JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

which is the next obsolete cartridge?

• .357 sig

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • .45 gap

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • .38 super

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 5.7x28

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 10mm

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • none of the above or other (if other, say which)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I'm curious which cartridge (if any) is the next to fall by the wayside? Before anybody gets their panties in a bunch because their favorite caliber is on the list, I'm aware of the ballistics of all these cartridges and know what specific advantages they have. I'm not saying any of them are a bad, in fact they're all pretty impressive, but I've been seeing shops be out of these particular rounds for long stretchs and in some cases not even stocking them.

Last Edited:
.38 super has been around for a very long time, 10mm has lasted over 20 years. 5.7 is one that is hard to guess, it just depends on if there ever are any more guns designed in this caliber, and if there are more military police contracts. Also depends on how many kids are playing goldeneye :D

I see the GAP and sig going the way of the dinosaurs and short/supershort magnum craze.

Funny thing is that when I bought my first Glock, they had just come out with .40 S&W and I thought for sure that was going to die, so I went with the 9mm instead. Now, all these years later...

I have no idea what's next on the caliber death list. I'd also guess 5.7 or 45 GAP or 357 Sig, but only because I'm not interested in those rounds and don't really follow them.

Funny thing is that when I bought my first Glock, they had just come out with .40 S&W and I thought for sure that was going to die, so I went with the 9mm instead. Now, all these years later...

Well at least .40 filled the big gap between 9mm and .45, although this was already partially filled by .38 super.

But it seems that .357 sig and .45 gap are answering questions that no one ever asked.

357 sig is too good to die, more accurate than the others, all but the five-seven. Velocity, accuracy, and knock-down. The 45 GAP makes less sense to me, same performance, smaller case. Does it really make that much difference, especially when 99% of 45's are ACP?

SIG ROCKS.

Back when i used to sell at gun shows, before the ffl requirements, I used to buy and sell every 38 super I could get ahold of. There would always be a couple guys buy them all, then take them out to the parking lot and sell them to the hispanics fresh over the border. When I asked one of these buyers about it he told me that in Mexico they cant have military calibers like 9mm and .45 so 38 supra was "THE" hot caliber to them. Once I found out that where they we all going I quit handling them. I see the 357 sig and the 45 gap going by the wayside. the 17 mach2 was a joke from the beginning, not suprised to see that going bye bye.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top