JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One's I'd say to avoid are
-Jennings, Lorcin, or any of those questionable companies that aren't in business anymore 'cause the got sued by victims of somebody that got killed by a gangbanger that bought one for $85 new.
-No name revolvers (timing gets messed up and gun blows up in your hand and it'll ruin your day.
-Tauraus autos. I know that may piss off some people here but I've seen a ton of them break and being completely unreliable. Just from personal experience, not trying to bad mouth anyone out there's gun.

Cheap guns I'd say are worth purchasing
-Ruger p89, p90, etc. You can find them use for around $350 and they're pretty decent. I use to work on a range and they never broke. My buddy bought a p90 for his first gun and we shot a TON of ammo through it with zero malfuctions. They're heavy and will loosen up after you put 20K rounds down range over the years, but I'd say it he's not looking to break the bank and wants something he could trust his life to, go for one.
-Hi-point. Wouldn't be my carry gun but they're somewhat reliable and even if you buy one with issues, they have a transferrable lifetime warranty so send it back and tell them to fix it.
-Kel-tec. Sometimes you get a perfect one, sometimes not, but they'll make it right for you and they're very affordable.
-Makarovs. Great guns, affordable, ton of them out there.

The only truly bad gun I have had any experience with was jennings.

Brother in law has a 9mm hipoint and while its reliable, nobody there that day could consistently hit anything with it. Decent for the price.

My three choices for good cheap guns:

FEG PJK-9HP Hi-power clone. Excellent shooter for cheap.
Again, Makarovs. I have a 1961 EG and it's a great, reliable shooter.
Kel-tek. Cheap and american made.

I would avoid the Smith and Wesson sw9ve and sw10ve, also called the Sigma. While fit and finish, accuracy and reliability may be fine, they have a terrible trigger. Some claim to tinker with the trigger and get it to their liking (and I did once, up to a point) I don't think they are worth the hassle, especially to someone new to the sport.

It would be easy to get swept into one because a used one is worth maybe $300 and it is a Smith and Wesson. It's a nice looking semi-auto.

Now, I've had people say they like the trigger just fine, but be aware there are lots of people who disagree with that.

I hope others here chime in on this.

SW40VE-1.jpg

You can remove the slide after you press out the pin that retains it.

I think by "press out" you mean "pound out with a mallet."

I'd agree with the folks that have suggested any of the pistols chambered for 9mm Makarov. Generally speaking, these are affordable, reliable, accurate, and concealable.

I was told most Taurus semi-autos are crap..

Contrary, to what many people say, the S&W M&P semi autos are a fine handgun. Many think about the Sigmas, when they think about S&W semi-autos. S&W has made up for its past mistakes in the semi auto handgun world.

Avoid the Taurus PT-22, the firing pin will break if you dry fire it, which can happen since its DAO and unless you count your shots every time you will end up dry firing it on occasion. The Sigma I owned was reliable but trigger was horrible and accuracy was not good. They are coming up with an updated version that looks cool but only time will tell if the trigger has been fixed.

I would avoid the Smith and Wesson sw9ve and sw10ve, also called the Sigma. While fit and finish, accuracy and reliability may be fine, they have a terrible trigger. Some claim to tinker with the trigger and get it to their liking (and I did once, up to a point) I don't think they are worth the hassle, especially to someone new to the sport.

It would be easy to get swept into one because a used one is worth maybe $300 and it is a Smith and Wesson. It's a nice looking semi-auto.

Now, I've had people say they like the trigger just fine, but be aware there are lots of people who disagree with that.

I hope others here chime in on this.

SW40VE-1.jpg

I almost bought this gun at the Northwest Armory in Milwaukie for $339 new, I think it was this model. I had really been looking at the Hi Points though and couldnt justify spending that much money at the time until I had looked at the Hi Points which they dont sell there. I know nothing about handguns but did really like the feel of it, maybe it was just the size of my hands idk?

A friend had somebody give him a Hi-Point 9mm. You can't even remove the slide to clean/service it. P.O.S.

