JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I keep a variety of tools for a variable force response capability.

At the bottom are the aluminum t-ball bat, next up, Fox Mark IV pepper spray, an M-series Taser.

Then we have tritium-sights-equipped Glock 21 with Federal HST's, tritium-sighted AR-15 with 20 Frangibles.

Depending on the threat we can choose to discourage, temporarily blind, shock to the floor, or stop just about any 2-legged critter.

I keep a variety of tools for a variable force response capability.

At the bottom are the aluminum t-ball bat, next up, Fox Mark IV pepper spray, an M-series Taser.

Then we have tritium-sights-equipped Glock 21 with Federal HST's, tritium-sighted AR-15 with 20 Frangibles.

Depending on the threat we can choose to discourage, temporarily blind, shock to the floor, or stop just about any 2-legged critter.
HST, my Current favorite in everything but the LCP and for that I use Corbon DPX. As pretty as flower:

a7698140ce325d46aea925c2d4c6a3e6_small.jpg

I've seen several demonstrations that show rifle rounds (say a .223) will penetrate fewer walls than a handgun round (say 9mm). While the handgun round just punches through the elongated bullet from the rifle starts to yaw upon hitting the first layer of sheetrock. This means the bullet will often hit the next layer sideways which means it starts to slow down on hitting the next layers. Even hollow point handgun rounds just fill up with chalk from the drywall and keep punching holes.

As to birdshot from a shotgun not having enough penetration, I only ask at what range that was calculated. Most self-defense shootings in the home are going to be at 7 yards or less (unless you have a huge house). At that range even #8 shot is going to do serious damage.

Also, there is a reason most SWAT and army folk do not draw their pistols when clearing rooms. A carbine is only a couple of inches longer than a handgun at full extension.

In my mind the only reason to use a pistol in home defense is because you were silly enough to put your rifles in the gun safe down in the garage or basement instead of the bedroom closet where you could get to them.

-Brian

When you deal with self defense, its not about damage, its about stopping the threat. Birdshot may cause damage, but that's not what you'd be shooting for.

The reason SWAT uses their primary guns is just that, they are their primary weapons... A handgun is always a secondary weapon on SWAT. When in tight quarters, SWAT and military will transition to handguns instead of their primary.

Also, you would be correct about carbines being slightly longer that someone holding a handgun at full isosceles, but the advantage to them is a handgun can be draw back into the body in a more defensive position and to clearing corners.

For most people, a handgun is the only choice simply because they don't have the money or time to dedicate to multiple firearms and training time. Mot people want a gun that can carry AND use at home for self defense.

I would actually like to see someone maintain proficiency with one weapon than try to shoot "so-so" with multiple weapons.

theres a guy that lives here in hillsboro that seems to have a pretty good approach to proper home defense... he has a few IDPA or IPSC targets out front on his garage door with a bunch of hits in the head and center mass... thats a pretty good start to deterring home invasions i would say. my approach is my USMC flag out front... unless people are brave or stupid, those options should keep them from wanting a couple LCD tv's. after that its either my glock 17 or springfield 1911 (i alternate to alleviate mag spring wear) i have kept my 870 express mag full of 00 buck, but now i just rely on those 2 pistols (and reliable they are!) and before someone calls me out for possibly killing the neighborhood with stray rounds... theyre both loaded with lower velocity federal hydra shok

Springfield XDm 9mm. Wife couldn't hit the ground she stands on, so 19+1 and told her to stay in the bedroom doorway. Let whoever comes in the house take whatever they want, but if they try to come down that hallway, fire three shots. If they try again, empty it out. Everything in my house can be replaced, except for my wife, son, and daughter.

Yea, lots of wheelguns represented. I could echo what others have said; for me it is the reliability, instant readiness and decent firepower. I've had my Model 28 for so long ... I'm very comfortable with it and feel confident in my ability to hit something (someone), especially at "combat" distances. I've been shooting the "FBI" load for some time and have 100% confidence in the stopping power of the round.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top