Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which "legal" guns would you get for the Zombie Apocalypse?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by JimmyS1985, May 8, 2012.

1. JimmyS1985

JimmyS1985 St.Louis Active Member

Im a fan of the Left 4 dead 2 series of games, and just love blasting zombies.

So naturally my love of video games has transferred into gun purchases, I bought the Beretta M9 because it had a decent magazine capacity and fired a low cost round. Good to plink cans with.

I can't quite afford a FiveseveN and their ammo is both expensive and rare.

I'm not looking for fully automatic weapons since I don't want to go through all that stuff for a class 3 license, but I am considering buying an AK-47 with a standard 30 round magazine. I see some Romanian ones for a reasonable price, Im thinking of between $600 and $750 before shipping is what I am willing to pay.

I fired an Uzi not too long ago, and while I think it fires the 9mm bullet at a higher velocity and muzzle energy because it has a longer barrel, not to mention more accurately at longer ranges than my handgun, Im really thinking I want an assault rifle. I looked into the AR15, and I didn't like that the bullets are smaller than the 7.62x39mm but cost about the same.

I checked cheaperthandirt.com and they seem to go for about 500 rounds for $120 before shipping, and IIRC it was a a similar or higher price for .223 rounds, probably because the military and police swat teams uses a lot of them so they are in high demand. Im not backpacking across country so carry weight of bullets isn't really an issue, I just like to go out into the desert and fire at beer cans when i go out to Arizona.

I fired a polytec AK47 about 2 years ago, and that thing was better than sex. I also fired an SKS and it had a scope on it that wasn't sighted in. I hit a gallon jug with it and that jug went flying about 15 feet in the air. I really like that 7.62x39mm round based on what I have shot.

I didn't want to make a generic "AK47 vs AR15" thread, but was wondering for firearms with magazine capacities of between 20 and 32 rounds, what would you recommend? I just happen to enjoy having a lot of firepower, albeit I still love to shoot bolt-actions and .44 magnum revolvers.

2. Keys1971

Keys1971 Oregon City Active Member

One that works. Zombies dont care what kind of weapon or round they are shot with. Pick one that fits you well, that you can afford to shoot, and works every time. Keys.

3. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

So if a Zombie is dead, Shooting one makes um deader? Punching small holes in a walking corpse? Doesn't seem like a viable disabling method as their internals are impervious to damage (most likely removed in embalming).

I would want explosives and lots of them, Flamethrower, or Chainsaw. Screw the legal issue. If dead people can walk the least of my worries would be Obama .

sandman1212 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Akathepriest

Akathepriest Astoria, OR Active Member

mikeli, read the zombie survival guide. You will learn many things.

5. Key-Hay

I'll just enjoy reading the zombie posts. I prefer my imaginary bad guys in Cowboy action. They show up weekends at matches all over the PNW.

6. Akathepriest

Akathepriest Astoria, OR Active Member

Well if nothing else, it is a well written and illustrated book that does play on many different situations that can be applied to civil unrest as well.

7. Godfather911

Godfather911 Springfield, OR. Member

In a law-less land. I would pick a weapon"S".That is with an "S", that wouldn't need ALOT of field maintenance. I know my way around AR variants already.Serving in the Marines for 5yrs in Battalion Recon. We had ALOT of hand's on with very wide variety of weapons platforms from our adversaries. If I needed to ditch that weapon and grab an AR, I wouldnt have a problem keeping it up. Anyway's...I bought an AK-74 recently. I chose it over the 47. I am not in Iraq or an immediate hotzone were I need to punchholes in engine block's,or make 500plus yd shot's, Or turn cover into concealment. The AK, It just fires and fires. I could lube it with urine and it will run, might smell like burnt bacon, But it will still be banging bodies. The rounds are dirt cheap,right now. I have 5 cases of corrosive on standby and I use them for training. I always clean my weapon's. i don't worry about the corrosion scare like most. If the day ever comes they stop importing 5.45. I will let it sit and purchase an AR variant,with a decent optic. I use the AK as a training tool to keep proficient gun skill's and if there's a bad natural disaster and I need to protect my home. It will get the job done. Also have a shotgun. I like 9mm handgun's..but for your scenario, the head is soft tissue to be honest. A 308 round is over kill. Since I am playing along. I would carry small round weapons and a machete...and my K-bar. Knives are more useful then opening MRE's. A 10/22 is a great gun to keep around. You can carry tons of ammo. It can kill deer with a proper headshot at short distances or of course,rabbits and small game. You have to eat. Well,this was what I would do..

andreys21 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. JimmyS1985

Well in Left4dead2 you don't get a head shot every time, and you don't have the time to steady the barrel to head shot each zombie due to the large quantity of zombies. So in L4D2 you can kill a zombie with center body mass unlike in other game/movie versions of a zombie apocalypse, but it will simply take more rounds to do it than if you hit the head. So in a zombie Apocalypse some overkill is needed for the larger majority of times that you are not getting head shots and the massive zombie hordes that are running at you (Oh yea, they run in L4D2, not walk, they also stand if they are oblivious, but when they see a non-infected in the area, they run)

So could someone give me some prices on 7.62x39mm ammo vs .223? Where do you guys buy ammunition? Is cheaperthandirt.com a good place to buy or should I be looking at the ammo at gunsamerica.com? Im moving to Arizona somewhere in the next year or two, so I will probably have ammunition shipped there instead of my house in St. Louis due to a larger number of areas for me to practice shooting at beer cans in case of the zombie apocalypse.