I dont buy anything without researching stuff. I guess im different than most people, a little ocd and way to organized.......Calling this gun a POS though is going a little far. Before I bought mine I already new how to remove the slide with a 1/8th punch and hammer which takes all of about 10 seconds. I also researched the feeding/jamming problems and new exactly what I was buying before I purchased it new here in town. I also read that there could be issues with fully loaded mags before break in was complete. Its funny how some people will buy a cheap gun, then bubblegum about said gun that has a lifetime warranty where alls you have to do is pay shipping back to the mfg. IMO said buyer is to cheap and lazy to box and pay shipping......

I bought my C9 cause honestly I could not even afford a "good" used gun at the 9mm or 40 cal level that i was looking into (**** even .380). I went to the range and put 50 rounds through my new C9 the other day. I started with only 6 rounds in each mag for the first 4 mags, after that I loaded 7 in each mag, 50 rounds with no issues at all. The gun shot great and pretty accurate but I will be sighting it in better next week.

I have nothing bad to say about HI Point yet, and the only time I would probably is if I had poor customer service issues should I need them, or had to send the gun in and got it back with problems again. For $150 new I am extremely happy that I have protection for my family now.

I like that saying I have seen around the gun forums with everyone who has never owned or shot a Hi Point talking bubblegum about them, something like "would you like to stand in front of one?".......

IMO the Hi-Point is a poorly engineered, semi-accurate, unwieldy hunk of metal, better used for driving 16d nails. but, that's just my opinion.

See, I did my research too and decided to stay from a P.O.S. My friend works in a reputable gun shop and he gets complaints about Hi-Points quite often, but they are cheap so they sell a lot.

Who cares if they have a lifetime warranty if you have to utilize it so often? Some may like them... good for them. They are not my cup of tea.

Bubblegum all you want if you feel a need to justify purchasing a somewhat useable, albeit inferior product. A Kia will never be as good as an Audi, despite it's 10-year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

What guns are total crap and need to be avoided and why.

Calibers considered are .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45ACP.

i usually just recommend a pistol that is part of a "series" and avoid anything that is an "unique" design. in 9mm, i.e. glock 17,19,26,34... or .40 xd40, xd40tac, xd40sc. 45acp...sig p220, p220 carry, p220 compact. If they make more than one variant size of it, you can almost bet that its worth looking at.

that being said, value wise...the ruger sr9c seems to be a decent pistol at a non crazy price. The numerous budget 1911's seem to be favored as well (metro arms, RIA) etc.

Never had a hipoint but I haved owned a Jennings .22lr and it was reliable, safe, and fun to shoot. I tried to make it fire on safe and off safe with an unfired casing and it never did. I would throw it all around the room and it never fired. With CCI minimags it was totally reliable. Wish I hadnt sold it as it was a lot of fun.

the sigma's aren't bad for the price and their triggers are not too bad as long as you keep the grit out of them (spray solvent) of course they will still be a bit heavy. I guess there is a quick mod to lighten it up by removing one of the two springs. I wouldn't do this on a defence weapon though.

If I was looking for a defence weapon that will rarely be shot I would pick up a (i can't beleive I'm going to say this ) used glock from a police return. Keiths has a bunch of full sized .40 cals

He ended up going with a 6 inch Taurus Judge. Who knew.

a good defense weapon/house gun. I'm considering getting one for carrying in our motorhome to replace the folding Win 1300 that I now have for that. Using the Win PDX1 410 makes them quite a manstopper. 3 or 4 of the Defense Disks and 12 BB pellets should do a good job. If not then there are 4 more to go!!

Sure wouldn't CC one though!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

SInce coming back from taurus my PT145 is awesome. Im vewry very fast and accurate with it, and ive only put about 200 down it.. Just got an XD40 SC and cant wait to shoot that this weekend :)

The Tuarus I got had been messed up by a previous owner, i dent it back they fixed it gave me two new mags and its very very quick to aim (for me at least) and for how small it is the recoil is managed remarkably well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top