JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My dad is looking for an inexpensive pistol and he keeps asking me about this brand or that brand. Once he asked about Hi-Point I figured I need to get him a list of models and/or brands for him to avoid. What guns are total crap and need to be avoided and why.

Calibers considered are .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45ACP.

Have him look around on gunbroker or anywhere else for a good used smith and wesson revolver. I picked up a nice serviceable if not too pretty one for $200. There are also still some police turn in revolvers available that are in good condition. I'd go with a used smith and wesson over a new cheap handgun every time.

Have him look around on gunbroker or anywhere else for a good used smith and wesson revolver. I picked up a nice serviceable if not too pretty one for $200. There are also still some police turn in revolvers available that are in good condition. I'd go with a used smith and wesson over a new cheap handgun every time.

+1 There are lots of used S&W K frame revlolvers out there for not a lot of money. M10, M13, M19, etc........ Also don't overlook a used Ruger Security Six. I've seen some really good deals on those and they are one of the best revolvers Ruger ever made.

Lorcin, Davis, Jennings, Jimenez, RG, Phoenix and Sccy are brands that should be avoided at all costs. They are not a bargain at any price.

Hi-points are cheap but they do seem to work adequately. At heart they are still a pot-metal, blowback-operated gun....albiet a fairly well refined one with decent customer service and a lifetime warranty.

If I had to buy a gun tomorrow and only had $150 or so I would probably buy one of those FEG Hungarian Makarov clones instead of a Hi-point, simply because they are lighter and more compact but with the same ammo capacity. They are pretty reliable guns but they shoot the 9x18 mm Makarov cartridge which isnt usually available at the local BiMart, although its pretty easy to order it online.

Lorcin, Davis, Jennings, Jimenez, RG, Phoenix and Sccy are brands that should be avoided at all costs. They are not a bargain at any price.

Hi-points are cheap but they do seem to work adequately. At heart they are still a pot-metal, blowback-operated gun....albiet a fairly well refined one with decent customer service and a lifetime warranty.

If I had to buy a gun tomorrow and only had $150 or so I would probably buy one of those FEG Hungarian Makarov clones instead of a Hi-point, simply because they are lighter and more compact but with the same ammo capacity. They are pretty reliable guns but they shoot the 9x18 mm Makarov cartridge which isnt usually available at the local BiMart, although its pretty easy to order it online.

+1 on the Makarov clones. Bare bones, but they do work pretty well and are better than the pot metal guns. Just go to ammoman.com or CTD and look for some deals on ammo.

My dad is looking for an inexpensive pistol and he keeps asking me about this brand or that brand. Once he asked about Hi-Point I figured I need to get him a list of models and/or brands for him to avoid. What guns are total crap and need to be avoided and why.

Calibers considered are .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45ACP.

There are several to avoid.

It would be better to ask "what is a good inexpensive pistol to buy"

Personal defense or plinking?

Charter Arms makes a great revolver for entry level defense. .38 Special and .357 Magnum.
Ruger makes an inexpensive semi-auto for about $350. P95 I believe?

I would recommend these 2 for getting his feet wet.

What to avoid???
Everyone's opinion is different on that.

Stick with name brands (Glock, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Kahr, etc) and he will do fine.

The "Gun Snob" in me would say to avoid Hi-Point, Lorcin, Jennings, Raven, Davis, RG, Sterling.............off the top of my head.

I finally got my Hi Point C9 to work after sending it back to the factory and a lot of tinkering. When I received after it was returned from the factory, it still didn't consistently cycle rounds. That sort of made me angry -- they got two chances to make the gun right, when they initially sent it from the factory and then when they serviced it -- and they couldn't get the darn thing to work well. I was subsequently able to get it to work consistently, but I can't recommend this firearm based on this.

Better to buy a good old 38 special service revolver or something like that.

Stick with name brands (Glock, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Kahr, etc) and he will do fine.

For acceptable quality at lower price point than the above, one could also consider....the KelTec P11, the Bersa Thunder semi-auto's, Taurus revolvers and steel-framed semi-autos (which are clones of S&W and Berettas) and Rossi revolvers.

Hi Points are junk. So bulky and not remotely accurate.
I have shot a Makarov a bit. They seem like a good value, but once again, ammo isn't local usually.

I would say get a used Ruger SR9 for $350, a $275 Taurus revolver, a used Glock for $375 (if you hunt around), or maybe even a Springfield Armory GI 1911 if you can find a used one. Better to save for a good quality gun than buy a junker that will not perform (or be worth anything on the resale).

It's taken me 65 years to learn to buy quality the first time, and you will only have to buy it once. Too many times I have bought for price, then regretted it, had to buy a second time and ended up spending more than if I'd bought quality the first time.

A friend of mine bought a hi-point in .40 recently. I put a hundered rounds or so through it and it seemed like a decent gun for the price. New it was $165 or something like that. It would be nearly impossibly to conceal, but the bonus is if you ran out of ammo you could throw it at the person! lol. Seriously though, it cycled fine and was reasonably accurate.

I have a Russian Makarov in 9x18. It is very concealable. I have had no problem at all sourcing the 9x18 ammo. It has always worked well and I still carry it in favor of my glock and other guns from time to time because of it's slim profile and all.

By the way, X2 on Jennings being crap!

I have a hi point 45 and my Dad has the c9.
Neither have had a problem yet.
I can't imagine carrying them though, they are heavy.
They're clunky, heavy, big, and not terribly ergonomic.
They're both plenty accurate, though.

If you can get Hi Points to work right, they are not so terrible. Good sight picture, fully adjustable sights, excellent service policy -- if the gun ever goes bad, they repair it, no questions asked. All gun manufacturers should have this policy.

I own a Hi-Point C9. Paid $150 for it. I also own Ruger P95 which is a great inexpensive gun but cost more than twice as much as the Hi-Point. Guess which one I had to tinker with to get it working properly? Yup, the Ruger. Had to do some filing. The Hi-Point worked great from day one. Usually the problems with the Hi-Points are related to the magazine feed lips.

Check out the Hi-Point forum.
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews