with.
I have shot at and hit targets out to 200 yards with this rifle.
That would be too kewl - I can see the headlines now; "local mountain man takes down sniper with black powder muzzle loader". But then all the anti-gun people would say "see, you don't need an AR-47 or an AK-15, you can defend yourself with a muzzle loader". :D

Whats best? Ask the professionals, the police. If a cop uses it then you can ask for no better home defense tool. Imho

Police risk their lives every day and they know what works best.
7B6CC60E-A2BA-4514-9BA1-E995046BBD13.jpeg
Some departments equip based on budget, political considerations, employee capacity, cost of conversion training, and other non-core mission criteria. I would not blindly assume that any government or private organization has made the ideal equipment choice, from vehicles to firearms to computers.

Not if he was in the right and with the right lawyer, if going with court appointed BS then yeah he is probably screwed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top