Do AR15's require a lot of maintenance? When my dad served in Vietnam he said they were prone to jamming if so much as a little water got down their barrel. Not sure if they corrected that in the last 40 years.

9. wildwest

wildwest the secret hidden bunker near eugene OR New Member

Twelve Gauge...

10. Key-Hay

That was the powder's fault.

11. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

.22lr HV

Sounds nuts, but Zombies will be coming by the thousands in waves. Any other ammo under an realistic budget would run out.

12. Godfather911

Godfather911 Springfield, OR. Member

Run an AR "wet". Meaning, keep the bolt lubed. Shooting an AR with water in the barrel or worse,chamber could result in an explosive incident. NOT recommended. Certain weapon's can be fired underwater, but not too many.
    AR's are more accurate out past the AK. Each are designed for different reason's. They both will kill within 200yds,and further. But 200yds is what most,or should say,less then 200 actually, incidents will happen. In an open desert. 308 shines...logically, you want to egress from a situation then stay in an aggression. You will live longer. You pick-up what is at hand from your surroundings. Weapons and such...
    I had 2 cases shipped to my door of 5.45 for $280. 2160 rounds of awesomeness. It's used to punch mostly paper. But if SHTF, it's a "combat round" too...

13. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

ARs for zombies are crap. You want a 30 cal.. Period.
    7.62 x39, .308.. Etc.
    12 gauge is ideal too but at a closer range obviously.
    However, if I was you I'd invest more time in the study of firearms, calibers and ammo.
    You'll get a ton of suggestions here, but once you learn works for you stick with that. don't let anyone tell you an akm can't touch something out at 300 yards, because it can.
    However I've read some of your comments and posts jimmy.. And you don't come off as gun friendly.. Just throwing that out there.

14. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

ZOMBIE MADNESS

15. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

30.jpg
    24l7p5l.jpg

[video=youtube;am76xV8Aubk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am76xV8Aubk[/video]

16. JimmyS1985

Im only not friendly in the sense that I believe some people abuse their 2nd amendment "rights" which harms the community as a whole, such as Ted Nugents comments towards politicians he disagrees with.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, Nugent launched an even more direct attack at then-candidate Barack Obama, calling him a "piece of s**t."

"I told him to suck on my machine gun," Nugent said while brandishing two machine guns on stage at an August 2007 concert, according to Rolling Stone.

The rocker then took aim at Obama's Democratic primary rival Hillary Clinton, saying to his cheering concert-goers, "Hey Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless b**ch."

Sharon Angle said that if the tea party didn't get its way, there would be 2nd amendment "remedies" I assume she meant targeting democratic law makers for assassination with that comment. I said the NRA comes to the defense of guns in situations where more guns clearly don't solve a situation, such as when that 9 year old boy brought his .45 automatic handgun to class and shot and critically injured a classmate.

Allen Wests campaign chairwoman said "If Ballots don't work, Bullets will"

Not friendly towards guns definitely involves being responsible and not abusing the 2nd amendment to advance your own agenda.

GOP Newsletter In Virginia Advocates For Armed Rebellion If The American People Re-Elect President Obama | Addicting Info

This article has a GOP newsletter threatening an armed rebellion if the GOP don't win this fall and Obama wins reelection even though he has done nothing so far to infringe on gun rights. To me this is what makes some gun owners look like crazy tin-foil hat nut jobs in this country, the very idea that we would overthrow the government because of a political defeat. Something similar happened in 1860 called the civil war and resulted in 600,000 Americans deaths. I don't think we want to go back to those days just because of a political defeat, but the same states that started that mess, in this case Virginia, want to restart it all over again, apparently not learning their lesson the first time and itching to wreak mayhem and havoc on this country.

edit: I don't want this thread to turn into something political or get closed.

I love guns, I love shooting them, I love pulling that bolt back on the polytec ak-47 and having thirty rounds ready to go, making that gallon jug fly 15 feet in the air, I like opening a bolt-action rifle, pulling the bolt back, ejecting a shell, shoving the bolt forward and pulling it back down. I don't see my love of guns as a tool in which to advance some kind of political agenda which unfortunately some people do. I simply enjoy going out in the wilderness, and the only things I wreak havoc on with them is beer cans and paper targets.

And I also enjoy legally being able to buy as much fire power as I am legally allowed, so I like semi-automatics and high capacity magazines.

17. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Those people were speaking and making comments, that is not "abusing the Second Amendment", that is exercising their First Amendment right to freedom of speech. It looks like the First Amendment is the one you really have problems with.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anyone derail their own thread before.

13294213770851.png

18. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

One of these

A few truck loads of this
    169-7416-franklin-construction-adhesive.jpg

And I'd just glue them down.

Then I'd go after them with one of these!!!

mowers.jpg

or this

hydrema_pi082602a3.jpg

Or old school.

4123841301_27a5d1f5d8.jpg

So what's your plan for vampires? How about werewolves? I mean, since we're talking fictional beings.

19. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

When you move to AZ there is a great place called J&G Sales, 440 Miller Valley Road, Prescott, AZ, 86301 these guys are great to deal with.
    They will give you better prices when you walk in the door then on the internet..

20. JimmyS1985

Prescott is too far, Arizona is a large state, Ill be moving to Tucson.

Ill take the M4 Sherman with the mine clearer, since Im a huge fan of WWII.