JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i consider this one the best i have ever owned and you can get them for $265.00 to $300.00 at the expo show, cal is 762x25 will penetrate 14 inches of solid pine and hollow points will penetrate 8 inches into water soaked phone books ! just my 2 cent,s :)

TT's are really cool guns. Thin, well-made, reliable, accurate, hard hitting, and 7.62 Tokarev (7.62x25) is probably the cheapest centerfire pistol cartridge of all of them. You can get 1200+ rounds for under $150. There's a couple of concerns with them though. The penetration may be excessive, I've personally used phone books to test 7.62 Tokarev FMJ against 9mm FMJ and got roughly twice as much penetration from the 7.62 round. So overpenetration may be a concern if in a densely populated neighborhood or something. They are rather cool as trail guns though. If you manage to locate any of the rather hard-to-find HP rounds in the 7.62 though, you'd likely have a VERY formidable SD weapon. There's also some concern as to how safe TT's are to carry with a round chambered, as these pistols were originally designed with only half-cock safeties, and all of the external safeties you see on them are added as something of an afterthought on account of import requirements. These added-on safeties, the consensus is, should not be counted on for cocked and locked carry. That said, I'd take a TT over a Hi Point or any of the pot metal pistols any day.

I would avoid the Smith and Wesson sw9ve and sw10ve, also called the Sigma. While fit and finish, accuracy and reliability may be fine, they have a terrible trigger. Some claim to tinker with the trigger and get it to their liking (and I did once, up to a point) I don't think they are worth the hassle, especially to someone new to the sport.

It would be easy to get swept into one because a used one is worth maybe $300 and it is a Smith and Wesson. It's a nice looking semi-auto.

Now, I've had people say they like the trigger just fine, but be aware there are lots of people who disagree with that.

I hope others here chime in on this.

SW40VE-1.jpg

The trigger is the only issue anyone ever has with these guns. I own one, and am fine with it, but it takes getting used to. It is a longer trigger pull then most guns, and a heavier trigger also. The triggers improve on them a little after throwing enough rounds threw them and breaking in the springs.

I think these are a fine first gun. The people who don't like them are people who have shot other handguns and are used to a lighter trigger. Its like any other gun you learn to shoot it and become accurate with it. Being used to a sigma and being accurate with it INMHO has made it easier to transition to shooting other handguns. I'd compare the pull to a double action revolver pull.

The short answer is any gun that doesn't work properly out of the box. It might even come from an otherwise quality manufacturer -- but if it's doesn't work as advertised when you pull it out and fire it up, then it's crap, IMO. I've seen this with a .32 ACP Beretta Tomcat, an S&W-made PPK/S in .380 ACP, and a Taurus 5-shot .38 revolver. I generally think of Beretta and S&W, at least, as quality manufacturers. But the pistols in question were total crap, which speaks to quality control issues, which perhaps even speaks to ... other issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top