Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Build Thread Which loctite for 338 magnum guard screws?

Reactions
Red or Blue? Any ideas or suggestions. My 338 shoots loose every season from a Winchester 70 Winlite; pillar bedded with McMillian-Winchester factory stock. This model is about 17 years old.

Thanks,

Velzey

Reactions
How tight are you getting them?

And use blue!:)

I just had a Win 70 in that had red on the action screws. I took the simple route. Milled the heads off the screws.

KKG

Reactions
I've been using Red Loctite on pretty much everything for more than 40+ years. If you need to get something apart, a bit of heat from a Pencil Type Soldering Iron will do the trick. So far, everything had remained tightly in its Proper Place for all those years and I have not been concerned that one of those Screws was going to work loose. Many people choose to use the Blues because it's "Good Enough" but then they sit around wondering/worrying if it really is and they are forever "Tweeking" those screws - just to be sure! And they will miss a shot of something else. Red!:):):)

bsa1917hunter

Reactions
How tight are you getting them?

And use blue!:)

I just had a Win 70 in that had red on the action screws. I took the simple route. Milled the heads off the screws.
I agree with Velzey^^^^. I also have to wonder about the actual bedding. Some guys think since it's "pillar bedded", that's all that's needed. This is far from being the truth. Heck, even an aluminum bedding block isn't all that is needed. The action and stock should still be glass bedded, even if it's only skim bedded (as in the bedding block rifle). If the rifle is not sitting on those pillars squarely and is slipping back and forth (even ever so slightly) during recoil, this could be allowing those screws to lose their grip and start backing out. Blue loctite only adds a bandaid on top of a bigger problem. Sounds like a bedding issue to me IMHO.... Speaking of that, I am going to work on the bedding of a rifle that I bought yesterday. Not everything from the factory is perfect....

LATEST REVIEWS

• Klickitat County Firearms Training Facility
    4.00 star(s)
    Not really a range guy, as in I am 53 years old and today is the very first time I have been to an actual managed shooting range. Also, not a WA...
    • CRBMoA
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    I've made several purchases here over the past few years and I've had a great experience every time. Prices are good, their staff is helpful, and...
    • Joe Link
  • Big Iron Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    It's great to have an LGS inside Portland Metro. Walt and Noah have put care into setting good prices and acquiring quality firearms and...
    • kr0ptkin
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Well I finally got around to taking pics of the Cerakoting work that Jeremy of Lucky Sports did for my wife and me about 3 weeks ago. We couldn't...
    • jg rider
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Here's more work that Jeremy did for me The first 3 pics are of an RIA frame that I had Cerakoted years back by an outfit in Molino. I had Jeremy...
    • jg rider

Staff online