JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What handgun for SHTF combat

• Fullsize HK USP

Votes: 32 23.7%
  • Springfield 1911

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • Glock 19

Votes: 62 45.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
In a situation where you knew there would be tactical engagements (riots, looting, the commies invade, chaos in the streets) What would be your sidearm of choice (of the options listed):

Glock 19 (9mm 14+1)
Fullsize HK USP (.45acp 12+1)
Springfield Milspec 1911 (.45acp 7+1)

I'm throwing together a grab bag in case S really hits the fan. Trying to decide what mags and holster to attach.

What are your thoughts?

Hm, from that list, I like 1911 the best. But I'd get Colt or something, not Springfield cuz I'm just like that. List needs more DA/SA steel frame wonder 9s though. Where's the sig p226 or cz-75?

Hm, from that list, I like 1911 the best. But I'd get Colt or something, not Springfield cuz I'm just like that. List needs more DA/SA steel frame wonder 9s though. Where's the sig p226 or cz-75?

list is composed of what I have available. my DA/SA wondernine is a Sig P6, but the limited mag capacity ruled that one out. for the same reason my revolvers or micro compacts are not listed.

First the price of HK is very expensive, save that money for 9mm ammos. I carry 45 cals daily just because I can afford 45 cals for target shooting to keep my personal defend. When SHTF 45 cal will be way too expensive to buy...... I will buy a glock 9mm and bunch of ammos save for SHTF.

Glock hands down. It has a higher capacity, is more than well-known for reliability, lightweight, durable, runs dirty as if it were born in a pigpen and, a big issue in 'shtf' stuff, the polymer frame wont rust ;)

At the end of the day though, whatever you shoot best with and conceals well. You'll probably never use it anyways.

Really, for me, it would be between the glock and the HK. 45 + high cap + full size = win. since CCW probably wouldn't be too much of an issue the extra sight radius is nice. But the out of the 3 the Glock would be the lightest and have the highest ammo to weight ratio. Also, with the glock you can run g17 mags and pick up a few extra rounds if you are really concerned about capacity. Is what it comes down to is which gun you feel most comfortable with and can shoot the best. I would rule out the 1911 just because of the weight and lack of capacity. Still a great side arm, but when it comes down to it, mag changes can slow you down at the worst times possible.

Glock? More capacity is necessary if you plan to miss a lot. If the 1911 has a good trigger and you know how to shoot it, that would be my choice. I have one of the first Kimbers made and it shoots excellent. I would recommend shooting star mags holds 8 rounds full size or 10 rounds extended.

Whatever is most familiar to you. I shoot 1911s, I would pick the Springfield because I am most oriented to that weapon system and if I can grab one of my nicer pistols all of the gear in the bag would be compatible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top